New member and I let my pool get away from me....

Well I am a week in and still chugging along. So far 50+ gallons of bleach. Brushing and vacuuming twice a day and having to clean my cartridges about every other day, which i guess means it’s still doing work. Pool water looks awesome, just have all of the algae to keep getting out, which at this point looks like sand on the bottom. I have a bit of calcium buildup in some spots along the water line, but will worry about that last. FC dropped from 24 to 21 overnight last night, so hopefully I’m getting close

:goodjob: Great feedback and makes perfect sense. Continue the fight as it sounds like you are making some good progress and seeing things there just as we would expect.

dbtgallery.php

I am wondering if something is off with my pool. I can’t stay home enough to keep it at the current rate. Overnight my FC went from 24 to 21, then at 9am this morning I added the 3 gallons from pool math to return to 24. Now just got home from worn and my FC is back down to 13! My pH was high when I started, maybe I should just let it creep back down to a lower FC so i can get an accurate pH reading? I bought up all the bleach from our dollar store so I don’t have the 7 gallons it’s asking for at the moment anyway

The FC will drop fairly fast during the day, especially on a relatively bright, warm day, because the FC is not in it's ideal daily zone - it's at a higher SLAM level. So the sun and any organics are grabbing the FC that is not as protected (bound) to stabilizer. Maybe not my best way of explaining it, but the higher the FC from the ideal range, the quicker it will fall basically. That's why the overnight test is so good. But do your best to maintain. As for the pH, it's not the most important issue, but if your FC is already down to 13, you could probably let it fall to 9 and check just to feel better. Then hit it again quickly back to 24. Hang in there!

The FC will drop fairly fast during the day, especially on a relatively bright, warm day, because the FC is not in it's ideal daily zone - it's at a higher SLAM level. So the sun and any organics are grabbing the FC that is not as protected (bound) to stabilizer. Maybe not my best way of explaining it, but the higher the FC from the ideal range, the quicker it will fall basically. That's why the overnight test is so good. But do your best to maintain. As for the pH, it's not the most important issue, but if your FC is already down to 13, you could probably let it fall to 9 and check just to feel better. Then hit it again quickly back to 24. Hang in there!

Curious... (Has this already been asked?) Is there no way to negate the chlorine just in the test sample, to then get an accurate pH reading? Instead of messing with the FC in the whole pool? Which is just going to prolong the SLAM, right?

If I remember right, my cheap-o test kit had me put in a couple drops of something to get rid of the chlorine, before continuing with one of the tests. I think one of my K2006 tests does that, too.

Or is there something else going on that messes with an accurate pH test?

Curious... (Has this already been asked?) Is there no way to negate the chlorine just in the test sample, to then get an accurate pH reading?
If there is, I really don't recall. Normally we wouldn't worry about the pH during a SLAM, but the OP's FC dropped so much while away at work, letting it go for a couple more FC points won't make a huge difference just so he is reassured since his SLAM could still take a while.

My main concern is that I knew ph was high when I started, and now that I’m about 60 gallons of bleach in and it’s still dropping so much, I am wondering if I have high pH which i read makes the chlorine less effective.

Sorry, I tried for ya. Either let the FC come down, as suggested, so you can test it, or maybe...

Do you have one of the Taylor-reagent-based test kits? When I was having a testing issue, I called Taylor and got the main tech guy on the phone. He was extremely knowledgable, and very helpful and answered all my questions. Maybe give them a call and see if they can offer a solution. TFP knows there stuff, no doubt about it, but maybe this Taylor guy has a trick up his sleeve.

The contradiction seems to be that TFP advises to keep your FC at SLAM level as much as possible, and not to let it drop if at all possible until the SLAM is done, with the explanation that going below just prolongs the SLAM. But if pH is constantly rising, as it does in my pool, and you have an extended SLAM, what are you supposed to do? Especially if, as you say, high pH compromises the effects of FC. I'm missing something.

Don't let me get between you and the TFP advice, I'm just trying to learn this stuff for my own use...

If Taylor comes up with something, be sure to post it back here and run it up the ol' TFP flag pole.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so like I said, the chlorine supply ran out in my town so my FC dropped quickly back to 1! I have to start the slam over. But here’s what’s strange. I did a full test test again.

ph - 8.1
fc - 1
cc - 1
TA -150
ch - 450
cya - 30 (maybe lower)

the cya is confusing because it was 60 prior to starting slam and I thought that didn’t go down without losing water?. It was warm and sunny out when i did the test

Post #1 : 40 CYA
Post #4 : 60 CYA (with cold water?)
Post #10 : 50 CYA (don’e in the dark?)
Post #31 : 30 ( sunny out)

Based on this, I think you have some testing inconsistencies. I’m leaning toward CYA of 30-40 since the test may have been accurate at those times.
You have a cartridge filter, so I assume minimal water loss ( no backwashing) and I assume you haven’’t added CYA containing products.
And for what’s its worth, it’s not a start over, just a prolonged SLAM. :)
When are you going to be able to get more chlorine? The whole town is dry?

A testing inconsistency is possible as the CYA test is really the only one that in my opinion is up to who’s doing the test. I have a Taylor 2006 kit so what is the exact method to use for this? I will do the mix and start dripping it in the vial until i can’t see the black dot on bottom anymore. But to me I can almost always see it for quite a while and when it gets dim I will slow down and go drop by drop looking back in until I can’t see it it all. Is that right?

regarding the bleach, I’m getting more today! It should be much easier to keep it at slam when slam level is 12 not 24 like it was telling me before

- - - Updated - - -

And yes I have a cartridge filter that I’m cleaning every other day so no backwash, but I also have an auto full feeding into my pool that runs every night in case I have any water loss from evaporation etc. I do not think it has been warm enough for much to evaporate

Cya test, pour it in to each line at a time and glance at the dot, then pour to the next line, glance. Pour it back into the mixing bottle and try again as much as needed.

By doing it like this you are always rounding your cya to the next number, which is what we do anyway, and the glance gets rid of your mind interference in the test, so it is more consistent

Yes, I use this just like cfherman, except I run it right up to 50 (I know it is less than 50) glance at the bottom see the dot then run it up to 40 then 30. I lose my dot between the 30 and 40 so 40 it is. Often I will pour it back into the squeeze bottle and do it again.

Also be certain you shake the mixture well for at least 30 seconds or all bets are off.

Does it hurt this process if i start heating the pool? My daughter is wanting to have her bday party next weekend and I am going to have to warm it up. Also would like to be able to get in it and scrub the sides better along with the tile line for the calcium buildup

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.