New & Need HELP!!! Pump down, green water

Just when I thought I was on the right track....lol.
Pool-Mom said:
If your pool is 13,500 gals, 48 oz. of stabilizer will raise you 27ppm

126 oz will put you around 70 ppm which is where you want to be with a swg

Maybe that 10 was a typo?????
If I am following the instructions correctly on the CYA test, which I think I am, then the CYA is in fact 10. I have not added any kind of stabilzer all summer (until yesterday) :oops: . So I was not suprised to see such a low number. So I got 96oz of stabilizer, but have only added 48oz. thus far. I am going to get more later...depending on future CYA test results of course.

Ohm_Boy said:
Place it in a sock, and hang it in front of a return, and the rapid water movement helps dissolve it, it stays off the bottom, and won't get flushed out of the pool. Plus, you can monitor it to see when it's all gone. Soon after that, you should see the levels come up.

But don't put all of the calculated amount in at once. Put in half, let it fully dissolve, and check the levels again.
ok, so I added 48oz directly to the skimmer. Should I wait 3-4 days, test CYA, and then add more stabilizer using a sock in front of the return? or should I add the sock now? being that 48oz is less then half of the recommended 126oz?

snewo said:
I may be missing something, but I didn't see a successful FC overnight test.
No, you didn't miss anything. I didn't do one :oops: . I remember seeing the link to that info in Pool School, but never read up on it. This is all so new to me. So I will do one tonight, and go from there on the FC levels. I am going to just go ahead and assume that its going to drop more then 1ppm (just b/c thats my luck). Would it be ok to add bleach while the Stabilizer is running through the filter for the next 3-4 days?

And I am assuming I should also wait to vaccuum? or swim? correct? (my oldest and her friends are buggin' me to death about going swimming!)

Thank you, Thank you everyone!

Pool-Mom :)

If these numbers are still accurate you need to bring your pH down.

Latest Test results:
FC: 3
CC: .5
TC: 3.5
ph: 7.9-8.0
T/A: 170
CH: 270
CYA: 10

Should I wait 3-4 days, test CYA, and then add more stabilizer using a sock in front of the return? or should I add the sock now? being that 48oz is less then half of the recommended 126oz?
I'd wait the 3 or 4 days and test again. It's a lot easier to add it than to remove it. :)

Would it be ok to add bleach while the Stabilizer is running through the filter for the next 3-4 days?
Absolutely! You're pouring the bleach in front of a return, right? No problem in that what-so-ever.

And I am assuming I should also wait to vaccuum? or swim? correct? (my oldest and her friends are buggin' me to death about going swimming!)
You can vacuum just don't backwash for about a week. Once you get your pH down I see no reason you can't swim.

What did your overnite drop test reveal?

Well, I just retested my pH and it is down a little to 7.7. Thats about corrtect, right? Water Balance for SWG says 7.5-7.8. Should I get it down more though? if so, to what?

And I just rechecked my FC. Its at 5. The only thing is I didn't check it last night. Soo, I don't know if it lost anything overnight. I will do the whole test correctly tonight and tomorrow morning. But I believe 5 is within range for a SWG. I have had my SWG running 11hrs from 8p-7a, and have not added any bleach in 2 full days.

So, I am going to try to vaccuum today. And FC test tonight and in morning and go from there. And if 7.7pH is ok, let the kids swim after school??

Pool-Mom :-D

7.7 is okay to let them swim.

Because you have high TA, you should see the PH drift up fairly rapidly, especially when the SWG is running. So each time the PH hits 7.8, add enough acid to lower it to 7.2. The acid additions will also slowly lower the TA, and eventually both will be in range and the PH should stabilize. :wink:

FC last night: 3
FC this morning: 3
:party:
Other Test Results:
CC: .5
TC: 3.5
pH: 7.7
T/A: 160
CH: 250
CYA: 40

I just went ahead and tested everything again. I know its really a little too early to have tested the CYA, but I just wanted to see the stabilizer was doing anything at all....and it is!! :goodjob:

Do I need to do anything today as far as FC?because the SWG was off all night? I mean its within range, just want to make sure there isn't something I would need to do to make sure it dosen't drop anymore through out the day. Or just worry about it this evening? I just don't want it to get all out of wack again!

And i tested the CH in my TAP WATER....it is 240. We have horrible water here in this part of E.Tennessee. Lime scale forms soooo quickly and ruins dishwashers, water heaters,etc really easily. Unless you have a water softner, which I really want! I know that TFP says 200-400 is ok, but I just want to make sure I shouldn't bring it down closer to the 200? I have had to take off the Cell on the SWG twice already in the last 2.5 months and soke it in Vinegar to clean off the scale build up. Or is it normal to have to clean the Cell that much anyways?

Thanks again!!!

If the SWG is running now, your FC will be fine. If not, get some bleach in there. (about 2-3ppm) Remember, chlorine is a consumable and will be constantly depleted in your pool 24/7......especially in the daytime.

NEW PROBLEM...HELP!!!!
The brand new, just hooked it up last monday, Filter/Pump is starting with the very little to no flow again!! Soo...now I am guessing it is "operator error" instead of an equipment issue. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

This is what I have done in the last 6 days (reguarding the pump):
*I hooked it up and plugged it in monday (8-17).

*Tended to the water from mon to thurs evening....all the while, the filter/pump is running continuously. Thurs evening is when I added the Stabilizer directly to the skimmer. Then advised to leave the filter/pump running for 3-4 days (to allow stabilizer to disolve).

*Friday, I just monitored the water chemistry.

*Yesterday (sat), I vaccuumed the pool. Which requires me to turn off the filter/pump for a breif time in order to hook up hose to the skimmer. I made sure there was no air, by loosening the air release valves a little until water flowed out of them, and then tightened them back, turned on pump, and vaccuumed half the pool. I then turned off the filter/pump to clean off the little mesh debris catcher that fits into the part that connects the hose to the skimmer. Rehooked hose to skimmer, let out any air, started pump, vaccuumed the rest of the pool. Then disconnected hose from skimmer, replaced skimmer basket. Turned pump back on.
I then allowed my daughter and her friend swim for a couple of hours....even while the filter/pump was running (which the manual says not to do, but I didn't want the stabilizer to not continue dissolving).

*Later last night, about 8:30pm I went down to turn the SWG back on to run its overnight course. It was at that point I thought the filter/pump sounded a little different. But figured I was just imagining things....since it is BRAND NEW!

*This morning I look out the window and see on the SWG, the "LOW-FLOW" light on!! :cry: WHAT?!?!
I went down to the pool and sure enough, there is hardly any water coming out of the return. So, I shut off the filter/pump...and here I am.

WHAT HAVE I DONE?? AND WHAT DO I DO TO FIX THIS....AGAIN??? :?:
I am having 3 different family members visiting this week, and was hoping to entertain in the pool!!

Thanks,
Pool-Mom :(

P.S. Do I need to switch thread topics??

I think you need to take a chance on having to add more CYA, and take out the filter and clean it. Reassemble everything and see if that's the problem.

(The no swimming with pump on is an electrical safety issue, since your pool is not grounded like a permanent install would be.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the filter in there now has only been in a week, you can try just hosing it off and putting it back in for another week. If it's really gross and nasty toss it.

The filters are only meant for 1-2 weeks under "normal" use anyway.

Stock up. :wink: :mrgreen:

I hope that's the solution to the current problem. :)

Change the filter....Simple...yet EFFECTIVE!! :mrgreen: Thank God!!

I had just hosed filter off on wed, and it didn't look all that bad at that point, so that's why I didn't think it would be the filter already. But, it was pretty nasty.

I check my FC also, down to a 1.5. :x
And pH is up a bit to 7.8

I am assuming the SWG didn't stay on for very long last night and thats why the FC is down. So I went ahead and turned it on just now.

Would it be ok to put the stabilizer in the sock now? I will check it again to see exactly how much to put in though.

Thanks for saving me again!

I wouldn't add more CYA yet. Wait another day or two. Don't bother retesting it today, you're just going to waste reagent. Just give it some time. :wink: If you added it Thursday, I would test again on Tuesday, and then add more if you need to then. It's always easier to add some then to remove it, which means partial drain/refill, and then you have to rebalance your other chem levels.

I would lower your PH down to 7.2 with acid, and then add some liquid chlorine to raise the FC up to the recommended level, then see if the SWG can keep up at that point.

Tonight, do an overnight loss test, with the SWG off. Just to rule out anything organic happening. :wink:

I have done another over night loss test ( 3 nights ago), and FC levels stayed the same :)

The night before last I had the SWG on for 5hrs during the night and FC levels were 5 and have stayed at 5. I didn't even have the SWG on last night (forgot to go back and reset after my son turned it off) and FC is still 5 today. Thats good right?

I also waited to retest the CYA until yesterday (tues), and it was at 30. So I put about 30oz of stabilizer in a sock (pool calculator figured a need of 78oz, but sock couldn't hold much more then 30oz)....and tied it to hang in front of the return (Did that yesterday afternoon).
I will check CYA levels in 4-5 days and see where I am.

A few questions: Do I need to leave filter/pump running constantly while sock with stabilizer is in? And is it ok to swim with the stabilizer in? AND...is the FC holding b/c of the stabilizer I put in before and what I have added? FC of 5 is in range for an SWG, but its on the high end....is it ok for it to stay there?

Thanks!!

Pool-Mom said:
A few questions: Do I need to leave filter/pump running constantly while sock with stabilizer is in? And is it ok to swim with the stabilizer in? AND...is the FC holding b/c of the stabilizer I put in before and what I have added? FC of 5 is in range for an SWG, but its on the high end....is it ok for it to stay there?

Thanks!!

Yes, leave pump running until CYA is dissolved. Yes, okay to swim. Yes, FC is holding because of stabilizer and there isn't anything consuming it. Sure, You can decrease the setting/run time a bit if you like, it won't hurt anything to run the FC higher, maybe just uses more of the SWG useful life than necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.