Pool Company or Concrete Company?

kchinger

Aug 20, 2017
Southeast PA
I have a plaster pool that is showing its age on the coping and the decking. Some cracks in a few coping stones (they're pebble looking concrete things I think), some cracking in the concrete decking and the plastic dividers between slabs, and then a lot of the caulk (grout?) under the coping where it attaches to the pool plaster/tile line is missing. I've also got a few missing tiles on the waterline in places, but I might just glue those back on myself.

Is this something I need a pool renovation company for, or could I just go directly with a concrete/masonry repair company? Would they be able to handle the coping and everything else? Is there anything that really makes this pool specific other than being near a pool?

Thanks.

If you want the coping to be Concrete you will likely have to find a pool company or at the very least a concrete company that works with one regularly. It would be a rare contractor that would have access to and know how to use the forms that form the bull-nose. No matter who you go with make sure they put the bonding grid back in place it will certainly get torn up with the demo.

Just to circle back in case someone finds this:

Had a guy come out today. I'm still waiting on the quote, but he recommended not doing anything. The coping isn't made anymore (it was made by Anthony and Sylvan a while back) and the tile isn't made anymore. So repair is basically out of the question. Since the coping is still fine (just a couple minor cracks, nothing structural, but starting to come loose in general from the ground and each other) and the tile is mostly good save for a couple missing tiles which I have, his recommendation was to wait until it gets really bad, and just glue those few tiles back in myself.

Basically just cosmetic stuff I can live with, nothing structurally wrong according to him.

The only fix is basically to rip up all the coping and tile and redo the entire thing from scratch, which is a little more than I was wanting to take on right now.

Nice to hear someone that is willing to say "nope don't need to take your money yet" Keep his name for when you are ready to do the whole thing to pretty it up.

Kim:kim:

And I left out the best part. He used some of his putty (plus dye to test first) to fix a couple small leaks in the skimmer and the lead-in to the skimmer (not sure what this part is called, still skimmer?). For free. While giving me a quote for work that he was telling me not to have him do.

Not a bad deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.