Pool ladder rubbing advice needed

Jan 2, 2016
Milton, Ontario
I recently purchased a house with an in-ground pool. The previous home owner mounted the pool ladder concrete sleeves too close to the edge causing the ladder to stick out .5 feet away from the pool wall. Because of this I installed ladder deck mounting brackets. The ladder sits nicely on the wall now however I notice when people get in/out the ladder legs rub on the wall. This concerns me as I have a vinyl liner and I don't want it to ware away at it due to friction. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this?

One though was to put a few vinyl patches where it's rubbing to mitigate ware of the actual pool liner.

Never mind. I was assuming you meant half an inch.

Can we see a photo of the set up?

If you are down to a small amount of rubbing, the slight bending strategy is probably what I would go with. One other idea, remove the ladder. At the bottom where the rubber bumpers are that protect the liner, they should easily pop out of the ladder. You should be able to find an O-Ring or two that fits around the thinner part of the rubber bumper. After the o-rings are there, reinstall the ladder. This should help force contact between the surface. But I think that the slight bend is your best bet.

I would consider cutting off 3" inches or so to make it easier to get out. Cutting that off will drop the stair depth down to typical height. But I will say that making 2 straight and even cuts on the stainless pipe will be easier said than done.

Now that I look at your pictures a bit more closely, it looks like the left leg (as seen from sitting in the water) is not on the flat wall of the pool, rather it sits on the start of the curve? Is that true? If so, I expect that this might be a huge part of your problem.

Is this is not true, with regards to the bending of the tubing, I will try to explain. The dimension that matters is from the parts that goes down into the mount of the deck, to the vinyl liner wall. I am going to make that number up for right now for the purpose of this discussion, so don't quote me on this next number. But lets assume that dimension should be 12". If you made the dimension 11.9 inches, that means the bumpers wont naturally rest against the wall, rather float about 0.1 inches off of the wall. Once under force when you use the ladder, your body weight will force the bumper onto the wall, thus your seeing movement and rubbing. However, if you would have installed the stairs 12.1 inches away from the wall, then you would have had to stretched the stairs to maek them fit. This slight stretching would cause constant force to be applied to the wall, and this woudl mean that when your body weight got on the stairs, they would not rub. So the idea is if you bend the stairs slightly, you make the gap smaller, adn therefore put the stairs into a constant state of force.

Now with all of this said, side to side movement will happen no matter what. And as I started, I think that your issue might be that the stairs are not on teh true flat wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will check tonight and let you know. If it is not on a true flat wall do you think bending it might still assist with the rubbing?

I didn't want to mount it directly where the previous mounts were as it is right next to the deep end slope and what a slop it is. My worry was if a kid missed their step getting onto the ladder and caught the slope, out to the deep end they would go. I will be getting floating safety rope to assist with this as well.

I would consider cutting off 3" inches or so to make it easier to get out. Cutting that off will drop the stair depth down to typical height. But I will say that making 2 straight and even cuts on the stainless pipe will be easier said than done.

Now that I look at your pictures a bit more closely, it looks like the left leg (as seen from sitting in the water) is not on the flat wall of the pool, rather it sits on the start of the curve? Is that true? If so, I expect that this might be a huge part of your problem.

Is this is not true, with regards to the bending of the tubing, I will try to explain. The dimension that matters is from the parts that goes down into the mount of the deck, to the vinyl liner wall. I am going to make that number up for right now for the purpose of this discussion, so don't quote me on this next number. But lets assume that dimension should be 12". If you made the dimension 11.9 inches, that means the bumpers wont naturally rest against the wall, rather float about 0.1 inches off of the wall. Once under force when you use the ladder, your body weight will force the bumper onto the wall, thus your seeing movement and rubbing. However, if you would have installed the stairs 12.1 inches away from the wall, then you would have had to stretched the stairs to maek them fit. This slight stretching would cause constant force to be applied to the wall, and this woudl mean that when your body weight got on the stairs, they would not rub. So the idea is if you bend the stairs slightly, you make the gap smaller, adn therefore put the stairs into a constant state of force.

Now with all of this said, side to side movement will happen no matter what. And as I started, I think that your issue might be that the stairs are not on teh true flat wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.