New Pool Build - Little Elm TX

Apr 13, 2017
Little Elm Texas
We almost pulled trigger last year, but we were not really ready.
Called the PB from last year, and pulled the trigger. Just signed our paperwork, waiting on some bank stuff, and still picking stuff out.
Small pool, but for two little kids and me to BBQ, will be just right.

Most PBs in this area, or at least the 5 or so we talked to, all push chlorine. When researching last year, I came across this site.
After research, decided on salt.

CL 460 filter
Jep 2.O pump
Jandy I Auqalink
Polaris 280 blue with 3/4hp booster pump
Jandy Aquapure 1400 Salt system

479sft
14,500 gallons

Next step is permits

Having trouble uploading the other pics

TFP4

TFP3

TFP2

TFP1

Attachments

• TFP1.jpg
    TFP1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 650
I am just hoping people can chime in on the equipment I am getting. Want to make sure I am setup ok, and to make sure the Jandy stuff is not junk.

What I am reading is that I should get a SWG that is rated x2 the volume of my pool. That SWG is rated 40K and my pool is 14.5K gallons, so I think I am good.

Trying to get some other pics to load.

Got two SOL J lights, whatever that means. My neighbor down the street who went with this PB, has the same lights, they seem nice to me. Can change the colors and such.

Wife and I are talking about what color of Stonescape to get.

Was going to do Tahoe Blue, but I have heard on these forums that this can have a hint of green. Wife and I want zero green.
Was looking at French Gray, but it might be a bit light.

Wife is trying to find some travertine that is not tan, she wants to avoid tan.

Some of the colors I have read here will have that "windex blue" look. I actually don't mind that.

- - - Updated - - -

Found a hosting site for my pics

TFP1 — imgbb.com
TFP2 — imgbb.com
TFP3 — imgbb.com
TFP4 — imgbb.com

Just an FYI, a pool with a SWCG is a "chlorine" pool just like a pool that's manually dosed is a "salt" pool. The only difference is one you add chlorine a little bit at a time manually, the other is a devices that creates chlorine from salt you have added to the pool.

I'm not familiar with the equipment you listed so I can't help there. I'll just note I don't think a lot of people have much use for a booster pump.

I am of the opinion that it is better to spend more time thinking of skimmer and return count and placements than equipment or colors. Every piece of equipment is going to fail and your surface will have to be redone eventually, but the layout of your pool and number and placement of the returns and skimmers are pretty much permanent.

Look forward to your build pictures!

Lardo, (How often do you get a chance to call someone that?) :p

If the booster pump is for a pressure side cleaner, then I suggest you look into a Robot cleaner instead... Water powered cleaners are pretty old technology... They were created about the same time as the old Black Rotary-Dial telephones... Robots are more like cell phones, technology wise...

Here is a good starter thread... Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Thanks,

Jim R.

If the booster pump is for a pressure side cleaner, then I suggest you look into a Robot cleaner instead... Water powered cleaners are pretty old technology... They were created about the same time as the old Black Rotary-Dial telephones... Robots are more like cell phones, technology wise...

Here is a good starter thread... Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Thanks,

Jim R.

Will look at that today, thanks!
I did update my equipment list with the correct cleaner I have
Polaris 280 blue with 3/4hp booster pump

Thanks,

Jim R.

I will run a search, but will ask her also.
You said it is newer technology, but what is the big advantage over spending the extra money for a robot vs the cleaner the PB is giving me?
As far as cleaners go, robot or the Polaris, do you leave them in all day or only for hours at a time?

Trying to determine if the newer technology is going to be such a difference that I need to spend the extra money now.

L,

Most people tend to leave the Polaris in because it is more of a pain to take out or put in...

Most people take their Robots out, but they can be left in.

The main problem with water powered cleaners is that you have to run your pump, or pumps, for them to work. Running pool pumps cost money. Robots are self-contained, operate on low voltage DC, and cost next to nothing to operate. Robots also do a much better job of cleaning a pool.

But, for me anyway, the main issue is appearance... Did you notice that the ugly Polaris is not shown in any of your pool images?? There is a reason for this... :p Having a cleaner of any kind in my pool, just spoils the view for me. They are a necessary evil, but I don't like looking at them.

But... my "task" is to just present you with ideas or options... it is your pool, so whatever works for you, works for me...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I've had the Polaris 280 for the 3 years we've had our pool and haven't had any issues with it. I've never had a robot, but they seem to be the preferred cleaner method on here. If my pump or Polaris died, I'd definitely look at robots for a replacement. As Jim R. mentions I think the technology has come a long way. The Polaris has two components, the unit in the pool and the pump to run it whereas the robots are a self contained unit that needs no extra plumbing.

I leave the Polaris in most of the time but I don't mind the appearance of it. I don't think it's a pain to take out, but you do need to disconnect it at the wall fitting verses just lifting the robot out.

You do need to run the pump to run the Polaris, but again, I just turn the Polaris on for a couple hours a day if needed while the pump is running.

I think the robots do clean a little better, but with a fine mesh bag on the polaris it does pretty well too. I only vacuumed a couple of times last year and I open in April and close in November.

Walt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Neighbor!

Love your design, it will be fun to follow along on your build.

I know nothing about equipment so I'll leave that to the experts. We are going with PebbleSheen Ocean Blue. I also didn't want green, I wanted a deep blue - almost like a lagoon. Have you looked at Blue Surf? Several people here have used it and love it.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you aren't using PebbleSheen. ;)

Hey Neighbor!

Love your design, it will be fun to follow along on your build.

I know nothing about equipment so I'll leave that to the experts. We are going with PebbleSheen Ocean Blue. I also didn't want green, I wanted a deep blue - almost like a lagoon. Have you looked at Blue Surf? Several people here have used it and love it.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you aren't using PebbleSheen. ;)

Leighhop, what did you go with for decking on your salt pool? We will be getting Travertine, curious how yours is handling the salt.

Your booster pump and Polaris 280 will run you about 1,000 bucks. A robot like the maytronic 300 will run you around the same. So its basically a choose between A and B. The recommendation of the robot its because it will save you on your electric bill. Dont know about your Jep 2.0 pump, but make sure its a variable speed, that will also save you money on electricity. Everything else looks fine.

Felipe

If you're using stonescapes pebble or mini pebble, I'd recommend looking at Aqua Blue. I originally was thinking about going with aqua cool or aqua white, but after talking to my builder, he recommended the aqua blue. Aqua white seems to look like plaster with a little bit of color, but I'm paying for pebble so might as well make sure it looks that way. Similar with the aqua white, as there isn't a lot of colored pebbles other than blue which makes it look more like a uniform blue plaster (IMO). The aqua blue looks the exact same as aqua white but has dark pebbles added that gives it a good contrast. The water will still look blue and it will not be dark like Tahoe blue. I stayed away from the grayish colors as recommended by a person at NTP. Since I'm doing a large baja shelf, she said the colors like french gray or some of the darker ones can end up looking like cement on shallower surfaces. Not sure if this is true or not, but I was leaning towards blue anyways.

I had a pressure side cleaner for 4 years before selling it and buying a robot. The quality of cleaning on fine dust is night and day. A (Dolphin) robot with ultra fine cartridges installed is an amazing suction and water filtration device.

Picked out our stuff today.
I went with Quartzscapes Barbados Blue. The pics I have come across is the blue i want.

Picked out our Pavers and stone for wall and kitchen.

We are going with Travertine. I know some seal and some don't (because of the salt), but I think I am going to try and find a good "clear" seal to use, as to not change the color of the stone.

Exciting stuff! Had to pull up some Barbados Blue pics. Excellent choice.

I had a specific "look" I wanted. Not light, not dark, right in the middle.
The StoneScapes (for my budget) did not have it. The Tropical Blue looked like what I was wanting, but it was more expensive. We were maxed at our budget after I had the PB switch from Chlorine system to SWG.
Quartzscape was within the budget. I was thinking either Tahoe Blue in that model, or the Barbados Blue. The BB just had more of the "blue" I was looking for.

I had a specific "look" I wanted. Not light, not dark, right in the middle.
The StoneScapes (for my budget) did not have it. The Tropical Blue looked like what I was wanting, but it was more expensive. We were maxed at our budget after I had the PB switch from Chlorine system to SWG.
Quartzscape was within the budget. I was thinking either Tahoe Blue in that model, or the Barbados Blue. The BB just had more of the "blue" I was looking for.

Cannot wait to see your Barbados Blue. This is actually the color I was leaning toward before I decided on using Stonescapes instead of the Quartzscapes. Such a beautiful color. I ended up going with Stonescapes Midnight Blue and couldn't be happier. Best of luck to you with your build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.