2 pool equipment leaks, please help!

May 23, 2017
Mesa, AZ
Hi all,

I have a couple of leaks in my pool plumbing equipment and would like your opinions on what the best way to fix them is. Since I am new to this stuff and don't know what many of the locations/parts are called, I took some photos to show the leaks.

First leak is circled in red
(Photo Pending)
A closer look
3.jpg
To fix this do I have to replace the parts numbered 1-4, and would I cut the pipes numbered 5, 6, and 7? It appears to me that I don't have enough room anywhere but at those sections to cut and replace sections. What are the parts called that are numbered 1-4?
4.jpg

2nd leak overview
(Photo Pending)

It's coming from the top "one." What are these sections of pipe called?
6.jpg
Another view. It's only a small drip right now, but at times it is a much stronger flow. It changes from day to day.
(Photo Pending)

Please advise your opinions on the best way to fix these leaks or what to investigate in the case of the 2nd one, and if possible, I'd love to learn what different parts are called so I can have a conversation about this so when I go to buy parts I can explain what I need (and so I just know what I'm talking about, haha). Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: As you may have noticed, your photos didn't post. Those 3rd party sites have gotten more restrictive about sharing links unless you pay for their subscription. Now here at TFP you do have a small (new member) ability to upload some images depending on size. So just look on the toolbar for that square image icon with the black dots at each corner, then simply upload your image(s).

For the Photobucket links that didn't work, I'm just going to edit that post and remove them so we don't see all those 3rd party notices. We'll be glad to help give you some advise, and thanks for using the forum.

Bummer on the photos not posting. I was only able to upload 3 of my 7 photos with the storage space I had so I picked what I figured are the most relevant/helpful photos. Thanks for the heads up on the available photo space on the forum. :)

The new pics help. When you see water leaking where two PVC pieces join together (like an elbow or where a valve meet a straight piece, i.e. circle 2), that means the glue joint probably failed. Not much you can do on those spots but disassemble and re-plumb. You typically can't just add a glue on the outside because water will be pushing out if it's on the pressure side after the pump. That's not to say you can't try. If you turn off the system long enough to try some 2-part epoxy or something and let it sit overnight, you might buy some time. Since those pieces would have to be cut out, it won't hurt to try right?

Now for the leak around the valve (circle 1), those valves can have O-rings inside and perhaps around the top where the handle is attached. Either the O-ring is old/brittle, or perhaps just needs lubed. But if you're going to go that far into it, might as well replace the O-ring anyways. They're cheap. For circle 3 (ball valve), that one is pretty-much a "cut out and replace" item. Not much repair options on that one. Circle 4 is your check valve. They have one O-ring just under the lid that you twist off to remove. It's possible that O-ring just needs to be lubed or replaced. Circle 5, if it's the pipe that's leaking, you'll have to replace the pipe. Like pipes glued together, if you try an epoxy with the system off overnight, you might buy some time. Just depends. My check valve is on the suction side (before the pump) so you might get lucky. Then finally there's the filter. There should be an O-ring in there as well. In addition, some folks might use some Teflon tape on those threads before re-attached and screwing it back to the filter. Now also keep in mind it looks like you have a plunger valve there. I've seen manufactures sell a plunger kit with new O-rings and everything for that entire section, so you might look into that as well.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the response, Texas Splash. That is very helpful. In the first picture, I currently only have a leak at the elbow going into the circle 2 T piece. I think I will have to replace all the parts numbered 1-4 as I expected to really fix it, but will try the epoxy and see if I can buy a few weeks of time as I've got some life events that are more pressing.

For the sand filter, I'll get a new O ring (does Lowe's usually carry these or do I have better luck at a dedicated pool store like Leslie's?) and try the Teflon tape when I reattach. Thanks again! :)

For the PVC to PVC leak and the glue failure....to buy some time I have tried JB Weld over the area where the leak is coming from.... It is one of the better two part epoxies out there. Just make sure the pool system has been off for a long time so the water has drained and it's dry...and do not restart it for 8 hours or more. Put the JB Weld on when the sun is overhead to speed curing time...I'd use the normal JB Weld, and not the JB Quick. Another option is Marine Tex. Good stuff also. But at some point you'll be cutting and re-plumbing the PVC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.