No suction at skimmer

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa/FL
Skimmer works for 5 minutes and then stops. After backwashing it works for 5 minutes and then stops. Gauge starts at 10 psi and when it gets to 15 psi it stops, usually in 5 minutes. No bubbles in basket or coming from the jets. BUT when I recirculate all is fine for the entire day. So does this mean that the pump is working fine, hoses and skimmer is not clogged or sucking air? Installed new grids today (had holes in them and pool was full of DE). No leaks at filter cover and gasket is clean and lubed. I don't think I have any blockage because it works fine for 5 minutes (the barracuda is pounding /pulsing away). Any ideas of what causes the suction to decline to nothing after 5 minutes of operation.

Bug,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to find the answers to all your "Low Flow" questions... :shark:

Like Pooldv, I too think your filter is just doing what it gets paid to do... filter out all the bad stuff in the water.. If your pool is currently green in color, the filter is not the issue.

That said, I am puzzled by your comment.. "Installed new grids today (had holes in them and pool was full of DE)".... Does that mean your old grids had holes in them and that is why you replaced them? Or did you mean the new grids have holes in them and that the new grids are allowing DE back into your pool...??

What chemicals have you recently added to your pool?

How do you currently test your pool water?

Do you have the results of your latest test?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Old grids had the holes and I replaced them. I recently added 2 gallons of chlorine out of desperation (not the smartest thing, I know). Pool is no longer green but I can't suck up the pool floor with the vacuum due to poor/loss of suction. I usually take water samples to a local pool company for testing. I have not done that in a while and I am positive that is why my pool is green. I was trying to clear the old DE out first and remove the dead algae. Does the chemical application, testing and results have anything to do with my suction loss? I had heard that algae can clog the grids so I washed them off about 3 times in 1 day, but did not help my suction problem. I WILL get back to checking my chemical levels and or by a kit. I also replaced my multiport valve within the last year and the spider gasket 2 weeks ago, thinking that was the problem. Thank you for responding to my post!
Bugs

Not sure my 1st reply to your post went through. Pool was green with algae and DE. Pool is better after adding 2 gal of chlorine and vacuuming my pool. To vacuum, I had to backwash every 5 minutes because it kept loosing vacuum. After cleaning 1/3 of my pool by vacuuming I took the grids out and washed them down. I did not add any more DE because I thought it was picking it up old DE off of the pool floor and plugging up the grids. The third time I removed and washed the grids off there was not any DE to speak of, just green algae that rinsed right off. When I backwash I don't see hardly anything in the sight glass. I have not checked my chemical levels lately and I know it is most of my problem. Just cannot figure out the suction problem.

UPDATE!! Lost 2 inches of water with multi-port in Filter position. Water was trickling in sight glass?? Multi Port!! Opened Multi port and glue failed between Waste selection and Filter selection. Also noticed that when I moved the selector on the Multi-port the handle it did not seat all the way down. I removed the glue and the spider gasket and the handle responds the way it should. I think the cured glue was binding against the wall of the Multi-Port and the main disk that channels the water to the selected position. I'll let you know how it goes. When I put the glue on originally it may have been wet. I thought it was dry...DANG IT!

Re-glued the spider gasket in the multi-port valve using Permatex adhesive sealant, clear RTV. It ran great for 1 1/2 hours and lost suction. No more water loss in the pool. When moving the Multi-port to a different position it does not seem like it is seating all of the way down. Another words the handle has movement , up and down. So today I plan to inspect the gasket and the Multi-port selector (Upper 1/2).

Any thoughts on the glue that I am using, "Permatex adhesive sealant, clear RTV silicone"?
My filter pressure is 10 pounds, but when it climbs to 15 it seems like it may be causing strain on the spider gasket and causing the glue to fail. Any thoughts?

Bugs

RESOLVED! Multi-port gasket was intact. The 2 large fittings that were attached to the filter were loose...3/4 of a turn, but no water was leaking and no bubbles were in the pool. Biggest culprit was a frog, 1/2 the size of Detroit, was floating in the skimmer basket. I believe it crawled in the hose that was coiled up next to the pool, which sat there 2 days while I was brushing the pool and air drying the grids after cleaning them. I think it blocked the flow to the pump that was plugged into the suction port.

Biggest lesson learned: only use enough sealant to glue the bottom of the gasket which I applied directly to the gasket verses applying in the grooves of the multi port valve. Originally I put so much glue in the grooves that it pushed up and stuck to the upper plate on the multi port valve. The 1st time that I moved the valve from Filter to Backwash, it pulled the gasket out. The excess glue also served as a gateway to direct water under the gasket. Pool looks fantastic, now I have to get my chemicals adjusted.