How much suction should the skimmer have?

Apr 12, 2018
Indianapolis, IN
Went for it and opened the pool yesterday, I don't get the tornado effect I would expect, but it is pulling. I plan to add DE powder this evening after my first test with my TF-100, and I'm just concerned its not pulling enough. I'm not 100% sure all the air is out of the system so that may be the issue. All of my jets seems to be working as the 6 port valve allows. Pressure runs about 14 PSI if you need this info. Side note I only ran pump yesterday long enough to confirm everything was working so maybe 30 min or so that may not be long enough. I still get air and water when I open the valve on top of the filter.

TKS

tc,

If a skimmer is working correctly you should not see a swirling toilet-bowl like view. In theory, your pump should not be able to pull more water out of your skimmer than is coming in, unless the water level is really low or your Weir door is stuck in the up position.

A single speed pump should be fully primed in just a couple of minutes, so if you have air in your system after 30 minutes, something is wrong. But.. a filter pressure of 14 sounds pretty normal to me.

What problem are you trying to solve? Do you have a lot of air under the pump lid after 30 minutes? If your return eyeballs all have good flow and you are not getting any air bubbles into your pool, I am uncertain what it is you are trying to correct?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

No not getting lots of air always a little if I open the pressure relief and water after. I watched a video and the guy said look for the tornado in the skimmer before you place DE powder so that inspired my question . I think I'm being paranoid as this is my first time.

Thanks again

tc.

I suggest that you do not dump dry DE into the skimmer... What works best for me is to add the amount of DE you plan to use in a 5 gallon bucket.. Then add water... It will look like there is no room for the water, but you will be amazed by the amount of water that will still fit in the bucket.. Mix up the DE and water into a slurry and with the pump running... slowly pour the slurry into the skimmer...

Thanks,

Jim R.

A "tornado" effect in your skimmer is VERY undesirable......that sucks air in your system.....apparently that is happening to you now.....I am not sure.

Pool water level should be halfway up the skimmer sidewall......is that where you are?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.