Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GREEN WATER BUT CHEMISTRY PERFECT! PLS HELP!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

GREEN WATER BUT CHEMISTRY PERFECT! PLS HELP!!!!

BE GENTLE! its my first time!!
    my pool stats: fiberglass shell in ground, 31x14x (3 shallow 9 deep) ~22750gal i think
    motor 1 hp ao smith brand new
    filter hayward cartridge(stuff doesnt stick to it, comes out through jets!! suggestions?)

i noticed my pool getting cloudy on friday so i tested the water(all good) and immediately took it to the local pool chain to do further testing. they said evtngs fine. by sunday TOTALLY GREEN CANT SEE MY DRAIN!! i though if ph,alk, and cl were good your pool was o.k.? please help me! i didnt think this was sooo harrrrddd!! i run my pool motor 8 hrs a day 9-5 daily. it has been around 90-95 in no california last/this week. thx. pete
    hayward cartridge filter c1200
    ao smith 1 hp motor
    22700 inground fiberglass
    no cal

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: GREEN WATER BUT CHEMISTRY PERFECT! PLS HELP!!!!

You need to post your water figures "all good" is NOT true or you wouldn't have a green pool .

3. Back To Top    #3

sorry!
    cl 5
    ph 7.5
    ta 110
    ch 240
    cya 80
    tds 850
    phos 100-200
    ao smith 1 hp motor
    no cal

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Ok, with your level of CYA you should be running at a much higher level of chlorine FC9 and you will need to shock with bleach to reach a breakpoint of FC31 check out http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ya_chart_shock

Ideally you should partly drain some water to lower your CYA and then re-fill with fresh, however some parts of your country seem to require higher CYA due to very strong sunlight.

You will learn a heck of a lot if you study the Pool School section of this site, Button on the top right.

5. Back To Top    #5

thank you very much! i will read up. what about the algacide i just added? do i just follow the new directions in the post? and any ideas why my brand new filter lets particles back throug my jets? thx again!
    ao smith 1 hp motor
    no cal

6. Back To Top    #6

While you're reading through pool school, pay particular attention to the articles in the chemistry section and the articles titled how to defeat algae and how to shock your pool. Algaecide is not needed. Chlorine is the ultimate algaecide which you will learn about and soon see first hand if you follow the method outlined in pool school. Have you been paying attention to the pressure on your filter? When was the last time you cleaned it?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Make sure your cartridge is installed properly and is not damaged...

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

8. Back To Top    #8

thx fellahs. the psi on the filter is usually right at 9. maybe 10 when dirty but brand new! i wish i kept the sand sometimes when i see stuff blowing back in through the jets while vacuuming! is it necessary to draqin some water to reduce my cya?? its at 80 and the pool calc is reccomending it. it gets really hot here in no cal. gonna be 100 today!
    ao smith 1 hp motor
    no cal

9. Back To Top    #9

The higher the CYA the higher the level of chlorine that must be maintained, plus the higher shock level. See the chart in my sig.

Sounds like something is not right with your filter.

Please create a signature with your specs - Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

Tell us more about the equipment, size of the filter and speed of the pump.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

thx for directing me as to what to read....a lot of information. u cut in down. how do i find or calc the speed of my pump??
    ao smith 1 hp motor
    no cal

11. Back To Top    #11

Well I'm hoping one of the equipment experts will advice if that pump/filter combo is the right size & combo for your size pool....maybe they can troubleshoot why stuff is bypassing into the pool...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    one of the equipment experts will advice if that pump/filter combo is the right size & combo for your size pool
    That pump and filter are fine. In an ideal world the pump could be smaller and the filter larger, but it should work just fine as it is. The filter is rated for 120 GPM in residential usage. It is more difficult to pinpoint the pump, but it is probably moving between 40 and 70 GPM, which is enough for that size pool and not too much for the filter.

Sometimes when you are vacuuming there is some extremely fine dust that can get through the filter and back into the pool as a cloudiness, but nothing that you can actually see individual particles of should make it through the filter. If something of visible size is getting through the filter then something is wrong. You can double check this by putting a nylon stocking on the return and checking to see if anything accumulates in it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School