future replacement of the ecostar VSP3400

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

Had an electronic flyer pass by that advertised SPECK VSP's. Does anyone have an opinion on how their VSP's operate compared to my Hayward model?

After my experience w the Hayward ecostar, I'm ready to switch to anything else that is reliable and has moderate scalability of speeds. I don't mind set increments but I don't want limited ranges. I'm also ok w programming pump from pad and forget the automation aspect of it.

An Electrical Engr I know called Hayward and they admitted that the controller on the ecostar was, in essence, defective over time and highly subject to premature failure. I hated to hear this bc I paid good money for one, but I cannot go thru the 3 yr nightmare I've had and Hayward has washed their hands of anymore ownership of my Ecostar...pertains to both during the warranty periods at the end and now after warranty. I recently went on a spring break vacation, and sure enough, CHECK SYSTEM and VSP PUMP ERROR...I had left a key for someone to my house and the alarm code so they could go reset the breaker. Had enough...just want to enjoy my pool vs having to constantly worry when ecostar is going to fail...

If anyone has any questions on PVC sizes, distances, applications, etc, let me know and I will provide you w all. Again, just want to get a reliable pump and not have to worry about it cratering after leaving house for a few days.

thanks again and really appreciate your help,
tstex

I replaced a beat legacy whisperflow 2speed setup with an easyfit-v one about 20 months ago;
I think I got it fairly direct from them; EasyFit Pumps | Pentair Hayward Sta-Rite Replacement Pumps | Speck
I emailed back and forth with them a bit on fittings and such and at one point they connected me the assembly plant to confirm some things;
You'll see with a quick browse their fittings are extremely versatile;
I received emails from easyfit.com and badujetstore.com swim-jet and the like; But they seemed fairly responsive.

I had two scares recently where the LCD digits went out but still backlit and everything, not sure what caused it; but cycled the power and the display has come back fine twice.

It is 100% variable; 1% increments and what ever the equivalent measured RPMs are; 3 presets for scheduling.

I just ordered a vlink wifi cloud controller....but a little hesitant because supposedly to some extent it is only controllable through the app and no longer at the control box on the pump; so that does not seem super viable; I got to use the cloud app to backwash and things like that? ....that might just be the presets though manual overrides for high/low may still be functional....I hope so.
There is supposed to be more machine data analysis from the cloud app to really tweak down power consumption I really wish I could just get the API via thick client on my own network and not have to connect up to them; but it looks fully browser-based at their cloud server or android/ios apps; there has been some chatter on the interweb that sometimes their server goes down and it 'aight exactly five 9's SLA, sometimes operators got to call in to remind them to fix it.

It has a minimum 1 minute low speed prime via the controller which again is a bit painful for backwashing IMO; I feel like I get a little bit more back when I can kind of like thrash full power with the legacy rig.

It comes with at least 1 auxiliary control circuit and an expansion board available for at least 3 more.

The orange insignia quickly faded a bit even under my shade trees;
1586027374044.png

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.