Newbie Canuck from the North

May 26, 2018
Guelph/ON/Canada
Hey guys,

My wife and I just moved into a new-to-us house in February here in the Toronto area. New to pool ownership, although I did maintain an above ground pool for a year at a rental home in Sydney Australia. At that pool I always kept the Cl and pH in normal range and never had any issues.
The SWCG is new to me along with the heat pump and robot cleaner.

This year we opened the pool to mess with serious Mustard Algae. Being new I went to the recommended local pool store and it has been an expensive ride so far. They did not believe that I had yellow algae until I did the vitamin C / Cl puck tests to prove it was organic (thank you TFP site!). After 3 weeks I still have mustard algae and a much lighter wallet. I am going to spend this weekend reading through more of the info on this site. Next week I will start the process over from baseline and post any questions I may have.

One starting question that I have not found and answer for yet is a recommended chemical inventory for best economy. There is a confusing and expensive array of products out there and I see a lot of references to more economic "basic" versions of the right chemicals mentioned.

Based on the education I have gained from this site already I will be donating. You guys are a great resource!

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

First, you need a proper test kit. Sadly, they are expensive in Canada. You are about 80 miles from the US border. I suggest ordering a TF100 test kit from TFTestkits.net and having it shipped to a mail drop site in the nearest border town from you. Then drive down and get the kit.
Be sure to order the XL version as you will need the additional FAS-DPD test reagents. I also suggest the SpeedStir. Makes testing easier.

What you need as far as chemicals depends on what you need pool water chemistry wise. All pools need Chlorine, daily. Your SWCG will supply that. You will need buy liquid chlorine to kill the algae and get the water clean and sanitary before your SWCG can take over.

Normal pools need muriatic acid to lower pH.

That typically is about it. You might need some salt as I imagine your water is lowered for winter.

Welcome again!

Take care.