Still Learning

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes the test kit was badly needed, I am glad I got one.

DD, I'm glad to hear you were happy with your decision to get a good test kit. I know there was a bit of hesitancy upfront about the need and the high cost. Looking back, it usually ends up this way that members such as yourself never regret the purchase. That kit will probably save you $$$$ that would otherwise have been wasted at the pool store on unneeded chemicals.

Once your FC gets to maintenance levels, run a full set of tests. I'm pretty sure you did a lot of backwashing with water replacement. Post the results up here if you want and we can address any other concerns you may have.

Wow, I wish I had that problem. The highest my water ever seems to reach is about 78. I even went ahead and ordered a solar cover just yesterday in hopes that it will bump up the heat a little more. I'd be happy with 5 to 10 degrees.

It’s good to see you’re understanding the chemical side of your pool.
You can wait until tomorrow to make any adjustments. By then your FC should drop below 10 and you can get an accurate pH reading. If the pH is still 7.8 then you can leave it alone if you want. When it gets to 8+, then use the muriatic acid to drop it down to 7.4-7.6. Yes that will drop your TA by a little bit, but that is OK.
For now there is nothing to do, except enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Monitor your pH for a couple of weeks. If you feel that you are having to add muriatic acid quite regularly, you could lower your TA. You generally add enough MA to drop pH to 7.0, which also drops TA some. Then you aerate your pool to only raise pH up back to 7.4 - 7.6. Rinse and repeat until your TA comes down to where you want it. I generally run my TA around 60-80. It seems to climb a little over time. My pH is much more stable than when I was up near 120-130.

Today's number

FC 5
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 130
CH 140
CYA 40

My CYA range is 5 - 7 I could add 7 oz chlorine to get the FC to 6 or just leave it alone until tomorrow.
Looks like my TA is going to hang at 130, which is fine as long as it does not go up anymore.
From now on I will test FC, CC, and PH daily and the others weekly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.