New fiberglass pool in Richmond Hill, ON Canada

NO grass!!! You will hate life in short order every time you have to deal with it.......cutting, edging, etc. There will be NO way to keep the grass out of the pool.

I DO like the river rock idea. The big ones would really look nice there! That is a very simple and clean look to me!

Kim:kim:

Day 15 - Main patio and pool wash
Finally caught up with the footage

I might have done something silly and rushed the pool clean up maybe, but the mess, hpb, dirt, etc in the pool was started to annoy me.
Worst case, I'll cover it - don't really want to refill it again - roughly 9 hours with a garden house - 6pm to 9am - benefit of a small pool I guess. And I didn't want to order a water tank again.

Last push - We are getting there, everything should be done and back to normal by Wednesday - 3 more days of mess.

Thanks for the feedback about sod vs no-sod; I need to find out if it is going to be a problem with the survey/permit/city, etc if I decide to go with some sort of gravel ( that would imply starting my diy zen garden earlier than planned ) as opposed to sod as originally stated in the permit drawings.
I want to make sure that they release my $3K deposit first.

I'm going to hope that all the city cares about is proper drainage, not so much what is the ground coverings. Stay tuned.

I understand why you wanted to clean it but...............lets not empty it again :shock: I was SO hoping it did not pop out of the ground from a high ground water level!! Once you get everything up and running you will be able to use a pool vacuum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I understand why you wanted to clean it but...............lets not empty it again :shock: I was SO hoping it did not pop out of the ground from a high ground water level!! Once you get everything up and running you will be able to use a pool vacuum.

Yeah - in hindsight, I should have waited for the pump and filter to run and then use a skimmer sock or something - conserve the water. The PB cleaning crew is unnecessary IMO.
Just ordered myself this -

So now that the pump and filter are running, water looks clear ( will try to take a pix tonight with the lights as well ). Time to read up on maintaining proper pool chemistry.

Thanks Kim.

I have the easytouch pentair automation and wireless access - from the demo app, I see that I can get the various water chemistry data.

First question is - how reliable are these - I believe that I would still need a testing kit.

If yes, any recommendation for a testing kit - I have the following three (3) I'm looking:

Starter Kit:
1. https://www.amazon.ca/Taylor-K-2000-Starter-Test-Kit/dp/B004BGTI98/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1529847203&sr=8-13&keywords=taylor+pool+kit

Middle ground I suppose:
2. https://www.amazon.ca/Taylor-K-2005-Complete-Test-Kit/dp/B001DNXK78/ref=pd_sbs_86_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001DNXK78&pd_rd_r=357966ac-77b3-11e8-a061-53ab090c2460&pd_rd_w=rySfz&pd_rd_wg=TmXCL&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_p=3743643050606576516&pf_rd_r=6QW7PEWRCCHYDYT9CV61&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6QW7PEWRCCHYDYT9CV61

Serious testing?
3. https://www.amazon.ca/TAYLOR-TECHNOLOGIES-K-2006-CHLORINE-FAS-DPD/dp/B004BGF7TI/ref=pd_sbs_86_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004BGF7TI&pd_rd_r=357966ac-77b3-11e8-a061-53ab090c2460&pd_rd_w=rySfz&pd_rd_wg=TmXCL&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_p=3743643050606576516&pf_rd_r=6QW7PEWRCCHYDYT9CV61&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6QW7PEWRCCHYDYT9CV61

I see on the forum, some folks also got the magnetic stirrer - maybe later down the road?

I'll scan through the forum as I suspect this is already addressed - but I'd like to keep the info on this thread for completeness of a new pool owner.

Of the above 3 only the 3rd one is worth your while.

1 only has two tests TC (total chlorine) & pH

2 has all of the tests BUT the chlorine test is only TC (total chlorine) and only goes up to 5 or 10

3 has all of the test BUT does not have enough regents to get through a summer for some of the tests.

Look around and see if you can find the Taylor 2006C It has more of the regents so in the long run you may save some money due to not having to order regents down the roal.

Now...............if you are close to the US border............or know someone who is coming to the States any time soon..............you could order the TF-100. It is the best bang for the buck because it has more of the regents we use daily. The one down side is they are not allowed to sell them up there due to Taylor having a lock on that area.

I am gonna disagree with all the no grass people. He has so much area left to cover. Area for the kids to play. even if he had a border of river rock, people would have to walk across it to get to the lawn. Not good in bare feet. Yes, some grass may get into pool but you dont cut it with the shute facing the pool. You could cut with a bag on.
Or synthetic grass. $10-14 a square foot installed. ouch.

I am gonna disagree with all the no grass people. He has so much area left to cover. Area for the kids to play. even if he had a border of river rock, people would have to walk across it to get to the lawn. Not good in bare feet. Yes, some grass may get into pool but you dont cut it with the shute facing the pool. You could cut with a bag on.
Or synthetic grass. $10-14 a square foot installed. ouch.

I came to the same conclusion - no point rushing the rock garden yet - pool builder is also more $$ for this kind of work anyway. Foot wide edge won't buy me anything yet in terms of grass clippings flying around.

This year, I have stopped grass cutting service, and decided to tackle it on my own because I was putting in a pool. FYI - I got the EGO lawn mower and trimmer which do an amazing job BTW in case you folks are looking for battery operated yard equipment. Mulching manages the grass clippings from flying all over the place.

Yep, got a quote for the synthetic grass around that price - still reading up on it

They say the fake grass lasts about 15 years. I wonder if this is not unlike roof shingles, because we all know a 25 year shingle only lasts 15 years at best. specially on the south face. Lots of money to get 8 or 10 years from. You could get sod and a full blown irrigation system for half the price.

I am a bit of a self proclaimed grass aficionado. Have always had the best lawn on the street at all my houses. Mulching is good but you have to cut more frequently. Mulching 3 or 4 inches of growth is messy and not good for the lawn IMO.
Btw, I cant wait ti get my sod done because the dust is going in the pool. hate it.

They say the fake grass lasts about 15 years. I wonder if this is not unlike roof shingles, because we all know a 25 year shingle only lasts 15 years at best. specially on the south face. Lots of money to get 8 or 10 years from. You could get sod and a full blown irrigation system for half the price.

I am a bit of a self proclaimed grass aficionado. Have always had the best lawn on the street at all my houses. Mulching is good but you have to cut more frequently. Mulching 3 or 4 inches of growth is messy and not good for the lawn IMO.
Btw, I cant wait ti get my sod done because the dust is going in the pool. hate it.

I tend to keep my lawn 3" to 4" - or whatever the max height my lawn mower allows and it stays green in summer - less watering

So, quick update - we're switching to full pea gravel around the pool deck - basically, I jump started my rock/zen garden - still have the other half of the yard for grass - getting new sod. Exciting times, they are wrapping up tomorrow.

Looking forward to Canada Day long weekend - we're expecting 40 degrees celcius

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.