Pool replacement advice

May 20, 2018
Boston MA
I could use some advice on how best to deal with our old pool.
We bought the house in MA a year ago. We knew the pool was in tough shape. When we opened it last year we saw the coping lifting up. We got through last summer without any major issues. We had somebody out this week to measure it for a liner replacement, hoping it could be salvaged. It turns out the walls are wood and they're not going to hold up much longer. Where the coping is lifted, you can see the wood and it is rotted through. He even said that if we drained the pool that the walls might collapse in. The deck is also in need of an update. It's started to sink on one side.
I've read that replacing can be a bigger job than initial installation. I like the sound of fiberglass (minus the cost). It should theoretically last as long as I plan to be in this house. I'd also be open to another vinyl installation.
I didn't see much info on here about pool replacements. Has anybody been in a similar position? I don't have any other specific questions, but I would appreciate any general advice or recommendations on the smartest way to update our pool.

At least it is not a gunite pool you are trying to fix/change........NOW that would be a handful for sure!

I like the idea of fiberglass as that will last quite a bit longer. The hole prep is the most important part of it.

Do you think YOU could remove the old wood and such? Do you have a way to haul it to the the dump or where ever?

If you go with a liner pool you should get a Pool Builder out and see what they have to say. The bottom might be savable so that will help with the cost some.

Kim:kim:

At least it is not a gunite pool you are trying to fix/change........NOW that would be a handful for sure!

I like the idea of fiberglass as that will last quite a bit longer. The hole prep is the most important part of it.

Do you think YOU could remove the old wood and such? Do you have a way to haul it to the the dump or where ever?

If you go with a liner pool you should get a Pool Builder out and see what they have to say. The bottom might be savable so that will help with the cost some.

Kim:kim:

What size pool are we talking about? Could be easier to go back with one just a tad smaller.

The pool is 20x40 so I'd definitely be open to dropping a smaller pool in. My hope was that I would be able to demo myself. I have a few PBs coming out this weekend so I'm hoping they'd be open to letting me handle some of the work to save some money.

There was an interesting development over the last week. The last owner of our house kept the manual and paperwork that came with EVERYTHING. We were doing some spring cleaning and I found the installation manual and receipts for our pool. The walls aren't completely wood, they're cement asbestos with a wood trim around the top that the coping screws into. The material was called Transite. I attached an image of the manual.

I'm thinking I might be in trouble now. This means a specialized asbestos removal company.
Has anybody on here ever heard of this type of pool?

Side note: reading through the paperwork was really interesting. A 20x40 IGP with some upgrades like a heater cost a $4500 in 1975. Unless there is missing paperwork, our liner was last replaced in 1999, so it's definitely time for an upgrade.
20180529_180205.jpg

+1 on encapsulation. Removing the asbestos is going to cause, or at least risk causing, a lot of dust. It is the airborne particles that are the real risk. If you can leave it wear it lays and encapsulate (epoxy paint? spray on foam insulation?) it that would be my preference. Then you can drop in a slightly smaller fiberglass pool. However, the presence of the asbestos would make me not want to do the demo myself. I think you need professional help, but don't just leave it in their hands. You have to understand the remediation plan, and you have to supervise it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.