Pool light junction box help

Mar 15, 2016
Easley, SC
I installed a new junction box for my pool light last year as the previous owner had installed a non code compliant outdoor switch instead. I have been researching and think I may be lacking a final connection. The light niche is connected to the bonding grid per the lug on the outside of the niche. The pool light has hot/ground/neutral that runs up the PVC conduit from the niche to the junction box. Inside the junction box I have connected the light wires to the wiring that runs back to my automation panel. Here is my question....

1. Do I need to connect a #8 wire to the inside lug on the light niche and run it to the bar provided inside the junction box?
2. Does this bar need to be connected to the ground coming from the automation panel?
3. Does this bar need to be connected to the bonding grid?
4. Does the #8 insulated wire from inside lug to J-box need to be solid or can it be stranded?

I am sure I need the #8 wire, just not positive it needs to be connected to anything else?

I installed a new junction box for my pool light last year as the previous owner had installed a non code compliant outdoor switch instead. I have been researching and think I may be lacking a final connection. The light niche is connected to the bonding grid per the lug on the outside of the niche. The pool light has hot/ground/neutral that runs up the PVC conduit from the niche to the junction box. Inside the junction box I have connected the light wires to the wiring that runs back to my automation panel. Here is my question....

1. Do I need to connect a #8 wire to the inside lug on the light niche and run it to the bar provided inside the junction box? Yes, that's exactly how mine in the below pic is wired.
2. Does this bar need to be connected to the ground coming from the automation panel? I don't have automation and no desire for one in this life. But yes, all electrical ground wires must be tied together.
3. Does this bar need to be connected to the bonding grid? Not necessarily, but once you've completed the electrical wiring, you'll noticed that the ground and bonding wires are tied together in some way.
Typically, the ground wire is connected to the ground bar inside the enclosures while the solid bonding wire is connected to the bonding lug outside the metal enclosure.

4. Does the #8 insulated wire from inside lug to J-box need to be solid or can it be stranded? Stranded if run inside the conduit and bare solid copper for external bonding.

I am sure I need the #8 wire, just not positive it needs to be connected to anything else?

I am not an expert but just thought I'd share what I picked from others in this forum. Let's hope for others to jump in.

As for the bonding lug in the niche. Yes, there should be a bond wire ran from the niche lug to the bonding lug in the junction box, and then a bond wire should be ran from there to the bonding grid. You don't purposefully connect the bond and ground wires together.

Thanks for the help guys. I currently do not have anything connected to the bar inside the J-box. The outside of the niche is bonded to the pool bonding grid. I discovered that the #8 insulated wire inside the niche is not intended to be used as a bond wire, although it is connected to the niche that is connected to the bonding. It is actually a back up for the light ground to keep the light, niche and J-box on the same "current". The J-box does not need to be connected to the bonding grid unless it is within 5 feet of the waters edge. So here is my plan.

1. Do I need to connect a #8 wire to the inside lug on the light niche and run it to the bar provided inside the junction box? Yes, #8 insulated with potting compound on lug inside niche.
2. Does this bar need to be connected to the ground coming from the automation panel? Yes, the ground wire coming from the power source (automation panel in my case) will connect to the bar inside the J-box. Then the ground wire for the light will be connected to the bar in the J-box. Hot and neutral wires from light and power source will be connected inside J-box using screw caps.
3. Does this bar need to be connected to the bonding grid?Yes if the J-box is within 5 feet of the water edge. The bonding wire will be connected to the lug on the outside of the J-box and that lug is connected to the bar inside (based on how my J-box is designed).
4. Does the #8 insulated wire from inside lug to J-box need to be solid or can it be stranded? ​I could not find a definite answer on this but I see no reason it cannot be stranded. I agree with Meadow that the bonding wire has to be solid and the #8 wire inside the niche to J-box has to be insulated.

Thanks for the help guys. I currently do not have anything connected to the bar inside the J-box. The outside of the niche is bonded to the pool bonding grid. I discovered that the #8 insulated wire inside the niche is not intended to be used as a bond wire, although it is connected to the niche that is connected to the bonding. It is actually a back up for the light ground to keep the light, niche and J-box on the same "current". The J-box does not need to be connected to the bonding grid unless it is within 5 feet of the waters edge. So here is my plan.

1. Do I need to connect a #8 wire to the inside lug on the light niche and run it to the bar provided inside the junction box? Yes, #8 insulated with potting compound on lug inside niche.
2. Does this bar need to be connected to the ground coming from the automation panel? Yes, the ground wire coming from the power source (automation panel in my case) will connect to the bar inside the J-box. Then the ground wire for the light will be connected to the bar in the J-box. Hot and neutral wires from light and power source will be connected inside J-box using screw caps.
3. Does this bar need to be connected to the bonding grid?Yes if the J-box is within 5 feet of the water edge. The bonding wire will be connected to the lug on the outside of the J-box and that lug is connected to the bar inside (based on how my J-box is designed).
4. Does the #8 insulated wire from inside lug to J-box need to be solid or can it be stranded? ​I could not find a definite answer on this but I see no reason it cannot be stranded. I agree with Meadow that the bonding wire has to be solid and the #8 wire inside the niche to J-box has to be insulated.
Question #4 you can not run uninsulated ground wire in any conduit with other conductors. #8 awg wire insulated only comes in stranded and needs to be connected to the ground in the j-box not the bonding.

Thanks for the info. I purchased the #8 green insulated stranded wire and ran it from the light niche to the junction box. I understand and agree that you do not purposely attach the bonding to the ground even though the grounding bar inside the J-box it connected to the bonding lug on the exterior, by design of the manufacturer. This appears to be a common occurrence with most items that require bonding and grounding.

Thanks for the info. I purchased the #8 green insulated stranded wire and ran it from the light niche to the junction box. I understand and agree that you do not purposely attach the bonding to the ground even though the grounding bar inside the J-box it connected to the bonding lug on the exterior, by design of the manufacturer. This appears to be a common occurrence with most items that require bonding and grounding.
You got this! Hence, my prompt response to your question #3 above.

Everything is finally bonded but that one insulated wire was the worst! I had to dig out putty inside the light niche where the conduit connects. For some reason someone thought it would be a good idea to try and seal that off. It was very obvious once I poked thru as nasty water start entering in the niche. Now I have to get some potting compound to cover the wire connection and I should be all set! Now to install the heat pump and the pool slide. The list never seems to get shorter.. haha...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.