Replacement Pump wiring? 230 vs 115?

Hey ya'll! It has been forever since I was here, which is a great indicator of how well ya'll taught me. But.... my impeller recently broke. I replaced the impeller and the ceramic seals (and I was feeling pretty proud!) but when it all went back together it was obvious that I had burned up my at least 8 year old century motor. I pulled it off and my pool store had the same 1.5 hp motor in stock. Yesterday I put the whole thing back together and developed some major doubts.

I readily admit that I do not understand electricity and this is probably all fine and I am just ignorant. The old pump was a 230 volt 10.5 amp pump. The new pump, with a little change to the wiring, can run as 230 or 115 volt. I left it at 230, hooked up the 2 red live wires and the green ground wire - easy peasy. Went in the garage to flip the breaker back on and went into vapor lock. It is a single pole breaker, not the big double one (like for hot water heater or AC).

So, the wiring is heavy duty 230 wiring with 2 live wires but the breaker is the dinky single slot 115 size breaker. I thought to run it at 230 I would need a double breaker? No? I haven't done anything to the pool equipment since I bought the house and I had a house and a seperate pool inspection so I am guessing this is ok? I turned it on and the thing is running just fine, so I am pretty proud of myself, but I don't want to burn out the motor or set my house on fire. Does the breaker size not matter?

Thanks for your help!

For it to be a 230V setup, the breaker must be double pole.

This might be pretty difficult to figure out over the internet, but sounds like there are some MAJOR questions about how things are wired.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.