LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2015
Spokane, Washington State
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is the TFP method becoming too popular? Is anyone else having trouble finding (affordable) bleach? I've always purchased my gallon jugs at Target (Target brand bleach, around $2.89 a gallon) but the last three weeks the shelf has been completely bare! Three weeks!!! Even the brand-name Clorox was in short supply, just one or two gallons on the shelf yesterday, but I'm balking at paying nearly $5 per gallon.

Anyway, I guess the price isn't really the issue as you pay what you have to when you need something. But I'm alarmed by the shelf of bleach being bare for three consecutive weeks. Anyone else noticing that bleach has suddenly become more popular and harder to find?

Be wary of the household bleaches at the stores now. They all seem to have designer additives. Clorox has 'Cloromax', do no use it. Walmart, etc have 'Fabric Protection', do not use it. Nor any with scents or splashless.

Seems the safest to use is Liquid Chlorine, Liquid Shock, or Chlorinating Liquid. Walmart has a Pool Essentials brand. Home Depot has a HDX brand. Just watch for dates: There is a number 18XXX on the bottle. The XXX represents the number of days in 2018 the bottle was filled. Look for stuff less than a couple months old.

Take care.

I know not to buy the "low splash" (made that error last summer) or the scented kind. There is plenty of that garbage on the shelves but just regular plain bleach, not so much. Thanks for the tip about Home Depot, guess I'll try there next.

Is the TFP method becoming too popular? Is anyone else having trouble finding (affordable) bleach? I've always purchased my gallon jugs at Target (Target brand bleach, around $2.89 a gallon) but the last three weeks the shelf has been completely bare! Three weeks!!! Even the brand-name Clorox was in short supply, just one or two gallons on the shelf yesterday, but I'm balking at paying nearly $5 per gallon.

Anyway, I guess the price isn't really the issue as you pay what you have to when you need something. But I'm alarmed by the shelf of bleach being bare for three consecutive weeks. Anyone else noticing that bleach has suddenly become more popular and harder to find?

I am also having a hard time finding the bleach I used from Target. I have always used their brand 8.25% with no additives and it worked great. I have had to switch to Wal Mart to buy Pool Essentials 10% bleach. It’s about a dollar more than what I was paying for Target’s bleach but it is a full 128 ounces and not the 121 that Target had.

I know not to buy the "low splash" (made that error last summer) or the scented kind. There is plenty of that garbage on the shelves but just regular plain bleach, not so much. Thanks for the tip about Home Depot, guess I'll try there next.
Gotta be careful, avoid the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas also.

We just purchased 12.5% bleach at the pool store in a five gallon jug for $25 which includes a $5 deposit for the container. I think this is where we will end up (at the pool store buying bleach) as I have experienced the same situation with household bleach in the various super markets and department stores

10% bleach versus 8.25%, plus another 7 ounces....sounds good!

- - - Updated - - -

This is only my third season using TFP method so I don't have a lot of background experience with bleach shortages. But I NEVER had any problem finding bleach on the store shelves until just the last three weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I try to avoid the "pool store" at all costs, but I'll keep this in mind if I get desperate. Thanks!

i use the 6% Cleaning Bleach at Walmart for $1.77/gallon. The shelves are often empty so I keep an inventory.

I spoke with an assistant manager at a neighborhood Walmart and ordered 40 gallons. 3 days later it came in and I picked it up. This may last me the rest of the season. I don't pay any attention to the manufacturing dates since 6% is much more stable than the higher concentrations. Bleach is almost $1 more from Walmart online ordering. I have to order it in person in the store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I saw this at meijer today. The pour date on the box was 6-1-18 and 10% so it's really fresh and at a great price too. Hope this helps
66537e79161b3169fe72aea7b84462a9.jpg

My Wal-Mart carries the same 6% Cleaning Bleach for $2.60 per gal
The color of the band has changed from blue to green, but I did not see any change in the ingredients. Was afraid that they added a lime scent or something.

Hey that the concentrated bleach, the cleaning is $1.77!

I have noticed at my Walmart the cleaning bleach is cleaned out a lot, people figured out the lower % of concentrated rather fast

I am not in front of what I bought but I buy my Clorox from Costco for about $9.50 for 3-1 1/2 gallon packages. Somehow "low splash" is ringing in my ears. Is this "low splash" and what is wrong with using it in your pool. Thanks for the help!

Clorox is now only selling products with 'Cloromax'. It is a polymer additive known to foam up if used in pools.

Most household plain bleaches are now 6%. So look for Liquid Chlorine at Walmart (Pool Essentials), Home Depot, etc. Check the dates. There is a number 18XXX on the bottle. The XXX represents the number of days in 2018 the bottle was filled. Look for stuff less than a couple months old.

Either. The 'Shock' is 10%. Not sure what the other is.

Watch the dates on Home Depot stuff. They store their pool stuff outside. Heat degrades bleach quickly.

Walmart stores their Pool Essentials stuff inside. At least here they do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.