Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safety device to prevent pool from draining accidently

1. Back To Top    #1

Safety device to prevent pool from draining accidently

I'm adding solar panels on the roof but am really worried about a major leak one day down the road causing the pool to drain. With our high water tables, I'm sure the pool would pop out of the ground. It happened to some people we knew many years ago when a pipe burst on their filter.

Are there any safety devices to turn off the pump using a pressure switch, float valve or flow meter? I was thinking a simple pressure switch in the return line right before it goes under the deck.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safety device to prevent pool from draining accidently

I'm not sure that is really necessary. Any leak that does develop would likely be very small and take an extreamly long time to empty the pool. Even if I redirect all of the water into the drain, it still takes 4-5 hours to fully drain my pool (i.e. turnover rate). I don't know the size of your pool but I suspect you would have at least several days, if not weeks, to address the issue before it fully drains the pool. Also, if the panels were to leak, you would know or at least a neighbor would know right away. It is pretty obvious.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Safety device to prevent pool from draining accidently

Your pump will likely lose prime when the water drops below the skimmer and quit pumping. You might have to replace the pump, but that wouldn't be the crisis that a popped pool would be.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat