Using Drain Plugs to mount temp sensors

jrodp

Jun 15, 2017
Mansfield, TX
I am working on updating my pool automation and want to add some temperature sensors to my setup. My question is, would there be any problem with taking one of the drain plugs and drilling out the center to mount a temperature sensor? I have a Jandy VS FloPro pump that has two drain plugs, one on the suction side under the basket and one on the pressure side. I would likely put it in the suction side so there is no chance to interfere with the impeller on the pressure side. I would prefer to use one of the plugs so as to not have to drill a hole directly into the plumbing. Has anyone else attempted this?

The temperature sensor I have is strapped to the outside of my PVC after the pump. It measures the temperature of the outside of the pipe.

Have you sourced one that installs through the pipe and into the water flow?

Take care.

The temperature sensor I have is strapped to the outside of my PVC after the pump. It measures the temperature of the outside of the pipe.

Take care.

I have not purchased anything yet, but I am planning to get a couple of the waterproof [FONT=&quot]DS18B20 [/FONT]sensors to connect to my raspberry pi that I have setup to control everything. All the mounting I have seen so far involves drilling a hole in the pvc line and inserting into the pipe, I would prefer to not do that.

Take care.

It probably has a hole in the pipe where the sensor goes to the water.

I have thought about using a sensor like this that was designed for monitoring temperature with an RTD or a liquid cooling system for a PC.

XSPC G1/4 Plug with 10k Sensor - Black Chrome by XSPC

This would need a thread adapter to make the fittings match up, but that part is easy.

My concern is pressure ratings. I am very paranoid that my pump generates enough pressure that it might rupture the sensor. The pressure also worries me about drilling a hole in the pipe and sealing the hole. The results could be catastrophic if either experience a blow out.

So, here is a little more detail...I basically followed this instructable, as well as some others on this site, to set up my pool automation using a raspberry pi. Right now I can control the 4 programmed speeds on the pump controller and turn on and off the waterfalls. These are the temp sensors I want to connect to the pi to report water and air temp to my app on my phone. The tip can be inserted into the plumbing, but I too was concerned about the pressure in the system which is one reason I didn't want to drill into the pvc and instead use one of the drain plugs so it can be replaced if I screw something up. I guess worse case, I could try it and if it doesn't work, just put in a new drain plug, I just thought I would check and see if anyone had tried it before I buy all the parts.

I don't think that the drain plug method is going to work.

Pool systems are not and should not be under a lot of pressure. The ones that mount into the pipes are the way to go.

They make sch40 pvc tees that you can add reducers to in order to bring the size down and also covert from slip (glued) to threaded. This would give you the ability to put the sensors anywhere in the system and have a threaded port instead of the saddle style sensors in a drilled hole.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did you handle the system controlling your VSP pump? Did you have to buy an automation panel to allow this? I have a Pentair Intelliflo and would love to do what you have done.

On a side note, with your idea of putting the temp gauge near the pump plumbing and not in the pool. Dont trust the temperature unless the pump is running. The water in teh PVC can fluctuate much more rapidly than the water in the pool.

They make sch40 pvc tees that you can add reducers to in order to bring the size down and also covert from slip (glued) to threaded. This would give you the ability to put the sensors anywhere in the system and have a threaded port instead of the saddle style sensors in a drilled hole.

That is a good idea and after thinking about it, I realized I have a brass garden spigot that is threaded into the line just above the pump for draining. I think I will take that out and add a threaded tee there and put the sensor in that area instead of the drain plug port.

How did you handle the system controlling your VSP pump? Did you have to buy an automation panel to allow this? I have a Pentair Intelliflo and would love to do what you have done.

On a side note, with your idea of putting the temp gauge near the pump plumbing and not in the pool. Dont trust the temperature unless the pump is running. The water in teh PVC can fluctuate much more rapidly than the water in the pool.

I did not buy any automation panels, I have Jandy JEP-R controller that controls the pump, it has 4 inputs for remote control to allow remote activation 4 of the 8 preset speeds. I have relays connected to each of those, the pi activates the relay which activates the remote input of the controller and turns on the pump to the appropriate speed.

I thought about the temp not being accurate if the pump is not running and at this point, I am ok with that, I don't have anything that depends on a 24/7 accurate reading. The pool is too far away to put the sensor directly into it, but that may be a future upgrade.

because I am a nerd when it comes to accuracy, if you were trying to automate any heating, this coudl be an issue. Also, if you were trying to make any accurate data loggin where you plot outside temp and pool temp to see what happens, you would only want to record data after the pump had run for a few minutes. Good luck.

Reviving an old thread-

@jrodp - Did you ever get some form of drain plug temp sensor configured? I was thinking about doing something similar, if possible. I am trying to avoid drilling holes in the plumbing to install the standard 10K sensors that are used in solar installations

Reviving an old thread-

@jrodp - Did you ever get some form of drain plug temp sensor configured? I was thinking about doing something similar, if possible. I am trying to avoid drilling holes in the plumbing to install the standard 10K sensors that are used in solar installations

No. Ultimately I bought a wireless tags

My module hangs off of my ladder with a zip tie, and the sensor drops down into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.