TA test results and other issue

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
Had our pool opend today by local pool company. I like to use them as if there are any issues with equipment over the winter they will take care of it on the spot. I then do all the balancing of the levels once they leave. However this year the guy forgot that I would be doing the balancing and added 5 gallons, yes 5 gallons of liquid cholorine. My FC is 68ppm, which is crazy high. Water is only 40 degrees so I am not getting an accurate CYA reading. I did try and warm it to room temp. It was showing that it was less than 30, but it did the same last year for the first few days of being opened and then showed a CYA of 40. It was at 80 at closing last fall.

I also tried to run a TA test. It never turned red. It did turn yellowish/clear after 7 drops. My TA usually hovers around 60-70. Is the crazy high FC levels causing my test to be inaccurate? My test kit is new, and all bottles have expiration date of 4/19.

I told the pool guy 5 gallons is way to much for my size pool. He responds was, “we add this much to all pools regardless of size, you will be thanking me in 2-3 days when your pool is clear. My pool did have some algae, and is very cloudy so I am pretty sure the levels will go down rather quickly, but still upset he did that.

Gee, that is a crazy high chlorine level, and you have every right to be concerned. :rant: You don't want it like that too long for the color of your liner. Your water is so cold still, that elevated FC may stay that way for a few days. It's at least 2-3 times your SLAM level. An FC of 68 means you must've done close to 130 drops - unless you used a 5ml water sample. Is that about right? Keep a close eye on that FC please. If it stays really high, we should get more experts on this thread for the care of your liner. I might even consider a partial water exchange just to add fresh water to lower it. But don't do that right now. Let's see how that FC reacts and I'll see about getting more eyes on this thread.

As for your TA, yes, an elevated FC will mess with the TA test. Try adding another 1-2 drops of the R-0007 before using the #8 and #9 drops. See if that helps. Next, make sure to never let that pool guy in your backyard again. :shark:

Initial thoughts seem to indicate the FC should burn-off rather quickly as your CYA is not that high. I would check your FC in the morning and report back with an updated reading. As long as the excessive elevation isn't too prolonged, you should not see any adverse changes to the liner. But it would be good to watch for the next 24 hrs or so.

Yes, about 136 drops to be exact. I was so mad! Last time I use that company If I call to complain tomorrow they will not believe me. He said he did e a “favor” and didn’t write it up so they would no he put it in so I wouldn’t get charged.

Just checked the level again and its down to 57ppm, 114 drops. Water is still cloudy so I am hoping that the organics in the water will burn a lot of it off still.

Today was rainy and complete overcast. The next few days will be sunny. Sun should burn some FC off as well.

Just tested and FC level is at 19ppm. It was still very high this morning, but pool got lots of sun today. I also brushed a lot of cloudy junk off the bottom. As of this evening water is pretty clear, and CC is at 0. I think it can get a bit clearer so I will hold at slam level for one more day then try the OCLT. Odd thing is my CYA is still testing at less than 30. When I closed it was at 80ppm. Did not drain over half of my pool. Can you lose your CYA over the winter? I will let water sample warm overnight once again and see where its at in the morning.

Odd thing is my CYA is still testing at less than 30. When I closed it was at 80ppm. Did not drain over half of my pool. Can you lose your CYA over the winter?
CYA can and often does change over the winter, but 50 ppm is a big drop. Sometimes the chemical change can even result in ammonia within a pool which is extremely aggressive. I don't believe that was the case with you though. Still, if it's low, and you're sure your CYA testing is spot-on, then make sure it's at least 30 for now until you start using the SWG exclusively again. Then of course you can increase it to 70. I would monitor the FC level and as you stated, continue a SLAM with an FC of 12 until you pass the OCLT and your water is crystal clear. Glad to see the FC made such a big drop today. Have a nice weekend.

If you’ve tested 3x using the proper technique (outside in full sun at back) and got 30 each time, then I’d trust it. It is possible to loose CYA over the winter since you’ve probably been closed for 6 months.
If you still have cloudy water then it’s not time to consider OCLT yet. You haven’t passed the “clear water” test, so it doesn’t matter what OCLT results are.
Good to hear your FC is coming down to a more reasonable level.

dbtgallery.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.