Mastertemp 400 AFS issue with water in blower

Dec 29, 2011
My Mastertemp 400 which is 5 years old will not run. It immediately gives a service heater light on control board and the ICM is blinking once indicating an AFS issue.

The intake blower starts but there is nothing more that happens. Never feel air coming out of the outlet. I went to check the igniter and it was submerged in water. When i took it out, I can see water in the chamber. This can't be normal, right?

Is this a broken heat exchange or something else wrong with the combustion chamber? Is this what is thrown the AFS issue? I also noticed that the blower intake has condensation in it.

What should I do to further diagnose and fix? I am pretty handy and have fixed the igniter and a temp sensor on this same heater in the past. Is it worth fixing these parts or should I be considering buying a new Heater?

My Mastertemp 400 which is 5 years old will not run. It immediately gives a service heater light on control board and the ICM is blinking once indicating an AFS issue.

The intake blower starts but there is nothing more that happens. Never feel air coming out of the outlet. I went to check the igniter and it was submerged in water. When i took it out, I can see water in the chamber. This can't be normal, right?

Is this a broken heat exchange or something else wrong with the combustion chamber? Is this what is thrown the AFS issue? I also noticed that the blower intake has condensation in it.

What should I do to further diagnose and fix? I am pretty handy and have fixed the igniter and a temp sensor on this same heater in the past. Is it worth fixing these parts or should I be considering buying a new Heater?

If the ignitor is "submerged" in water, you have a leaking heat exchanger and the tub is full of water. Your heater is beyond repair at this point. There should NOT be any water in that tub, period. Sure you can remove the bottom bolt as suggested but the simple fact the ignitor is wet and you can see water inside, the heater is done for.

The only way water gets inside that tub is a leaking heat exchanger.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.