Your CH number is half what it was 2 days ago. So there is either testing error or an almost 50% water exchange. Just noting :)

Your TA is fine, I'd leave it alone (so no baking soda)

I would hold off on the baking soda. By keeping it at 60, you have a better chance of keeping the pH from climbing too quickly. At 50 CYA, you want your target FC in the 6-8 range, and never below 4. Shoot for 8 as that will give you more leeway with the daily FC burn off so you don't get so close to 4.

Today’s results:
FC: 5
pH: 7.2
CC: 0
CH: 75
TA: 70
CYA: 40

looks like my CYA dropped a bit. Is that just it finally settling in? Should I ramp it back up to 50?

will be tossing in the calcium chloride this weekend to hit target, and just added 96 more oz. liquid chlorine to get to 8. I think, as someone else noted, my liquid chlorine is a bit stale, I’ll scope out fresher chems next time I purchase.

Otherwise, pool looks stunning. I think my wife is starting to buy in to tfp method (she was skeptical at first!)

thanks all,
mark

Great to hear!
The boxed of chlorine you posted weren't too old, so they should be fine until they get used up. A CYA of 40 is fine and wouldn't drop unless you replaced water. There is no need to add any unless you are seeing some excessive (more than desired) chlorine loss each day. As summer hits strong, perhaps then bump it up a bit.

How about a pic to show off your hard work ;)

Been testing all week and refining and dialing in my procedures. We had a few days of clouds, so my CYA readings may have been off. I also wasn’t testing 1’ deep water. Also tried the ‘pour cya up to each increment’ and taking a quick glance. After 2 full sun days here is where I stand:

PH :7.5
FC: 5.5
CC: .5
CH: 75
TA: 70
CYA : 30
temp: 58

i know I still need to add calcium chloride to get to value. Also I noted for the first time a cc value. Is this a concern? Also my CYA value seems lower, but I attribute that to erratic testing procedure (user error/ learning), and cloudy days. The reading of 30 more closely aligns with what was recommended on pool calc and volume of pool. Besides adding the calcium chloride, should I think about upping my CYA a tad more? And not sure what, if anything to do about CC.

Anyways, the pool still looks great and I sure do have a sense of satisfaction knowing I am in control! Thanks again for all the help!

Ps. Working on a membership so I can post more pics!!

A CC of .5 or less means you can ignore it. Pool is fine. 1 or higher can be a problem such as something growing in your water. Regarding your CYA, 30 may be a bit low for your area, especially in the extreme summer as you put it. Try it at 30 and closely watch your FC. Dose it to 6 and see if it gets close to your minimum of 2. If you find it gets there regularly, you should bump CYA up to at least 40 and bump your FC up again to that next level on the CYA/FC chart. I run my CYA at 50 and dose FC to 8 and I find that I burn 1.5 to 3 PPM per day. In extreme heat, probably closer to 4-5 PPM per day. I like having that little buffer from my daily loss in case something comes up and I can't put in chlorine every day.

Doesn't it feel good to know that you're in total control of your pool and the dreaded pool store can't sucker you into buying their magic potions like phosfree and other junk.

A few weeks in and all is well!

FC: 4.5 (just added enough to get back to 7. using 2-2.5 FC daily)
CC: .5 ( probably less, I’m seeing just the least discernible pink)
TA: 80
CH: 300
pH 7.8. (Seems to be raising ever so slightly)
CYA :40
temp: 67

is the rising pH something to counter? Borax addition needed or MA?

I think I will also raise my CYA to 50 to see if that slows my chlorine consumption. I haven’t had many swimmers yet, and the heat is about to start climbing.

01406626-613F-4ACC-B77E-EEA7785063D5.jpg

I think I will also raise my CYA to 50 to see if that slows my chlorine consumption. I haven’t had many swimmers yet, and the heat is about to start climbing.

View attachment 77634

Great progress. I am right in line with you having taken on pool ownership and control here in 2018.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very nice, it looks like you've got the hang of it. Good idea on the CYA with the heat of summer coming. Regarding your pH, you can knock it down to 7.4 - 7.6 with muriatic acid and that in turn should knock down your TA a little bit over time. You probably won't use Borax again. It will just be muriatic acid to counter the pH rise. When using liquid chlorine, bleach, or a SWG, pH will climb more than when using tablets because the tablets are acidic and tend to drop the pH a little. Very normal.

Isn't TFP fun!! Enjoy that beautiful pool!!

Good job on the FC, how old is the pebbletec finish? Are you still needing to get Pool Store water testing records for warranty?

Use PoolMath to add enough MA to lower PH Now/7.8 to Goal/7.2 ... Your spitting dolphins will raise the PH through aeration

{pic}
Definitely! That UV is wicked tough on chlorine. It seems the calculation was spot on for the first dose of CyA/30, so you can chagne it to Now/30 Goal/50 (and increase your daily FC Goal to 6-8 as previous mentioned)

Big test today! Last day of school and a 4th grade swim party!

Raised my CYA to 50 and I’ve been experiencing about 2.5 ppm FC Loss per day. It’s been warm 90-100, so I’m ok with that. Also added enough MA to get my ph down to 7.4. I noticed my water looked more ‘inky’ when I lowered my ph. Is that possible? Or am I imaging it?

So in preparation for the pool party I raised my FC to 10 and I will test again this evening and report back!

Thanks again, the pool is lovely!!

mark

Redding is a beautiful area! Oh...nice pool and water looks awesome. Raising FC to 10 for the party is a great idea. 50 on the CYA was also a good call with the heat and I think you can go up to 60 since it appears your pool in non-SWG. I do have SWG and my CYA is at 70 but I will push to 80 in the next week or so. The Texas heat has arrived and my pool gets full sun all day. Enjoy the party...

:roll:
Redding is a beautiful area! Oh...nice pool and water looks awesome. Raising FC to 10 for the party is a great idea. 50 on the CYA was also a good call with the heat and I think you can go up to 60 since it appears your pool in non-SWG. I do have SWG and my CYA is at 70 but I will push to 80 in the next week or so. The Texas heat has arrived and my pool gets full sun all day. Enjoy the party...

Not sure I’ll enjoy the party! I’ve had 2 stress dreams related to water chemistry and this party!! Haha! Ahem:D

Quick question.
We were recently evacuated due to the Carr fire in Redding. Family is all safe and our house still stands. We are hoping to repopulate in the next few days. I haven’t put chlorine or anything in the pool in several days and will likely have to slam.

Does anyone one have any experience with fires and their pool? Before we left ash was filling the pool and I have no idea what the condition will be like. Any other concerns -pool-wise I should be considering?

Thanks!
Mark

Reactions: splashpad
So sorry to hear this for you and the other NORCAL folks. Praying for the safety and best for all!

im not sure what I would have done other than shut everything down. When you return make a good assessment, take some pics and give an update. Then the folks will be able to assist...

Quick question.
We were recently evacuated due to the Carr fire in Redding. Family is all safe and our house still stands. We are hoping to repopulate in the next few days. I haven’t put chlorine or anything in the pool in several days and will likely have to slam.
Does anyone one have any experience with fires and their pool? Before we left ash was filling the pool and I have no idea what the condition will be like. Any other concerns -pool-wise I should be considering?
Glad your family is well, how did the pool situation turn out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.