Jan 5, 2016
Northern California
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 40,000
Hello there. I have been a member since purchasing my home in early 2016 and have been quietly lurking since. ;)

I just signed to have my pool (and pool deck, patio, etc) remodeled and I'm excited to try to chronicle the progress as it happens.

Current state:

~18k gallon in ground plaster pool with spa
1 skimmer, 3 returns (all near shallow end)
Jandy DE filter (I think, its old and painted over)
Single speed pump for filter
Booster pump for vacuum
No heater

Work to be done on the pool:

1. We are having the spa filled in to give us more patio space (we never plan to heat it. we will get a standalone spa if we want warmer water)
2. We are also having a crack fixed (near the steps).
3. Shamu shelf being added with umbrella holder(s)
4. Shallow end being expanded. Current shallow end is small and drops off drasticall into the deep end
5. Adding 2 more returns for better circulation in the deep end
6. Resurface with Wet Edge Primera Stone (color TBD)

Questions:

1. Should I replace the existing light (1 in pool) with an LED (white or color)? I have no plans of ever doing any sort of automation
2. I plan to eventually convert to a SWG. Is there any reason to do this in conjunction with the remodel?
3. I plan to eventually replace the existing filter pump with a VS pump. The current pump works fine. Is there any reason to replace with a VS pump in conjunction with the remodel?

Thanks for the advice over the years (even though you didn't know you were giving it to me).
I'm excited (and nervous) for this remodel to begin. Demo starts on Monday!

-Changeyez

If this is what your pool looks like before!!!!!!!!!! WOW! It is pretty in the picture! I can't wait to see it redone!

light-up to you-to me the colored lights are more of a party show than anything. Once the novelty wears off I think people tend to default to one color

pump-a 2 speed pump would work for you as well. Do the cost difference and go from there. I would do it now so you don't have to worry about plumping and such later on.

SWG-I say go ahead and do it now. If you are redoing all of the other stuff now this will save you from having to cut and/or move stuff later.

Kim:kim:

Well, demo of the pool begins tomorrow. PB came by today and drained it. I'm getting excited!
The pool looks so much bigger without water. And man is it disorienting to stand next to an empty pool and look down.

s5zQhsn.jpg

That is exciting! I hear you on looking down into an empty pool. When I was watering our shell I’d have to step back a little as it looked such a long way down. Sad to hear that it looks bigger without water... ours hasn’t had water in it yet and looks small enough as it is [emoji31] Post pics as you go. Do you have details of the remodel?

For you I will say this-----------Let the MESS begin! LOL Good luck and keep us in the loop!

Have you picked your plaster color yet?

We are re-plumbing everything, installing a new skimmer, adding more returns, adding a "shamu shelf", filling in the "spa", and a whole new pool deck with stamped concrete, cantilevered concrete coping, new waterline tiles, and Primera Stone.

May also upgrade to a new InyoPools Pureline 2.7HP VS Pump and a Pureline SWCG 40K.

Undecided on Primera Stone color and waterline tile color/style yet.

Last edited:
So some updates:

Pool has been stripped and new waterline tile is in.
New Connecticut blue stone coping is going on... We specified flamed edge and not bullnose. They came to install the coping today and after they spent and hour or so cutting it, we realized (wife and I) that they brought bullnose and NOT flame edge.

So now they're going back to the supplier to get the correct coping.

I'll post some pictures later this evening.

So some updates:

Pool has been stripped and new waterline tile is in.
New Connecticut blue stone coping is going on... We specified flamed edge and not bullnose. They came to install the coping today and after they spent and hour or so cutting it, we realized (wife and I) that they brought bullnose and NOT flame edge.

So now they're going back to the supplier to get the correct coping.

I'll post some pictures later this evening.

That’s funny, we import our bluestone from Pennsylvania up here in CT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello everyone! They came and sprayed the Primera Stone today. They are coming back tomorrow to polish it and start the fill.
I plan to manage the startup myself. What chemicals/tools should I have on hand?

Also, all my equipment except for the DE filter is new. I cleaned it so there is zero DE in it right now. Do I just slowly add the DE to the skimmer once the pool is filled and the pump is running?

Thank you!

2018-06-18_1504.jpg

Here is my go to page for plaster start up:
https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/npconline.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/Docs/startup-card-current-rev3_wa.pdf you will want the back page.

Here is a set of links I put together for a new pool owner. This will be helpful once the start up is done:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool Math

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Here is my go to page for plaster start up:
https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/npconline.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/Docs/startup-card-current-rev3_wa.pdf you will want the back page.

Here is a set of links I put together for a new pool owner. This will be helpful once the start up is done:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool Math

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Thanks, Kim! I cleaned my filter so there is zero DE in it right now. Do I just slowly add the DE to the skimmer once the pool is filled and the pump is running?

Just did my testing of my tap water that will be used to fill the pool later today. Here are my readings:

pH = 8.2
FC = 1
CC = 0
TC = 1
CH = 100
TA = 150
CYA = 0

This should be a "fun" startup process. I'm looking forward to really learning and understanding my pool.

Yeah! But you have all of the tools you need to make it Trouble Free!!!

Your pH may be higher than 8.2 as that is as high as it goes. We will find out when you start having you lower it.

You also need to know the new plaster will push the pH up each day as it cures. Some only take 3 months while others can take up to a year so go ahead and get some muriatic acid and find a safe place to store it....NOT with the chlorine. They do not play well together. M.A. is a lone wolf. Do not store it by metal as the fumes may cause rust. I keep mine out side behind the barn were no critters go. Other find a small plastic box to store it. If there are kids in the area you might want to make sure you can lock it somehow to keep the kids out.

The fill begins. PB said someone will be out in a couple days to brush, add chemicals and tell us how to care for it. They also said not to add any chemicals until after that. I guess I'm going to listen to them since they will be the ones handling the warranty. :shrug:. Once they come and leave, it's all mine (following the proper startup procedure of course)!
7c6b3eeb807e4ba859eae88cc5fa51f0.jpg

Just talked to my pool guy (in reality he subbed all the work out to legit builders in my area) and he's really encouraging me to use a local pool "lady" (she is in his phone as "Christina Pool Lady") to do the startup for $625. He used the "if you mess up warranty won't cover it, but if she does she'll pay for it" argument.

Talk me out of it. :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.