Balancing chemicals after pool opening

Hello,

We had the pool opened Tuesday afternoon. The water was a little cloudy/slightly greenish but not too bad. The guy dumped some liquid chlorine in it.

Today I worked at vacuuming etc. Water is looking much more clear. Did a reading and came up with the following readings:

FC 12.5
CC 1
pH 7.7
CH 150
TA 60
CYA 20

I need to SLAM, but where do I start? Should I put CYA in first or just slam with the levels where they are in which case my FC is close to where it should be , depending on what burns off tonight (I'm not running the SWG at the moment because I also have to add salt. I figured I would SLAM first and then get salt in and get the SWG running).

Should I bring my alkalinity up before SLAMing (in which case my pH will likely get too high so I'd have to bring that down) or can I adjust that after a successful overnight test?

Thank you so much!

p.s. I know a vinyl pool doesn't need calcium, but I've read that if calcium is too low, it could damage the pool heater. Is this true and if so what levels would I need to protect the heater?

It would be best to let the FC get below 10 and test your pH. Adjust that to 7.2. Then add 10 ppm worth of CYA powder to a sock and hang in front of a return. Start your SLAM based on the 30 ppm of CYA being in the water. Test and dose FC every couple hours.

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

Your TA is fine. If it gets to 50 you should add enough baking soda to raise it to 70.

Check your heater requirements. Not sure how valid that is, but you have CH 150 which should be sufficient.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.