Issues with Dolphin E10

rajung

Mar 17, 2015
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Finally getting this started up .!st time with Dolphin E10 , I must say, not impressed so far unless I expect too much.
It seems like 50% of the time this thing dances around, does wheelies. When it changes directions it does a wheel stand, floats up and around.
I feel like I am at Sea World.
Does it with both style filters and not dirty or cable bind.
Is this common ?

Reactions: JoniTull
What he said.

It won't make sense, but come back when it's done. Likely the floor
will be spotless, or possibly just missed one small area.

If it does miss a spot, try starting the E10 in that area next time.

Another problem I see by it doing all the floating around in pool, backward half flip,it seems to do more floating around and making a terrible twist in the power cord.I just took it out for the night and the blue power cord looked like a bunched up ball of Christmas lights which puts enough resistance in it that the cleaner wont pull it and starts to act worse.
I thought my Rover was outdated but this thing is 3 steps from the fire pit.Hate to see when I put the ladder back in.

hmmm. I've never had mine tangle it's cord up the way you describe.
Sure an occasional 1 or 2 twists, but that is all. Nothing to prevent
it from doing its job.

Have you ever laid the cord straight out in the sun for a half hour?
It's recommended to do that from time to time to keep it from tangling.

If your unit is not cleaning your pool in a satisfactory way and just tangling the cord, you might
need to contact warranty support.

I'm going to try it again tomorrow and maybe post a youtube video to show how bad this unit is.I purchased from Pool supplies superstore via Walmart in March. Not sure how returns are handled yet that way. But this is totally unacceptable.When ever it moves one direction, stops and goes the other way, it will do a wheelie with usually the small wheels on pool floor, raises front up and then the whole unit floats around for awhile before falling back to the pool floor and then moves 4 feet and starts the whole float process again. Im sure freight charges to send back if needed will be salty.

If it's floating, make sure you get all the air out of it before running. Just dropping it in the pool and letting it sink on its own doesn't get all the air out. I recommend lowering it in and flipping upside down or rocking it back and forth to help get all the air out first.

If it's floating, make sure you get all the air out of it before running. Just dropping it in the pool and letting it sink on its own doesn't get all the air out. I recommend lowering it in and flipping upside down or rocking it back and forth to help get all the air out first.

Thanks, will try that today as well as laying the power cord out flat in the sun for awhile. Guess I watched the instructional video too close, The man just lowered into pool, and then laid down on his chaise lounge with shades on.
I could of pushed him in.

I absolutely don't discount the OP. He is is seeing what he is seeing. I suspect there is some issue with the robot that is causing him not to be able to go right from dropping the robot in the water to the chaise lounge for a nap whist his pool gets cleaned.

That said, the cleaner and its siblings get high marks overall and I don't hesitate to continue recommending them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, will try that today as well as laying the power cord out flat in the sun for awhile. Guess I watched the instructional video too close, The man just lowered into pool, and then laid down on his chaise lounge with shades on.
I could of pushed him in.

HA! Threatening to push the You Tube video guy in the pool...snicker.

Dolphin's are prone to cord tangling no doubt. Not everyone but many. At least that was before some models got swivel cords for 2018 - not sure if they went all the way down the product line with them. No amount of laying the cord in the sun or doing a special figure 8 lasso sychronized wrapping of the cord will prevent all tangling in all cases, without a swivel.

Yes , does not have swivel, I think that is the biggest issue with the cord tangle coupled with the times that it does its floating anti gravity tricks.
Laying cord in the sun did nothing, this material is un- effected by that type of heat.
When I try to coil the cord when storing today you have to constantly shake, stretch and un twist it, sort of like a 3 wire extension cord that's start to resemble a licorice stick.
Yesterday I had it in the water over 5 hours , cleaning basket quite often. Today it ran about the same except I walked away to keep frustration aside. This thing one time did a wheel stand the whole length of pool one .I am in the process of connecting the heater, pump and ladder today so nothing running yet. One thing I have noticed, and it may be the cause of some of it, when the basket gets dirty it may be to much weight on the back end when it does a wheelie and the weight keeps it from dropping back down to pool floor.
I think it comes down to no pivot cord and filter weight.
Not sure if the extra time burping this thing mattered, it makes good sense, but 3 plus hours in the pool you would think the air pockets that would make this thing floaty would have worked out, especially when it climbs the wall, and yes, it does climb the wall about 25% of the time up to the water level. The other times it tries and gives up after 5 seconds.

I'd call it a defective unit then. Sounds like either the programming isn't cycling the pump motor on enough or the pump motor was just a dud. Return it to where you bought it and get another one. Bad out of box is rare but it happens and Maytronics has procedures in place for it.

I think I will video it and see if they need it , that would best explain it to them.
When the baskets get full such as the micro mesh with plain dirt or the other one just full of leaves and such, will it cause the issue? Just wondering if I actually had leaves and walked away the unit really wouldn't accomplish much after it starts to fill up.
I am going to try it today without a filter and see what happens

I ran it without filters today but did not pay attention to it as I was still connecting equipment. It did not get tangled up. I still burped it when lowering into pool.Anyone know what run time is? Not sure how long it ran before stopping, and I noticed the power button still lit, but from what I read it appears the light will still be illuminated after it is done, I just thought it died, but restarted after pressing off then on.
The pool never had leaves, just dirt on the bottom from being uncovered all winter. Have not heard back from Maytronics about what they might think.
I am seriously thinking its a filter issue, may it be the standard one or the ultra fine one, not that this pool has mud in it but maybe just enough dirt that it does such a good job cleaning the filter has to be cleaned every 20 min. at the beginning of pool opening for the season. When I open the compartment , when the filter is installed like yesterday, the filter basket is full of water, adding weight when it does its standing up act and losing balance, just a guess.? when I remove the cleaner. Thanks for all the reply's.

I think the run time is 1.5 hours.

Mine has never done a wheelie more than 3 feet, that must have looked funny going all the way across.

You mentioned hooking up the heater. I will say my cord is much more prone to twisting in cold water I noticed.
When the water is 84 it barely if any twisting at all.
Mine is definitely affected by water temp and it makes sense that plastic flex made thing like the cord would
do worse and stiffen in colder water. (around 45-50 degrees).

You should definitely clean the filter sooner when the pool is that dirty, it will just load up and struggle
to do it's job. I had that happen with the fine filter these past few weeks picking up a lot of pollen on
the floor. When I open it, the filter is also full of water that won't drain. It's pretty much useless when
it gets to that point and could have something to do with the balance, but I don't know for sure.

It was kind of interesting watching it do a wheel stand the whole length, brought back memories of my drag racing day's at the strip. but interest finally gave out when I realized what my purpose was for this thing.
Pool temp is hanging around 62 so I am in full re connect mode.
With the awful late snow last week, everything is in catch up mode outside. Not much time around this area from being able to work outside, and then the date where it has to be done to avoid water chem. problems. Hopefully all my issues come down to the filter needing constant cleaning during its cycle.
Guess I should have noticed sooner , on those infomercial videos how they plop the cleaner in, and then remove 5 leaves when done.
For anyone on the fence about a pool cleaner, and watching this thread, don't let my issue discourage you.
I ran through many reviews and the Dolphin came out on top for me, lot of more good than bad reviews. Maybe just a learning curve for me and comparing it the the Aquabot pool Rover that I have had for 4 years that did not pick up fine particles very well, regardless if standard bag or very fine bag.
Maybe doing too good of a job way fast. fast

The run time today, twice was 1.5hrs.
I ran it with the micro filer both times.
Never tangled.
I watched it a few times over the 2 cycles I ran.
Cleaned basket after each cycle.
The filter was plugged enough that the filter would slowly drain water as I was heading for the garden hose to clean out, yet still heavy when removing.
I have no idea what caused my previous issue,.
Have not heard back from a contact message sent to Maytronics 3 days ago. Anybody know what the warranty is on this unit? my manual says 12 months limited, but I am sure on one of the videos I watched it said 2 years. As of right now, I guess I will wait and see if this unit continues to work like today.I will say, during the cleaning cycles I have done this year, first use, compared to the Aqubot Pool Rover the previous 4 years , It does do a much better job getting rid of the fine dirt without having it resettle overnight.

The run time today, twice was 1.5hrs.
I ran it with the micro filer both times.
Never tangled.
I watched it a few times over the 2 cycles I ran.
Cleaned basket after each cycle.
The filter was plugged enough that the filter would slowly drain water as I was heading for the garden hose to clean out, yet still heavy when removing.
I have no idea what caused my previous issue,.
Have not heard back from a contact message sent to Maytronics 3 days ago. Anybody know what the warranty is on this unit? my manual says 12 months limited, but I am sure on one of the videos I watched it said 2 years. As of right now, I guess I will wait and see if this unit continues to work like today.I will say, during the cleaning cycles I have done this year, first use, compared to the Aqubot Pool Rover the previous 4 years , It does do a much better job getting rid of the fine dirt without having it resettle overnight.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully the long term use is better. I'm hoping to get one soon, but if there is only a 1 year warranty I wanted to wait until middle of May so if it is broken at opening next year it would be covered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.