Not as bad as "they" said

May 14, 2018
League City
Last week I posted about how I would never take a water sample to be tested at Leslie's again. Finally, today, my new TF100 test kit along with the pH meter and an awesome magnetic stirrer arrived. And so I set out to see just what my water looked like.

No surprise, my CYA is truly off. But it appears it's nowhere near as "off" as Leslie's claimed. Last test they did was a week ago today and they claimed it was 180. My test today showed between 90 and 100. It's high...but it's not likely that it fell 80 ppm in one week all while I still had pucks floating in the floaters.

So here's my test results.

FC = 5
pH = 7.8 (via pH meter. via TF100 test in the kit, it was 7.6)
TA = 160
CH = 300
CYA = 100
water temp 86
air temp 85

Because my CYA is what it is, my FC should be higher. It's on it's way up. I'm looking for advice on the TA and pH.

I'm sitting here smiling and kicking myself for letting 10 years with this pool go by before investing in a good water kit. I had a lot of fun doing my tests and my 6 year old twin boys had a lot of fun watching me and asking me questions about "doing science". I inherited pool maintenance from my dad as a child by the time I was 9...so I'm excited they are so interested as well. They love to vacuum and dust and sweep and mop...maybe I can add pool maintenance to that list, too!

You should do an 'extended' CYA test. See step 8 in Pool School - CYA

No real reason to drop your pH until it gets to 8. TA will fall as you drop pH to 7.4 from 8. No immediate action needed.

Be diligent with your chlorine. If you let algae get in a SLAM will need a 50% drain to lower your CYA.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.