1st time SLAM'er trying to take the pool past the finish line

May 19, 2018
weston, FL
Hi All
First off thanks to all the members here for the great information! I have had consistent algae issues with my pool since we moved in 8 months ago. It was endless visits to the pool store where now I realize at times they were giving me wrong info. Looking to try something different I came across this site. Here I discovered about SLAM'ing. I decided that despite having a few things working against me like not having the recommended test kit, non-stop rain in south FL I'd give it a try. It only took three days of following instructions (brush daily, make sure FC was at a high level) to see the results. Now my pool has gone from dark green to hazy blue. I can feel the end in sight. My question is; to get to the finish line is there anything other than POP and keeping the FC at shock level that is needed? While brushing Im seeing dust kick up from the floor so Im paranoid the algae like a bad houseguest might be here to stay.

Keep up the SLAM UNTIL OCLT IS PASSED with three points of criteria. Depending on how good your filtration system is will only tell you how long it takes to clear it.

The chlorine kill the algae and turns it brown or white, once it's dead. It turns the water from green to blue, but your filtration system has to filter it out for water clarity. You are almost home but this is the longest part. You want to run 25% or around 10 or a little higher 10 psi above normal operating clean pressure. What the pressure build up a bit and get dirty this way you filter out the finely suspended stuff.

Try using hair nets over the skimmer basket or skimmer socks, and rinsing them frequently. That should help you absorb some of the gunk floating around in your water that that gives it that hazy blue appearance
Can you post in your signature what type of filtration system you have?

I am not an expert - yet - but I think you need to keep your FC levels high enough to eliminate all contaminates. First thing you also want to do is post your test results. If you do not have test kit you should get one TF100 or Taylor k2006C I assume. Testing is easy and you do not need to go to pool store at all. I did the same thing when I first started, bought bunch of products which did not do much. Stick to Bleach and your water will clear soon.

Just keep an eye on pressure levels on your filter and FC levels of your water.

I am not an expert - yet - but I think you need to keep your FC levels high enough to eliminate all contaminates. First thing you also want to do is post your test results. If you do not have test kit you should get one TF100 or Taylor k2006C I assume. Testing is easy and you do not need to go to pool store at all. I did the same thing when I first started, bought bunch of products which did not do much. Stick to Bleach and your water will clear soon.

Just keep an eye on pressure levels on your filter and FC levels of your water.

Good posting! We need test results to make sure you are on the right track. Your CYA could be through the roof. We don't go off of good, better, best in regards to levels. We work with numbers. Getting a TF100 or it's equivalent will take you over the finish line.

took the 1pm reading and here are the stats. Keep in mind that the testing kit has not arrived. I am using test strips. I know, I know the test kit provides the best results but until it gets here this is all the data I have.
CYA 70
PH 8
The PH level has jumped from 7.2 this morning, should I be worried?

Hello and Welcome to TFP!

You should not be worried... We'll help you get this cleaned up. But we can't advise any information based on the info you provided. We don't know if the pH of 8 is accurate since we know you are keeping FC high (and because we don't trust the test strips).
I would recommend that you just continue to brush and add 1/2 gallon of bleach a day until your test kit arrives.
Read through the SLAM Process procedure and review the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] chart. These are the two main things to learn at this point.

can you add the type of pool wall you have (plaster, vinyl, fiberglass)

hello fellow TFP folks. Finally got around to posting my first test results. So here goes:

FC 6
CC .5
PH 7.9
TA 120
CH 240
CYA 60

Let me know what you guys think. I feel like im in the right zip code just need that last push to get this pool presentable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.