Soon to be former Pristine Blue owner

Jonesy

Jun 10, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Hi everyone.

Yes, I got “pool stored” with the low maintenance, PristineBlue last month for our new 24’ AGP. It has been working “fine”, but I have noticed that towards the end of our 2 week cycle of adding chemicals, (we add PBlue every 2 weeks, with PClean and PClear and 2 lbs of Dy-Chlor II through the skimmer) the pool seems to have a LOT of particulate and the water is cloudy.

This is my first time having our own pool, but I remember from the days of my youth all my friends that had pools, the water was always crystal clear.

Anyway, I also have to vacuum every few days as what appears to be dirt (fine, red dust) seems to settle in the seams and valleys created by the sand under the liner. I know we have red dirt here in Alabama, but there can’t be THAT much in the air.

So I decided to Google PristineBlue and read something other than their website. Every link, forum, website, etc that I found, including here, talks about the dangers of PB, the issues with it, and I’ve come to the conclusion that we are swimming in bath water that we attempt to sanitize every two weeks with Dy-Chlor II.

Needless to say, when I mentioned the “bath water” thoughts to my wife, I got that look that says “what are you going to do to fix this?” So here I am, I’m ordering the TFTestKit today and going to figure out the process/timeline to switch over to the TFPC method, to include draining the pool while scrubbing the walls, etc to get rid of as much copper as possible. I’ll be posting in the “Just getting started” area once I “think” I have a grasp on the process, just so I can make sure I’m not forgetting something important (I think the filter may be an issue, not sure how to get the copper out of it).

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi and give a little backstory. Luckily I haven’t dumped too much into PB yet, but from everything I’ve read so far, it was still too much $$ for basically algaecide. Lesson learned.

Re: Soon to be former Pristine Blue owner

Welcome to the TFP pool! :splash:

Having used PB such a short time I don't think a drain/refill is in order.

What you are seeing is a low order algae outbreak in your pool. Chlorine will fix that.

Having ordered a TF100 test kit is a great first step. Until you get your kit, each day I want you to put 1/2 bottle of bleach (yes, the same stuff you use for laundry) in the pool with the filter running. Be careful, it needs to be plain bleach, no scents, no EZ-Pour and none of the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas.

Once you get your test kit an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test will prove the algae theory and a quick SLAM Process will fix things up.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So, welcome to TFP!!

Re: Soon to be former Pristine Blue owner

You think I can get away without draining? If that works out, that’s fantastic news!

Just ordered the test kit, so 1/2 bottle of bleach (non-scented, etc) a day it is until it arrives and I can figure out how to perform the tests.

I’m reading Pool School continually, learning so much.

Thanks!

And I just realized I botched the thread title, ugh, Prinstine.
Edit, thanks for fixing that for me!

Last edited:
Re:  Soon to be former Pristine Blue owner

And the test kit is in, and so are the initial results:
CYA 0
FC 0.5
CC 0
TA 130
CH 200ppm
PH 8.2+ (darker than the scale)
PH 7.9 using new meter, just verified against standard solution

I can’t SLAM until the weekend and don’t have any CYA on-hand yet. I do have some Dry Acid and a bucket of Dy-Chlor as well as a few bottles of bleach. Unsure of where to go from here.
The PH worries me as we want to use the pool, and I can keep adding a half gallon of bleach until I get some CYA, but I’m not sure.
I went ahead and went with 2 lbs of Dy-Chlor for now. It will give me a small amount of CYA and some FC to hold me over for a day or two. Plus I’d hate to see that expensive jug go to waste.

I’m not one of the TFP experts, so I’ll leave the guidance to them. I just wanted to make sure that you had seen the “Effects of adding chemicals” box at the bottom of the PoolMath page. Use it to keep track, in particular, of your Dichlor additions so that you know how much stabilizer you’re already working with when you begin your slam in earnest. It looks like you just raised it a little over 8 ppm. The chlorine will degrade. The CYA will stay even if you can’t test it at this point.

Ok, today’s numbers:
CYA 20
PH 7.5
FC 6.5

I hung a sock with 32 Oz of CYA (just short of what is needed to get a CYA of 40).

Should I add bleach to up the chlorine? I can’t monitor a SLAM until tomorrow night, so I don’t want to waste resources being I have FC for now.

- - - Updated - - -

So ... is it a copper algaestat, then you hit it with chlorine to decrease the risk of waterborne illness?

That’s basically how we treat non bathing ornamental fountains...

That’s my take on it. Wish I had researched it more. Stuff wasn’t cheap....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is this a new test kit? Put what you have in your signature.

Add enough chlorine to add 5 ppm per day until you can get to full SLAM.

Take care.

Ok, so I started a SLAM on Friday afternoon, passed the OCLT Saturday night, and today my numbers are:
FC 6.5
CC .5
CH 150
TA 140
PH 7.5
CYA 40

I think I’m doing it right, water looks FANTASTIC, so I guess my change from that “stuff that I will no longer name” is complete!

I did go ahead and add 9 Oz of 10% today to bump me back up to 7 FC. Any other suggestions?

Ugh, pool started getting cloudy this past week, back up to SLAM because......I didn’t clean the skimmer very well during the last one. Water levels rose this past week due to rain, put the growth back in the water. Yeah, don’t forget to clean your skimmer while SLAMming :rolleyes:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support