Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lightning radar

1. Back To Top    #1

Lightning radar

Can anyone please direct me to a link for a weather site that provides information that is up to date on lightning strikes? I somehow ran across one on weather.com but haven't been able to get to it again, but it was about an hour behind anyway so that is not good enough. We have these sudden storms that come up in the afternoon but sometimes it is just a dark looking cloud, and I would like to know what is really going on. I don't want us in the pool if there is lightning! Thanks!
    24' Seaspray Evolution CLX Above Ground Pool (~13600 gallons)
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD60 / 22.5" filter / Maximum Flow Rate 60 GPM
    Pentair Dynamo Pump 1 1/2 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lightning radar

There is a local AM station here that I listen to and if there is lightning anywhere I can here the crackle on the radio. Only occasionally am I able to see the lightning at the same time as the static crackle so I know it must bring in lightning static from a very large area. Often I can't even see the shower that is crackling but here in Houston we do get widely scattered thrunderstorms. I suspect that it is catching static from anything in the listening area but I cannot be sure. This station is sort of low powered, not sure if that would help you at all to find a similar station in your area.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

[center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies! I've noticed that about AM radio stations but we live too far away to pick up any stations on that band. They sound like that all the time! I always thought it was interesting though.

The links were helpful. The first one in particular. It is still not a live version (it is delayed by almost an hour), but that along with the combination of the one that predicts future lightning strikes will help put me at ease.

Thanks again!

5. Back To Top    #5

i've had good luck with weatherbug.com...even their live doppler is maybe 5 mins delayed, but I can usually tell how long the party has until we have to run inside
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

There are portable sensors that are available that can be programmed to set off an alarm when the lightning is less than XX miles away. Me, being a meteorologist, I look up where the thunderstorms are on any online radar website, with my personal favorite being(there are commercial sites, also);

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/

Steve
    18' x 36' vinyl, 3' shallow - 9' deep
    Hayward Perflex E65
    Hayward Superpump.

7. Back To Top    #7

According to our meteorologist, if you can hear thunder, there is the possiblity of being struck by lightening. I use that as a rule; if its thundering, no swimming.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for more replies! I can't always hear thunder when the kids are laughing and playing and my ears are full of water! Sometimes it is just hard to tell whether it is a harmless dark cloud or a lightning producer. I've lived in Florida my whole life. There can be blue sky all around and just one little cloud off in the distance and people have been killed by a lightning strike. You just can't count on hearing the thunder rumble. I never really cared or worried about it until I had kids. It's true what the commercial says...having a baby changes everything!

I used Amontilado's link and eventually stumbled onto this site : http://www.lightningstorm.com/explorer.html

I am also going to look into getting the sensors. We go through spells where we have thunderstorms popping up every afternoon so it would be very comforting to have an alarm.

Thanks again!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by h2ctpdjl
    According to our meteorologist, if you can hear thunder, there is the possiblity of being struck by lightening. I use that as a rule; if its thundering, no swimming.
    Around Dallas area we have widely scattered thunderstorms too and lots of lightning. One area can get loads of rain. A very few miles away can be totally dry. I have heard/read about people getting hit even if the lighting/thunder is many miles away. Someone please elaborate. It happened a few years ago to some construction workers in north Dallas.

If it is stormy off to one direction, even without hearing any thunder, I pull all humans/animals away from area of pool and trees. "Normal" rain is so rare here (we usually don't get rain, rather storms dumping lots of precip in short periods of time - flash flooding is frequent here) if it is not thundering at all I do odd jobs outside just to enjoy the "normal rain" (not storms). We even get thunder and lightning snow storms, although Northerners would laugh at our "snow storms".

I grew up in north central Kentucky so I have experience with "real winter". I just wish we would get more snow here and less ice storms and black ice.

geekgranny=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    i've had good luck with weatherbug.com...even their live doppler is maybe 5 mins delayed, but I can usually tell how long the party has until we have to run inside
    If you use Windows Vista you can add Weatherbug to the sidebar without paying for a subscription. Clicking on the animated icon, on sidebar, takes you to a main Weatherbug site. Otherwise a yearly subscription to Weatherbug only cost around $20 which is a great price for all you get. We can only get down to "regional" for the lightning map but not down to "local" as you can with other maps such as Doppler.

Weather Underground is another great site. http://www.wunderground.com/

geekgranny=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine