Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Catfish as pool cleaners

1. Back To Top    #1

Catfish as pool cleaners

Not so sure this is a good idea.....

http://www.wptv.com/content/news/centra ... NSCBQ.cspx

24000gal IG Plaster, Jandy 2Hp, Jandy CL460 Cartridge, Polaris 280 w/booster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Catfish as pool cleaners

unfortunately, due to the economy and growing number of foreclosures this has become more common place than you may think. If you have a vacant foreclosed home with now what is a man-made pond, there are towns/agencies that will dump fish in the water to prevent mosquitos, bugs...etc
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I saw that article this morning. I couldn't help but wonder since I also care for a large aquarium, aren't the fish only going to expel waste from what they are consuming and further contaminate the water with nitrates, etc... ? Also, catfish are bottom feeders and not likely to be feeding on the mosquitos on the surface.

I'm not convinced that this is good solution. But desperate times call for desperate measures. This seems to be just that.

ON EDIT: If it were a house next to me I would be making nightly visits and dumping clorox in there myself
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner

4. Back To Top    #4

yeah, but how about catfish for algae and mosquitofish for larve

http://www.azcentral.com/news/green/...612inside.html
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Only the mosquito fish make any sense to add to forclosure pools. Other fish will just transform algae from the wall to poop on the floor, although I suppose a catfish would also eat frogs and tadpoles -- maybe that is their purpose.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.