Driving me Crazy..I'm stumped

rspass

May 8, 2018
Haddonfield,NJ
Having issues with pool for almost 2 years and can't figure it out. 26,000 gallon pool was re plastered 2 years ago with a pebble finish. There were white streaks so pool plasterer suggested and did a no drain acid wash last year. It seemed to work and streaks look much better. But then I was getting white powder on bottom of the pool and thought it was DE.Changed all the grids and went through filter with pool company. But still problem persisted. I then noticed that I was getting white powder dust coming off the walls while I brushed it. It persisted the rest of the year. The Plasterer said its still curing and could be some calcium coming off. I closed the pool and figured it should be fine this year. Well, its still there a year later. The pool plasterer came out and said could be calcium still coming out of the plaster but he seemed stumped. The spa clouds up real bad when I put the pool in spa mode.

The chemicals having been pretty good

Hardness 220
TC 3
FC 3
PH 7.5
TA 90
CYA 45
Salt 3050
I've kept this range for most part of 2 years. The PH would rise but I would add Muriatic acid to bring it down.

I thought maybe De and had pool company check everything Grids/ multipart valve etc.. seemed Ok. I cleaned out filter vacuumed bottom of pool to waste and recharged filter with DE. Nothing coming out . But I Wanted to really rule out DE so I put socks on the returns and at night with lights on saw a white powdery like substance bleeding out every 3 or 4 minutes which looked liked tiny tiny bubbles . I figured that I was getting DE back in pool. So took out grids and washed them down and ran the filter with no DE just to be sure. Well, bubbles and white powdery like cloud re appeared. This made my head hurt . It made no sense since no DE in the filter. After a few hours of research on this site I cam across a thread in 20009 stared by ShelidFX who was having the same issue. Through research and a post by Chem geek it was learned that the foggy haze coming out the returns was from SWG. It's hydrogen bubbles and maybe chlorine gas generated by SWG. So
I shut off my SWG and it stopped. I then put it back on 100% and in came back none stop. This helped me rule out DE. However, I still get a white powder on bottom of the pool floor everyday. Still have powder coming out of walls when I brush still have white objects that float in pool that are illuminated by the lights at night. After recharging the filter I ran it for 2 days and added salt because was getting low. I then opened up the filter without back washing . I see the DE on the grids but there is another substance on top of the De . Its white undissolved grains. ( posting photos) You see it especially on manifold.
Questions: What could this white substance be? Could it be undissolved salt or calcium or something else?
What else cold white powder on bottom of the pool be? Could it be related to the SWG hydrogen bubbles and chlorine gas.?
Any suggestions would help. I've owned a pool for 20 years and nothing has drove me more crazy as this.

IMG_4442.jpgIMG_4444.jpgIMG_4445.jpgIMG_4455.jpg

Yes it bubbles.
I don't put a lot in me my pool. last year I added start up tech after the acid wash as a sequencing agent. I then added SC 1000 made by Orenda as maintenance and pool guy said it will help with the dust and to prevent calcium scale..and I also added salt. This year when I opened I added salt, algicide 60 and 6 bags of shock to get it started because water was too cold for salt cell. The shock did have Calcium hypochlorite as I didn't research all this until after I put it in or I would've just used liquid. But that was about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I don't recall putting any in last year. I flocked it last week with Regal super Floc cause I reluctantly listened to person atpool store and they thought maybe it would help and the white stuff was just dead algae or something... It made no difference.

It is losing calcium for some reason, the plaster should have been long cured to where you are not losing calcium. I'll leave it at that and let the plaster experts chime in.

Having a high quality test kit is a must, check out the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C kits in my signature.

The TF100 is the best kit for the residential pool owner. Get the SpeedStir, makes testing much easier.

Go to TFTestkits.net. Not amazon.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok so I got the TF-100 and have a few questions on how to use it.
Chlorine is at 5
PH is 7.5
Calcium Hardness : I add the 10 drops of R-0010 and then 3 drops of R0011L and solutions turns pinkish red. It says to add R-0012 until the color changes to blue. Question is am I waiting for the whole solution to turn blue or just just part of it. The bottom turns blue while most of the solution stays red but does not turn the whole solution blue ...
total Alkalinity I have same issue. when the solution is green it says add R-0009 until it turns red. while I put drops in the drop turns red but then back to green..I'm sailing solution with each drop. Is this what I'm looking for or the whole 25ml to turn red.. I got up to like 15 drops and it never turned, just briefly when drop goes it.
CYA i understand: keep filling until black dot disappears but this could be pretty subjective. I fill it up until about 50 mark and it stars disappearing. 40 mark its very faint . 30 I could still see it but but so faint its just about gone. How much of the dot am I looking for a disappearance. I know it sounds like i'm splitting hairs but I got this kit for exact numbers to solve my plaster issue so I want to get it right.

You want the entire solution to turn the color you are waiting for. When it starts to “flash” the different color, you are getting close!

- - - Updated - - -

For CYA, fill to first line and glance, not stare. If dot still visible, fill to next line and glance. And so on.

SO I did a complete TF-100 test. Seemed a little intimidating at first but once you see how it works its pretty easy.
I will preface this by saying that the pool stores should be ashamed of themselves. Its like they just pick numbers out of a hat. The inconsistency blows my mind and I'm pretty aggravated. The test steps aren't any better.

I forgot to add.. in the beginning of the year pool store said my Calcium was real low and I ended up adding 30 lbs just to get it over 200 ( so I thought) They also had my TA low at 70 and I added baking soda (about 10 lbs)
I also put in about 8lbs of CYA since beginning of the year through a sock.

All these problems did exist before I added this stuff however.

Here are the #s I came up with. not what i expected

Salt level from cell reads 2900

FC 8.5
CC .5
which would make TC 9
CH 375
TA 140
PH 7.5
CYA 25

I'm still getting powder like substance brushing off walls and small white parcels floating that you can see at night which I think we determined may be calcium.
anyone have any suggestions where I start

First, round your CYA to 30. You want to round up to the next line if it is somewhere in the middle.

- - - Updated - - -

Your numbers aren’t too bad. I don’t know much about CH since I don’t really have to worry about it, so we’ll wait for someone else to chime in.

If you still have some white powder material left, please take a teaspoon of it and put it into a cup of muriatic acid and watch it.
I need to know how long the fizzing lasts, perhaps only about five seconds, or is it 30 seconds, or longer? I also want to know if all of the powder material disappears completely, or if there is a residue left after 30 seconds.
What was the temperature of the day that the pool was plastered?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.