Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi all,

Is anyone familiar with how to set up a IntelliChem to dispense by time instead of based on trying to hit a ORP setpoint?

I've had a EasyTouch 8, IntelliChem with a 4-gallon acid tank, and IntelliChlor IC60 for a couple of seasons now. I've never been able to get the ORP to work right, as the ORP value is never consistent with the FC level, despite me being very mindful about proper chemical balance, etc. The only thing I'm not doing is keeping the flow cell out of the sun - I heard that can help things, but all my equipment is outdoors. I've already gone through 3 ORP sensors, so I know the sensors aren't broke. The pH automation is great though. That being said, I'm giving up on the ORP value to control my IntelliChlor's chlorine production. I'd like to try using the IntelliChem's dispense by time option. I'm posting here because I don't know how to set it up correctly. I know that the first step is switching the ORP dosage setting to be by time instead of by setpoint, but what do I do from that point? In other words, I see that there's a dose time I can set (which is defaulting to 11 hours since I keep my system on 11 hours a day), but it that the only option? That I can just tell the system how long to run the IntelliChlor for each day? Does the percent setting via the EasyTouch also relate to this? For example, that's currently set to 50%, so does that mean the IntelliChlor will run for 11 hours a day at 50% if I leave everything that way? If yes, then it isn't working right for me as no matter what the IntelliChlor has all of its sanitizer output lights lit to indicate that it's running at max strength all the time.

May be stating the obvious but have you tried contacting the manufacture? This will serve as a bump to get it in front of my eyes.

I emailed them and posted in their support forum over a week ago and they haven't answered. Guess I'll have to call.

I’m in the design phase and am considering Intellichem for liquid chlorine. Did you get this figured out? It sounds like the sensor isn’t reliable, so I’m trying to determine if you can just control time and flow rates regardless of what the system thinks the chlorine level is.

If it only works with their sensor, I’ll likely head in a different direction.

Thanks

I’m in the design phase and am considering Intellichem for liquid chlorine. Did you get this figured out? It sounds like the sensor isn’t reliable, so I’m trying to determine if you can just control time and flow rates regardless of what the system thinks the chlorine level is.

If it only works with their sensor, I’ll likely head in a different direction.

Thanks

I have figured it out. Turns out that the issue for me was the phosphate level. The TFP method doesn't worry about phosphates, and I understand why, but that's what was causing me issues in trying to manage the chlorine based on the ORP reading. I now believe that the ORP levels were being measured correctly by the IntelliChem, but the issue I was having was because I didn't know that phosphates affect ORP. I wish that Pentair's documentation explained that as it would have saved me a lot of time.

I had been managing metals in the water by using Jack's Magic Purple Stuff, as a sequestering agent. I have to find something else now (anyone have a recommendation?), to avoid the phosphates that get added into the water from the Purple Stuff.

So I now have the IntelliChem effectively managing the chlorine level, as long as I make sure everything is balanced (including minimizing phosphates). I've found that a phosphate level of 100 or lower is fine, but once it creeps up to 250 or higher, the ORP reading gets significantly affected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.