Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ground prep before new liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

ground prep before new liner?

Ok, sorry for all the newbie questions..but I just want to be sure I am doing this right the first time.

Anyway, I had my pool area excavated professionally.....they actually dug the high end of our yard out to match the low end, and then took it down another 3 inches below level. Then the brought in enough "screenings" (gravel dust type stuff) to raise the bed up 2-3 inches...then they compacted it down...It's a very nice, hard surface now..and they laser leveled it all the way around and it was all within 1/4"..pretty acceptable for a 34ft circle I think.

Anyway...I got my bottom rails put together now and have the wall installed in the pool...next is the liner. I am ordering a new one, so it'll be a few days before I can get to it. Should I have any issues with my wall sitting with no liner or water in if we get any thunderstorms or anything? I have braced the wall internally with 2x4's right now.

Anyway...before I put the liner down I'll install my foam cove, but do I need anything else down on the screenings, or can I lay my liner down right on that? I was thinking of maybe getting some carpet padding from home depot and laying it down, but I don't think it's necessary.

What are your guys' thoughts????

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ground prep before new liner?

We also are going to put a new liner in at the end of this season, I personally would recommend a Rhino or Elephant pad underneath the liner just to keep any possible sharp edges or crease from developing under the bottom. Thats just my personal opinion.
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I would get something that is meant for use on pools - I don't think carpet padding would be a good idea. You will still get moisture from the ground under the pool - carpet padding would absorb it and likely rot.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

If you're going to spend the money for carpet padding just go get a Gorilla Pad, Happy Bottom or the like.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Hmmm...well I looked at gorilla pad at my local pool shop..and it's just glorified, heavy weed barrier type cloth from the looks of it.

I found something interesting too, while I was at my local DIY store, they had in the roofing area a product ALSO called Gorilla underlayment. Looks dang near identical to the pool store "gorilla" pad..but at a FRACTION of the cost. Could this be the same product? Could it be used?? Hmmm.........

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Sand works well, it was always used before gorilla pad or happy bottom, actually, it's still used to this day - I used it on our pool and am extremely happy with the outcome - much easier to do a cove with it too compared to trying to stick all these short sections of pool cove around the perimeter and making sure the gaps between them are nonexistent.

7. Back To Top    #7

Have your local landscape supply company deliver enough Mason sand, at least 2" all around plus a 6" cove around the base of the wall.
    2007 - 24' AG Doughboy Desert Spring dished 1.5', with DB Power Pak II-1hp pump, DB Sequel I Plus DE, Hayward H-Series Heater 100k + 8gal LQ.

8. Back To Top    #8

I used 2" of sand and then put happy bottom on top of that. I don't know what it's like getting wrinkles out if you just have sand but with the happy bottom, I can easily push the liner with my hands. I only had 3 inches of water in the pool when I did that. I'm thinking that screenings of rock dust might have sharp edges compared to sand. At the very least, I would go with the pad.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I still use sand, it compresses and compacts into a nice hard bottom typically. I've never been a fan of putting foams behind liners since although it protects damage from the side it is installed on it makes the side exposed to water more susceptible to punctures since sharp objects have room to travel.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp