Black algae - is it safe to swim with?

DanaSC

May 16, 2012
Lexington, SC
I've read the instructions for how to get rid of black algae. I do think we have a small amount. I rubbed pucks on some spots yesterday and noticed today the spots are gone. A couple of questions:

- Is it safe to swim with black algae in the pool, especially if it's a small amount? (a few dots here and there)

- If rubbing the pucks on the spots we can find makes the spots go away, is it safe to assume the black algae problem is gone? I do understand that it's recommended to keep FC in the high normal range for a week following removal, but I want to be sure I understand. It seems black algae is different than your typical "green" algae in that when it is brushed, it doesn't spread out into the water and resettle somewhere else, but I want to be sure I am getting that right.

Thank you!

You can safely swim in your pool if the FC is at or below SLAM level; the pH is in the 7's, and you can see the bottom of the deep end.

I would not say the black algae is gone forever, it more or less controlled. Run your FC at 15-20% of CYA for a while and brush often the area the black algae was in.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.