Solar system independent of pool pump, filter, etc

You also are using 3/4 hp worth of money while a vsp is using only what it needs, way less to lift it up

A VS pump is not really optimum for solar heating.

We generally use a VS pump so that we can reduce the speed which equates to reduced cost of course.

With this comes reduced flow but that is not a problem when chlorinating our pools.

However when it comes to heating water, reduced flow reduces the solar system's performance.

Heat transfer is optimum when there is a large delta between the incoming water and the solar collector tubes.

A small temperature rise with a relatively high flow rate is the most efficient way to heat a pool with solar.

If using a VS pump - then the user must take this into account otherwise solar heating performance will be hampered.

So you end up using a VS pump on its higher speeds (when the sun is out) which tends to negate the costs savings somewhat and we are back to square one so to speak.

The panels I see are most efficient at 40 gpm, if your over or under you are wasting watts, vsp is the way to go

Do you have some specs available?

BTW I'm not using panels in my scenario just tubing so in that particular case higher flow rate is probably more important....

I have been involved in thermal transfer Vs flow rate testing for a number of years now - not with pools but with liquid cooled PC's testing various CPU's.

In this case we usually test the reverse ie. we look at how much heat can be transferred to the water wrt flow rate, CPU/GPU block design and heat dissipation of radiators etc. A lot of the theory equally applies to our pool solar systems as well - My current PC has two pumps and 3 radiators....!

Spent many nights testing with thermal probes, manometers and rotameters attached to my PC taking notes and verifying theoretical calcs with practical results....:D

Testing pump flow rates Vs restriction:

QBPSmt.jpg

Pressure testing my current PC with air (testing for leaks):

ODg9hU.jpg

Here it is ready to roll.... PC draws over 850W at full load on CPU and both graphics cards but component temps remain cool & consistent:

gR82OW.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.