My green monster

rammy

May 16, 2018
Ashland City / TN
Hello all,
New member here, just wanted to create a post about an ill taken care of pool, its my own fault really. Between Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts,traveling for work I have had very little time to manage the care of the pool.I do have a 19-year-old son and a 10-year-old son. The 19-year-old has gasoline and perfume clouding his mind and can’t think of anything else. My 10-year-old can do some things but like his older brother gets easily distracted.
So, to the state of the pool. Due to the motor shorting out last year I lost the pool, took a couple weeks to source the pump, and with my frustration of everything I didn’t even try to recover the pool. Well to say it’s very green is an understatement with lots of pine needles, leaves and about 2 inches of algae carpet (maybe shag) in the bottom. I know that the only way for me to remove the gunk is to use a leaf rake and repeat. I started last night scooping out the smelly, awful ****. It truly smells as if I’m shoveling from the bottom of an old farm pond, (that had pigs in it) oh and the tadpoles are having fun dodging the pole as I drudge it through the bottom of the pool (maybe I should catch them and sale them to local fishermen…. Hmm). Oh but the serenade of the frogs at night (4 is a quartet right? what would you call 30 or 40) it’sa ear ringing event in itself.

Oh well I’m starting to ramble………what was I trying to say………

Will update as I move along…I will upload photos later

Ordered TF-100 about 10 minutes ago…..so glad to have foundthis site.

Rammy

Re: My green monster

Yay! We love to see pictures of swamps, and watch as things improve! You are absolutely right, the more gunk you get out of there, the better your SLAM will go.

Excellent job getting that test kit ordered. And you could always bribe the 19 year old with a pool party after it is cleared up!

Oh but the serenadeof the frogs at night (4 is a quartet right? what would you call 30 or 40) it’sa ear ringing event in itself.

I got a really good laugh from that. Thank you.

Awesome to have you here and as Kellyfair also covered, Congrats on the test kit and yes, we love pool pics...especially Green Swampy ones.. ok ok, I like the green swampy ones. There I admitted it.

See you soon Rammy! Just reach out when you are ready, many many many pool owners are at your disposal for venting, cheering and support.

Picture time!!
76038329-eb00-45d9-9752-1886333667ec_zpspnuhyyph.jpg

pool12_zps19voiv0n.jpg

Didn't get to do anything to it yesterday due to storms in the area. Really didn't want to be holding a 14 aluminum pole in the lighting

I did put 4 gals of 10% in 2 days ago

Brushed

Just got shipping notice for my test kit so when I get it I will start posting readings

Got more cleaning done today. Had both kids out there helping. Had two leaf rakes going at the same time. Got a new pressure gauge on the pump. Brushed again and added 2 gals of 10%. Trying to have patience and waiting on test kit. Will keep plugging along. More raking again tomorrow.

Got more cleaning done today. Had both kids out there helping. Had two leaf rakes going at the same time. Got a new pressure gauge on the pump. Brushed again and added 2 gals of 10%. Trying to have patience and waiting on test kit. Will keep plugging along. More raking again tomorrow.

Fight! Fight! Fight!
Kill. the. Algae. with all your might!

Good job on getting everyone involved, making it fun for the family really helps out. Everyone gets to say they helped turn that pool around!

You've got to get out all the solid debris or else your chlorine is just going to disappear working to break down that. You need your chlorine to work on the water, not the solids if you can remove them.

Keep those kids working! That makes them have skin in the game of keeping the pool up.... a good thing!

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You've got to get out all the solid debris or else your chlorine is just going to disappear working to break down that. You need your chlorine to work on the water, not the solids if you can remove them.
Keep those kids working! That makes them have skin in the game of keeping the pool up.... a good thing!
This will cut down on the time and cost of SLAM Process immensely.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!! Working hard to clean out all the gunk I can.
Test kit came in and got my fist readings

FC. 3
CC 1
TA 110
CYA. 20

Not sure I'm ready for a SLAM. Need to take some more time to make sure I've got as much of the stuff out.

There is a lot that I need to learn yet

Thanks for the words of encouragement!! Working hard to clean out all the gunk I can.
Test kit came in and got my fist readings
FC. 3
CC 1
TA 110
CYA. 20
Not sure I'm ready for a SLAM. Need to take some more time to make sure I've got as much of the stuff out.

There is a lot that I need to learn yet

You've got this!
You can also test your PH, since your FC is under 10 =)

If you can aim for adding (use PoolMath) at least a goal of Chlorine Now/_0_ Goal/_10-15_ while you continue cleaning the solid debris out, before "officially" starting the SLAM Process, it will give you a huge leg up!

readings from last night:

PH 7.2
FC .5
CC 1
TC 1.5
CH 100
TA 70
CYA 20

We have been having pop-up heavy downpours the last couple days, Not been able to do much with the pool. The organic matter in the bottom of the pool and the heavy rains have contributed to the drop in FC, CC, and TA (someone tell me if my thoughts are correct on that)

Ok, well, you're going to need to up that CYA to aprox 30. Just enough to combat sun depletion on the FC. (assuming we *had* sun, lol, these daily storms are a pain!)

And pour some liquid chlorine in there in between rain showers to bring that up.

Your pH is perfect for starting a SLAM.

CH is fine.. not needed in vinyl unless you have a heater, but at that level it won't cause you problems either.

TA is fine.

Go "getchu" some (lots) of walmart 10% (or stronger if you can find a source) and lets get to slammin'! :kim:

readings from last night:

PH 7.2
FC .5
CC 1
TC 1.5
CH 100
TA 70
CYA 20

We have been having pop-up heavy downpours the last couple days, Not been able to do much with the pool. The organic matter in the bottom of the pool and the heavy rains have contributed to the drop in FC, CC, and TA (someone tell me if my thoughts are correct on that)

If you can, even during rain (not lightning) add your daily FC level of liquid chlorine would help immensely, running low FC could allow an algae outbreak. =)

UV (sun) breaks down FC/CC. If the rains have caused enough water overflow, it could definitely lower the TA :)

I'm going to stop and get some stabilizer and more liquid 10%. (the pool math app is the best)

my process to start SLAMing

1: get CYA to 30
2: rake and brush pool while waiting to test CYA levels after I've added it
3: rake and brush again
4: with a CYA of 30, I will need a SLAM level of 12 (Shock FC)
5: Continue raking and brushing once a day after SLAM is started

According to what I've read: Test levels at least 2 times a day and as much as once an hour.

Pump pressure is running around 21 PSI right now. When I backwash, it goes down to 12 or 15, should I backwash before I start the SLAM process

Yes, it looks like that filter needs a backwash.

And when you get that CYA in there, go ahead and start the SLAM. You don't want to delay that waiting for the CYA to dissolve entirely. That is just booking rooms for the algae to reproduce in. Get at it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.