New to forum - let's get this pool back in shape

I don't get it, have the FC quite stable during the night (~1 /1.5ppm drop per night from 40 to 38.5) but I can't get rid of the CC. It keeps showing 1.5ppm.

It had been the same for 2 days now. Water has been crystal clear for 5 days, I can't see any algae... That slam has started 7 days ago...

When will this stop ?

Yeah I guess. Half cakes I would say ! Trying to attach a pic (taken before the SLAM, obviously).
0e83bea7b4a9d0fab74ddf44e3f72502.jpg

Those are solid so you're okay. Not like the fiberglass ones. Wanted to make sure. :) Hang in there though. The elevated CCs mean your bleach is killing something. Down here in SA it was very overcast, so the lack of sun might inhibit good oxidation. So if tomorrow is a better day, you might see some changes in the CCs. Good luck!

I am still confused.

Had the heater running over the weekend so we could swim yesterday and today, but there is still a smell of chlorine and the CC keeps showing between 1.5 and 1ppm.

Water is crystal clear, no algeas... I checked the filer the cartridges are not dirty (still showing some white colour from the previous cleaning a week ago), the water in there is a not crystal clear but I guess this is normal for a filter ?

What am I missing here ? I am tired of throwing 15 usd of bleach every day in that pool.

Can someone convince me not to let the FC drop to 10/12 and maintain it at that level?

the CCs could be your chlorine burning off some lotions or sweat off yesterday's swimmers.... or maybe someone pee'd in the pool?

Maddie :flower:
Maybe.

This morning 1ppm FC drop overnight, but still 2ppm of CC....

Can it be because the PH could be to high (I don't see the relation though). PH was 7.5 when I started 10 days ago and it has rained (slightly) 2 days ago. Also has the water feature running this weekend.

I did a add a bit of acid already to make sure.

SK, went back to post #1 to re-read everything. I agree that it's unusual to see such an elevated CC level to this point. Below are some major milestones I made noted of to get my thoughts around your issue:
11 Apr - Cleaned everything, got new cartridges and shocked the pool with a lot of chlorine powder.
13 Apr - TF-100 received. SLAM officially can start accurately.
14 Apr - Initial CYA 80/90
15 Apr - Large FC drops indicate a huge sanitation battle; questionable pressure gauge and lack of vacuum
18 Apr - Now 5 days in to the SLAM, the water has been crystal clear for more than 48hrs now but I still can't pass the OCLT.
23 Apr - Elevated CC and smell still present

I have seen elevated CCs present themselves in various circumstances such as: owners using MPS-related chlorinating products, winterization products, significant algae bloom/oxidation. So I go back through everything and see the following possible scenarios:
- In your early stages this year or last with chlorine powders, do you recall what type/brand they were?
- Do yo know if any winterization products were previously used? ANY pool store products that you know of? Of course who knows what previous owners did.
- The CYA. We need to be absolutely sure about that 80/90 result back on the 14th. It's a gorgeous sunny day in our area, so I'd do another test today.
CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Use the mixing bottle to gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Recommend standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body at waist level. Then, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. To help the eyes and prevent staring at the dot, some people find it better to pour & view in stages. Pour some solution into the viewing tube, look away, then look back again for the dot. Repeat as necessary until you feel the dot is gone. After the first CYA test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, gently shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate your own CYA reading.
If there is ANY chance at all the CYA is close to 100, do a dilution test as noted on the TFP Pool School - CYA page, starting at Step #8.
- What kind of bleach are you using for the SLAM?

Your SLAM is officially about 1.5 weeks long. About average length at this point. I have a gut feeling a lot of what you are experiencing may be related to products added to the water previously that you were not aware of. If doesn't mean the SLAM won't work, but could explain the lasting CC issue and OCLT. The CYA test is also extremely important right now.

SK, went back to post #1 to re-read everything. I agree that it's unusual to see such an elevated CC level to this point. Below are some major milestones I made noted of to get my thoughts around your issue:
11 Apr - Cleaned everything, got new cartridges and shocked the pool with a lot of chlorine powder.
13 Apr - TF-100 received. SLAM officially can start accurately.
14 Apr - Initial CYA 80/90
15 Apr - Large FC drops indicate a huge sanitation battle; questionable pressure gauge and lack of vacuum
18 Apr - Now 5 days in to the SLAM, the water has been crystal clear for more than 48hrs now but I still can't pass the OCLT.
23 Apr - Elevated CC and smell still present

I have seen elevated CCs present themselves in various circumstances such as: owners using MPS-related chlorinating products, winterization products, significant algae bloom/oxidation. So I go back through everything and see the following possible scenarios:
- In your early stages this year or last with chlorine powders, do you recall what type/brand they were?
- Do yo know if any winterization products were previously used? ANY pool store products that you know of? Of course who knows what previous owners did.
- The CYA. We need to be absolutely sure about that 80/90 result back on the 14th. It's a gorgeous sunny day in our area, so I'd do another test today.
If there is ANY chance at all the CYA is close to 100, do a dilution test as noted on the TFP Pool School - CYA page, starting at Step #8.
- What kind of bleach are you using for the SLAM?

Your SLAM is officially about 1.5 weeks long. About average length at this point. I have a gut feeling a lot of what you are experiencing may be related to products added to the water previously that you were not aware of. If doesn't mean the SLAM won't work, but could explain the lasting CC issue and OCLT. The CYA test is also extremely important right now.
Thanks TS for the follow up.

I did test the CYA again this morning (sunny, sun in the back etc). Shows 70/80. I guess it makes sense that it dropped slightly as we had some rain a couple of days ago.
I was conservative in my first test when taking 90 as a basis, I believe it was actually closer to 80.

Right now I would say it is at 70, but will assume 80 to be conservative.

No winterization products the past year. I did throw some algeacide once, some algeacide 40 from Membermarks.

I always used the Clorox extra blue as pucks in the chlorine feeder or directly in the pool.
Chlorine shocks were either the powder power plus from Leslie (Cal hypo I believe) or more recently some zappit 73 calhypo.

As for bleach I have been using the HEB bravo regular 80pct of the time. The rest was either the Clorox from Costco or the HDX germicidal.

I did empty the filter and cleaned the cartridges again this morning. That was not very dirty in there but the smell of chlorine was present. The water was a obviously not clear but I could see the bottom of the filer when half empty.

I did rest the CC again at lunch time and it went down to 1ppm.

I am maintening the FC around 33/35, which should be ok with a CYA of 80.

I never had a pool that clean and clear, my wife and parents (who are also pool owners in Europe) are going crazy to see me keep throwing that much bleach in there!

I will test again tonight and tomorrow morning... and kids won't be allowed to pee in the pool this afternoon [emoji14]

Thanks again for your help!

There's a strong possibility the bleach is still eliminating some of the residual products from before. A one-time use of algaecide maybe not be such a big deal depending on the amount. Definitely stay away from the Clorox Blue pucks as it's possible they have copper in them. I couldn't get to an MSDS right now, but the "blue" is a red flag. In the rare times you do need tabs (i.e. vacation when CYA is low), just grab a small amount without the blue, and always use a floater, never place in the skimmer basket (too acidic). My recommendation (when you can) - stick to the Bravo regular bleach. It's generally fresh as seen on the Julian Date stamp on each bottle because the stock on those shelves moves quickly. While the others are okay to use, they can either cost more and/or in the case of HDX, can vary in strength due to storage conditions. If you use the CYA of 80, then an FC of 31 will suffice. It's good the CC dropped a little. Perhaps the FC and ample sunlight oxidation is helping in the transition.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This morning :

No FC drop, CC at zero, water clear.

SLAM DONE. :kim:

Thanks a lot guys for your help !

I will let that FC go down below 10 so I can run a full serie of test incuding PH.

Might move to SWG next season, all those platic bottles of bleach going to the thrash... not a big fan of it :/