Jacksonville, FL - New Build

EminiTrader

Gold Supporter
Mar 20, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
Well I've been going back and forth for weeks with doing a DIY pool or going with a PB. My last PB did me so bad that I had a very hard time trusting another PB. After getting tons of quotes and comparing prices I decided to go with a PB. I would have saved about 8K and while that is significant, I just don't have the time or patience.

However I needed someone I could trust. Finally, we believe we found them. One thing I noticed, and this is probably standard is that most contracts have 95% of the money before the pool is close to being done. I wasn't doing that again. I actually found 2 PB's I was happy with and I told them both the same thing: I can not do a final payment of 5%. Unfortunately the incentive to finish is gone. I proposed a stronger down payment but a final payment of 15% or I was just going to do it myself. One guy said "NOPE" and the other guy needed a week to consider it and said they felt good about me so they did it.

I can certainly see their side of it. They want to get paid. I get. I explained to them that I want them to get paid but their contract is heavily weighed in their favor and the only thing I had to protect myself was holding back cash. Of course I hope this is never an issue but unfortunately I've been burned before.

Lastly I was not happy with the pool heater they wanted to sell me. I really wanted a Raypak and I showed him the one I wanted. They agreed to install it and maintain it for $600 - so I was actually happy with that as the heater they had they wanted 5500 and I found it online for like 2495.

Ok... Enough of that. The deposit was paid tonight and now the process will begin. Being it's the end of March already I don't think I will see anyone outside until maybe the end of April. I am guesstimating the pool will be ready by August.

I will take plenty of pictures and I am going to order a Brinno Construction Camera to time-lapse the entire process. I'm sure it will be quiet the next 4-8 weeks but ya never know!

I'am STILL colorblind and I still have my old LaMotte Color-Q test kit. I know that is not the preferred method here and I will buy the recommended test kit and give it a shot. At some point in the future I am going to run a test video and see how close they are and post the results/video here.

Full disclosure: My last pool I only used what we called back then the BBB method. BBB and my LaMotte and my pool NEVER had algae or issues. Always crystal clear and all I used with pool store bleach (Pinch A Penny sells it in Florida and probably everywhere by now) and a little muriatic to control the PH.

I work at home so I loved having a pool to maintain as it kept me somewhat busy in the afternoons when my work slowed down. Looking forward to having my laptop on the deck with a hot cup of coffee this summer working!

Cheers - pictures to come...

Another Florida pool in the house:D Welcome to TFP. Looking forward to lots of Pics. Please ask questions:cheers:

YEP I will ask a lot of questions. I was part of the old forum years ago and I learned quite a lot there as well!

I am openly taking suggestions for a pool heat pump. Thinking the Raypak r8450.. anyone have any other suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

In to watch and help spend the money!!! JAX is really stacking up the pools! SWEET!

Kim:kim:

Yep lot's of money to be spent. I upgraded the screen enclosure to 20x20 so I wouldn't have to worry about nats so that was a couple grand... then the heater... then I'll want the Dolphin.... and so it goes.

Yep totally agree with the upgraded screen. It may cut down on some uv however I believe it will be very small.

Yep totally agree with the upgraded screen. It may cut down on some uv however I believe it will be very small.

Yeah that's actually a good thing. I'm one of those that needs to wear sunblock everyday as one of the medications I am on kills my skins immune system. TMI? This was one of the main reasons I am not DIY'ng. I could not get a screen with footer done for close to the price of the PB. My screen will be about 14K with the 20x20 and the nano-tech fastneners. I got quotes from 5 screen guys in JAX and even asked for a DIY price and they were all 16-18K and that did not include the footer. If it wasn't for the screen I think I could have done the job by myself and saved a ton but the screen really eats into the potential savings.

Hi Neighbor! We have been having a very tough time getting our pool done. There seems to be a shortage of people who dig the pools in the area. Hopefully the company you went with has their own excavator. We paid our deposit February 8th and still don't have anyone digging. What part of Jax are you in? We are in Bartram Springs.

Hi Neighbor! We have been having a very tough time getting our pool done. There seems to be a shortage of people who dig the pools in the area. Hopefully the company you went with has their own excavator. We paid our deposit February 8th and still don't have anyone digging. What part of Jax are you in? We are in Bartram Springs.

Paige: I used to live down there!! Now I am in Eagle Landing on the west side. Yeah my builder owns their own excavation company and electrical company. Or so they say. They won't give a time frame due to our spring/summer weather. I understand that totally but that's why I didn't want to give them all the money up front.

I do know that PB's are busy as heck. They just left the home show with a lot of signed contracts. Even my hot tub guy told me today (as he was fixing my spa) that they sold 45 just at the home show. So we're booming. Who did you use for your PB? Either here or IM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Paigez: More I think about it that doesn't sound too far out of whack with dates. I figured 6-8 weeks for HOA/Permits so figured I'd start seeing them end of April beginning of May. So if you paid February 8th - they are probably close. But they made me write the $50 check to the HOA so at least I'll know when that gets cashed that the HOA has the papers.

EminiTrader
Hi :handwave: here are a few suggestions if I may?
1. Speaking from experience. Put in a double door on one of the sides. I only had one door and ended up putting in a double door and another single door on the opposite side. I should have listened to my wife
2. Plan on plumbing electrical and water for a future summer kitchen.
3. Plan on adding solar and heat pump in your equipment pad.
4. Make sure that you have a very large equipment pad, our equipment pad is 19 ft long x 9 ft wide.
5. Put lights at pool pad.
6. Put in water spigots in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
7. Put in electrical outlets in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
8. Go with a large outdoor space as possible. We have 1800sq ft of pavers and we wish we did a larger space. You will be quite surprised how much room tables chairs and lounges take up.
9. Run conduits for speaker wires if you plan on wired speakers.
10. Put in footers for future screen cage. Some people do not like the pool cage however we believe in it as we swim a lot at nighttime.
11. Plan on positioning your pool so that you can watch TV comfortably when you are in it. I know that this may sound strange but we love watching TV, football games, NASCAR races and movies when we are relaxing in the pool.
12. Place pool light facing away from the house, we had ours facing towards the house and we notice some glare from it.
Look at the 3 links in my signature bar for ideas. Post lots of pics :cheers:

Hi Brentr:

Thanks for the input! We actually have a lot of that complete!! Shopping for a heater as we speak as the builder agreed to install it for me. TV installed, speakers installed and we will be able to see and hear from pool :) We did this once before and learned a ton and found all the things we wish we did. And now, we still wish we could do more but I can't drop that much money :)

I do have one question - how do you install water spigots? Do I need to have a plumber come out and run lines from my existing? I would LOVE to have at least one spigot inside the deck area as the closest one will be on the side of my house.

I will start posting pictures next week of the back of my house but that will be boring :) THANKS again and keep em comin!

Our water spigots was installed by the pb and our irrigation person connected them to our irrigation system. Hope this helps [emoji2]

@Paigez: More I think about it that doesn't sound too far out of whack with dates. I figured 6-8 weeks for HOA/Permits so figured I'd start seeing them end of April beginning of May. So if you paid February 8th - they are probably close. But they made me write the $50 check to the HOA so at least I'll know when that gets cashed that the HOA has the papers.

Hi! So a little back story, we actually paid a pre deposit of $1000 mid January with spoken intentions that they would start pulling permits and such that way when we paid the full deposit February 8th they would be ready to dig. That did not happen obviously. So we are here at April 2nd and still have no construction started. They are blaming it on the company that the contracted to dig, rebar and gunite. The pool company we went with was Florida Pools and More dba Branrox. My husband had a lengthy conversation with the PB last week and we were "promised" the pool shell would be done by April 13th with a complete pull finish date of May 12th ( barring major weather). I know it is busy season but when we started this project we were told it would def be done by Mid May as we didn't want a large construction site all summer due to all the kids on our street who play in all of our back yards during the summer months. We would have happily waited until fall. Also I went with my own Enclosure guy and he was $4000 cheaper than the PB. Really nice guy. I also upgraded to the 20/20 screen :)

Well I made my initial deposit on March 28 and today they unexectedly showed up and started grading! With all the rain in JAX I didn't think I'd see these guys for another week or two. I bought a Brinno TLC200 time lapse camera and when this is all done I'll post some of those videos. But here's some pics:

IMG_2979.jpg
IMG_2984.jpg
IMG_2989.jpg
IMG_2971.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.