New to pools. Just got tester. Please advise

May 15, 2018
Danville, Il
My readings tonight with the tf100 tester is as follows...
pH 7.2
Fc 32.5......
Cc 1.5
Ch 300
Ta 190
Cya 160

I did add quite a bit of liquid cholrine 3 days ago
Roughly 3 gallons over 2 days. My kids swam today ... Will they die? Please advise on how to get normal levels . Thanks

Your heirs are safe! Since you can safely swim up to shock level for your CYA, they will be fine.

Take ke a look at this chart to see why. Now, we know that your CYA is way too high (I assume you did the dilution test to come up with 160?), so in order to get it down to a level where you can use reasonable amounts of chlorine, you are going to need to do a partial drain.

Why did you add so much bleach? Is your water green?

My readings tonight with the tf100 tester is as follows...
pH 7.2
Fc 32.5......wtff
Cc 1.5
Ch 300
Ta 190
Cya 160

I did add quite a bit of liquid cholrine 3 days ago
Roughly 3 gallons over 2 days. My kids swam today ... Will they die? Please advise on how to get normal levels . Thanks

CYA is wayyyyyy too high. Should be around 50. There is no way to lower CYA other than to remove water and refill. I would start there. Remove at least 2/3rds of water and refill. Then check Chlorine. It should be around 10ppm and will burn off down to normal levels in a couple days.

Wait for other replies. I am new to the game and my advise is based on what I’ve read.

Ohhhh. Well, that’s not great then. The only way to deal with that high chlorine is to wait for the sun to kill it. And actually, your ph probably isn’t correct due to the high chlorine.

So, just wait a few days, testing once a day until your FC drops to normal level. You can use the OTO test (the one with color blocks) for testing chlorine if you want, until your chlorine comes down. Will help you save on the FAS-DPD reagents.

Ohhhh. Well, that’s not great then. The only way to deal with that high chlorine is to wait for the sun to kill it. And actually, your ph probably isn’t correct due to the high chlorine.

So, just wait a few days, testing once a day until your FC drops to normal level. You can use the OTO test (the one with color blocks) for testing chlorine if you want, until your chlorine comes down. Will help you save on the FAS-DPD reagents.

So just do nothing until it drops? What is safe levels. And the cya test is a little subjective to the testers opinion of if the dot is there or not. I keep arguing with myself about if I could see it or not. What does cya do anyways

That chart I posted previously will tell you what your target FC is for your CYA. With a SWG and CYA of 60, your target FC will be 4. But you might want to bump up your CYA to 70 AFTER you are at normal levels and water is good. Needless to say, you aren’t going to need to run your SWG until your FC drops.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry explains what CYA is and why it is important?

Recommend a read through Pool School. You will find it immensely helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

To do the CYA test, if your pool water is cold, let it come to room temp before doing the test. Mix up your sample, then outside, sun behind you, fill the tube to the first line. Glance in quickly. If you see dot, fill to next line, quick glance, and repeat. The first line where you don’t see the dot with a quick glance is your CYA.

Just keep looking at your FC daily and let your chlorine come down some more. Ok to run pump a few hours daily, just don’t turn on SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Youve tested CYA at 50, 60 and 70...call it 60 and move on. It wont change until you add a bunch of water to dilute it or add more stabilizer via pucks.

If you call it 60, you want around 5.0 FC ALWAYS. Do not go below that and you will have a clean, safe and trouble free pool.

your TA is pretty high...once your FC is around 9-5, take your pH and keep it around 7.2 - 7.4 and eventually your TA will come down..keep your FC at 5-7 till your CYA is in the 40-50 range, after you either drain the pool or you get some huge rains...my CYA was around 50 last spring, then we had tons of rain, including H-Harvey's 38" in 2-3 days, then my CYA was 10-20...got a break from adding bleach and used pucks till it was back at in 40-50 range..

good luck, tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.