Stubborn Algae problem/Conversion has Begun

Re: Stubborn Algae problem

Okay, I will try and post on this thread from now on.
In order to convert my pool to the BBB method I currently have:

44 of the large (182 oz.) bottles of 6% bleach. They are larger than a gallon so the total is 62 1/2 gallons.
200 lbs of new swimming pool sand
4 lbs of CYA (100%)
$90.00 credit at the pool store for part of my unused baquacrap that they took back (wooo hoooo, I feel lucky)

Baquacil readings today were:

shock - 61
sanitizer - 36
Borate - 54 - will I lose this during the conversion? Will I have to add 20 Mule team when done?
TA - 123
CH - 81
PH - 7.7
I added one gallon of MA to bring PH down. Pool Store said that should bring it down to 7.2. If Ph drops below 7.2 then is that bad?

I think that all I lack is my test kit which is ordered. Wanted to start conversion tomorrow night or Tuesday since I have the time, I may get a cheap kit in the mean time.

well I was afraid to drain too much.I did it a couple times down to about 6 inches below the skimmer. I guess it depends on how much water cost in your area as to whether it would be worth it.

I just finished my conversion a little more than a week ago, I'm not going to suggest that you drain your water there are other experts here that have more experience than me but my numbers:

Baqua Sanitizer – 18
Alkalinity – 70
PH Level – 7.6
Calcium – 190
Baqua Oxidizer - 102

were about the same as yours, and I didn't drain any of my water and my oxidizer was above 100, my conversion from Baqua to Chlorine took about 3.5 days then it took a couple more days for 7 total to get rid of whatever was in my pool causing my chlorine level to keep dropping a few notches each night, i think it was some hidden water mold that I finally cleaned up.

The down side of this was it took 7 days, the up side was because I hit it hard that when my level didn't drop more than 1 in the evening, my CC was already at .5, so I just added the stabilizer and I was ready to go, I didn't have to get it back up to 15ppm for any period of time, which was great. So my total time was probably on par with everyone else.

I think in the total of 7 days I went through about 60 - 65 182 oz bottles, thank goodness for SAMs club.

It is time to begin conversion!!!! I drained some water and refilled. Baqua readings as of early this morning are:

Sanitizer 33.4
Oxidizer (shock) 34
TA 86
PH 7.3
CH 56
BORATE about 55

I bought a cheap Leslies DPD test kit for FC / BR / pH to suffice till my TF100 gets here (should get here tomorrow). At 6:00 PM (now) I will add 2.5 jugs (454 oz) of bleach to the pool. here is pre conversion pics. Although you can not see them very well, there are patchy green spots growing on the bottom. Any last words of advice?

1-suppliesatready.jpg

2-preconversion.jpg

Once you start, hit'er hard and keep you pics coming!! :cool:

Congrats on making a smart decision, Amoses! We used Baquacil for 6 years, the last 2 of those years were nothing but algae and clarity problems. The algae always came back and we spent a fortune on chemicals. Every time we would use our automatic cleaner, the bag would be full of green algae. This year we decided to convert and we have never been so happy with our pool. It has been crystal clear all summer long and has been such a pleasure.

Hang in there, you have a nice clear pool to look forward to without all the Baquacil headaches and expense.

7:35 PM 8/24

FC 0

added another 2.5 jugs (454 oz)
first pic is after the first dose and just before second dose, It still looks good like the bleach did nothing.
the second pic is right after the second dose - pool now has a greenish tint to it.

how should my return eye be pointed? right now it is pointed 45 degrees to the right and angled down toward the bottom as my pool store guy said it should be. is that right?

Right after my second dose I checked FC for heck of it and it was only about 1.0. is that normal

3-after1stdosebefore2nddose.jpg

4-rightafter2nddose.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

duraleigh said:
Are you using 6% bleach that is reasonably fresh?

yes, 6% written on the label bought at Wal-mart - so I assume it is fresh.

8:30 PM

FC 0.5 (maybe) - added 415 oz (2.3 jugs)

To dark to take pics now, but it looks like pool is starting to get some white scummy film type stuff floating around on top of it. I will keep going for several hours tonight.

Right after my second dose I checked FC for heck of it and it was only about 1.0. is that normal
I don't think so. How long after the dosage did you test?

I am concerned about your very low FC. Check about 15 minutes after you add and post that. It appears to me your bleach might be very old.

Its 9:05 - I finished pouring in the last dose at about 8:45. FC looks about .5 right now. the kit I am using is a Leslie kit and it has taylor reagents in it. I am using this until the TF100 gets here tomorrow. I can't tell how to read the date on this bleach. I bought 30 at one Wal-Mart and 14 at another Wal-Mart. the stamping say's 09 225 13:55 B/02

What should I do?

If I let the water set with the drops in it it gets darker. are you supposed to wait? The instructions did not indicate to wait.

If you want to know right now, go to a 24 hour store like Walmart or K-mart and purchase 2-3 large jugs of Clorox brand. Put it in the pool and test 15 minutes later.

If the Clorox registers the same, you have a bad kit or theire is a testing error. If the test returns about 5+ppm (I think it obnly goes to 5ppm, right?), you bleach is apparently very, very old.

EDIT: I do not think the chlorine can be consumed that quickly. Perhaps, but I don't think so.

That's a good idea, see if you can find some Clorox brand and see what you get...(Dave's a smart one! :goodjob: )

The test solution turns pink after sitting? Maybe that's the DPD bleaching out? (I've not used the DPD test).

Can you try a dilution method? Take 2 parts distilled water to 1 part pool water, multiply the result by 3. That should allow you to test the FC up to 15 (losing some accuracy).

9:30 PM

FC .5

Added 415 oz (2.3 Jugs)

I will test in 15 min, if it has not come up then I am headed for Wal-Mart to get Clorox and see if that makes a difference

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.