Sufficient Aeration to Incrase pH (Photo Attached)

JPMorgan

Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I always thought the previous owner constructed this little sprinkler contraption for fun in the pool when I found it. After 20 years... and now learning that aeration increases pH, I realize that he may have been using it for pool chemistry.... or both.

Does this look like sufficient aeration to raise pH? Should I try to do more? Thanks for any thoughts. (Tried to post a short video, but couldn't.)

Pool Pics 004.jpg

Thanks, Maddie. I just put the sprinkler on and pH is reading about 7.2 today. What should I expect in terms of a rise in pH? It is about 4:00 pm in Chicago.. Will I see any impact yet today if I test again tonight? Tomorrow morning? I had to add some water also and I have the hose on spray setting also hitting the surface of the pool to add a little more aeration. Thanks again.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a try and see what happens. Would a more solid stream of water hitting the surface provide even better aeration? By the way.... fill water is about 7.7 pH after testing it tonight so that should bring up the pH a bit also. Just about to go test the pool water again and see if the aeration and fill water moved the needle on pH today from 7.2 at 4:00 pm.

JP - I had a similar issue where I needed to get my PH up this week, ended up making my own contraption similar to yours. I pointed the jets close to the water to penetrate and get the most churn out of it. I was getting about a .2 pH change for about a ~6 hour run. Granted I can't run my pump on high that long since my neighbor is a PITA, but that was on 50% on my VS pump.

Agree with Malico, the more water churn you can get (bubbles in pool and breaking surface) the faster you can effect the PH (from certain levels)

This is ours =)
poolaerationreturn.jpg

Here is mine, some PVC and a 3D printed nozzle for some jet action!

3dprint.jpg

Thanks for the pics and the info. Never new about increasing pH through aeration until I joined this site.

So will it work better if water is coming from below the surface and roiling the surface (like splashpads set up)? Or is it better to have jets shooting down though the water surface (like Mailco's set up)? I have also heard hitting the surface with a power washer works well. I have one, but sure don't want to stand there for hours running that noisy thing!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It must depend on TA and pH. My Intex comes with a built in aerator. Can't say I'm being overwhelmed by the effect although it looks cool. Lots of small bubbles should be good I would think.

Attachments

• 2018-05-24 20.09.48.jpg
    2018-05-24 20.09.48.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 87
Very cool! Looks like that set up provides a lot of aeration. I will have to work on something like that.

Does it work well? What kind of rise do you get in pH over what period of time? I understand that as the pH rises toward ideal levels the effect of aerating diminishes. is that correct?

Thanks for the pics and the info. Never new about increasing pH through aeration until I joined this site.

So will it work better if water is coming from below the surface and roiling the surface (like splashpads set up)? Or is it better to have jets shooting down though the water surface (like Mailco's set up)? I have also heard hitting the surface with a power washer works well. I have one, but sure don't want to stand there for hours running that noisy thing!!!

If you want to run an air compressor, dropping a line and having many small bubbles coming from deep within the water will give the fastest effect.

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool! Looks like that set up provides a lot of aeration. I will have to work on something like that.

Does it work well? What kind of rise do you get in pH over what period of time? I understand that as the pH rises toward ideal levels the effect of aerating diminishes. is that correct?

Correct, an equilibrium is met eventually =)

Here is my apparatus, we had to add some water as well so we used a fireman's nozzle on a 1.5" hose instead of the normal 3" hose, in the process of lowering TA so getting all the help I can on aeration

. IMG_2352[1].jpg

First post here, but been a lurker since last midsummer.

Whoa, baby! That looks like some heavy duty aeration going on there!

Photos getting increasingly interesting on this Thread and now my first post looks like peanuts! What's next...... multiple water cannons lined up around someone's pool??? :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.