My green monster

Re: My green monster

If possible, when you start the SLAM, test the FC at least once an hour. After a few tests, you'll get a feel for how much FC the pool is eating (should that be drinking? :) ). The longer the shock FC level is maintained, the quicker the SLAM process goes.

Hello all,
New member here, just wanted to create a post about an ill taken care of pool, its my own fault really. Between Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts,traveling for work I have had very little time to manage the care of the pool.I do have a 19-year-old son and a 10-year-old son. The 19-year-old has gasoline and perfume clouding his mind and can’t think of anything else. My 10-year-old can do some things but like his older brother gets easily distracted.
So, to the state of the pool. Due to the motor shorting out last year I lost the pool, took a couple weeks to source the pump, and with my frustration of everything I didn’t even try to recover the pool. Well to say it’s very green is an understatement with lots of pine needles, leaves and about 2 inches of algae carpet (maybe shag) in the bottom. I know that the only way for me to remove the gunk is to use a leaf rake and repeat. I started last night scooping out the smelly, awful ****. It truly smells as if I’m shoveling from the bottom of an old farm pond, (that had pigs in it) oh and the tadpoles are having fun dodging the pole as I drudge it through the bottom of the pool (maybe I should catch them and sale them to local fishermen…. Hmm). Oh but the serenade of the frogs at night (4 is a quartet right? what would you call 30 or 40) it’sa ear ringing event in itself.

Oh well I’m starting to ramble………what was I trying to say………

Will update as I move along…I will upload photos later

Ordered TF-100 about 10 minutes ago…..so glad to have foundthis site.

Rammy

You'll have a lot of work ahead of you but it is oh so rewarding once you get towards the end and can actually see the bottom of your pool again...

I had a pump motor issue after Hurricane Harvey last August and decided not to fix it right away - Finally fixed it 2 weeks ago and am nearing the end of my pool recovery after a lot of hard work. Probably could have gotten it done quicker if it weren't for work M - F...

May take a while to see real progress but just keep with it and you'll knock it out before you know it!

Just out of curiosity, the SLAM video says to bring your pH to 7.5-7.8 for SLAM. What's the actual range to bring your pH level to. In other words, what's the accurate range for pH. I took some notes while watching the video when I first started using TFP, and I'm just wondering if a lower pH is recommended for vinyl pools. I think I read in the Recommended Chemical Level (in my signature) that the pH can be 7.2 for vinyl. So with that said, the pH can be from 7.2-7.8 and not necessary from 7.5-7.8 (to SLAM)

Ok, well, you're going to need to up that CYA to aprox 30. Just enough to combat sun depletion on the FC. (assuming we *had* sun, lol, these daily storms are a pain!)

And pour some liquid chlorine in there in between rain showers to bring that up.

Your pH is perfect for starting a SLAM.

CH is fine.. not needed in vinyl unless you have a heater, but at that level it won't cause you problems either.

TA is fine.

Go "getchu" some (lots) of walmart 10% (or stronger if you can find a source) and lets get to slammin'! :kim:

Maddie :flower:

The thing about the pH and a SLAM is that during a SLAM you'll be keeping your FC up high. And the pH test isn't accurate when your FC is >10, so starting your SLAM on the low side allows you to be sure you're not going too high on pH since you won't test that again until after the SLAM.

Does that make sense?

Addendum: video? which video?

Oh! this clip about SLAM below. It states a pH between 7.5-7.8 in the actual video..not the literature...just the clip. It doesn't matter though...the literature shows 7.2 as within range so I'll go with that. :)

SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain

The thing about the pH and a SLAM is that during a SLAM you'll be keeping your FC up high. And the pH test isn't accurate when your FC is >10, so starting your SLAM on the low side allows you to be sure you're not going too high on pH since you won't test that again until after the SLAM.

Does that make sense?

Addendum: video? which video?

Started SLAM at 7:30 tonight. Added stabilizer; raked pool for 30 minutes then brushed the pool for 30 mins. Ran test

FC 8
CYA 40

Must have been to liberal when adding the stabilizer. Adjusted SLAM with pool tool added the recommended shock and going to test again in about 10 to 15 min

Get that number up to 16, maybe a point or two higher if you are getting ready to call it a night!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I was going to ask about that kellyfair, thanks. While I'm waiting to test again I've been walking around the pool telling the frogs to go somewhere else to scream all night, cause your party will be over at this watering hole!

if I'm reading things correctly here with the increase if the CC numbers; it means that the battle is well underway and the FC is fighting the good fight.

Yes it is! Trying to add liquid chlorine as often as you reasonably can will keep your process moving along!

Day 2 :

readings as of 6:10 am

FC 11.5

Added the required amount of chlorine from pool math to get FC to 16

There is just the very slight change in color. The biggest change is in the smell. I also noticed the water didn't look as green in the bottle I use to collect water samples with.

Didn't have a lot of time to work on the pool last night. Had to get a water line to our new refrigerator last night that took way more time then I thought it would. I went down in the dark and checked chemicals and brushed.

Day 2 :
readings as of 6:10 am
FC 11.5
Added the required amount of chlorine from pool math to get FC to 16
There is just the very slight change in color. The biggest change is in the smell. I also noticed the water didn't look as green in the bottle I use to collect water samples with.
Didn't have a lot of time to work on the pool last night. Had to get a water line to our new refrigerator last night that took way more time then I thought it would. I went down in the dark and checked chemicals and brushed.

Less smell, or different smell?

Hang in there! And your pump is running 24/7 if possible? (just to check)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.