New Pool Startup

Jul 21, 2017
Monroe Township
Have a new pool, 32,000 gallon vinyl pool. Since I switched to TFP.com, everything was running smoothly.

Last year the seam near the steps did not hold, the pool company fixed it (under warranty) but now they are going to replace the liner (also under warranty).

With this, I get a fresh start once again....lucky me.

Does anyone have a procedure to follow for this?

This is a 32,000 Salt Water Pool, custom form, vinyl liner. What else is needed and what steps.

Please note that the liner will be replaced the first week of April, then they will officially open the pool the first week of May. Not sure if I add the salt when the change the liner and fill it or wait until the official opening (assuming they will not turn on pumps or anything else).

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you!

TFP.com fan!

Hello and congrats on the warranty repairs. Good to hear someone actually receiving good follow-up work from their installer. As for the start-up, simple really. Consider the following:
1 - CYA: New water has none, so use the calculator to increase CYA as appropriate (30 min for non-SWG and min 70 for SWG pools). If you chose to wait to add salt, you may start at 30 and add more stabilizer later. Really up to you. Unlike new plaster pools, as soon as the water is in the pool, I see no reason why you couldn't get that salt in there, but it's up to you.
2 - FC: Add some regular bleach once water is able to circulate. Only an initial target of about 2-3 ppm at first on day one while your stabilizer is dissolving. One day 2 and beyond, you can increase the FC with bleach to about 4-5. If you chose to start using the SWG, then you can back-away from the bleach and let the SWG start to do the work for you. Adjust FC output, % settings, and pump run time as desired to meet your FC demands.
3 - PH: Test and adjust as necessary
4 - TA: Test and adjust as necessary
5 - CH: While not required for a vinyl pool, check all of your equipment manuals that you may have (i.e. SWG, heater, etc) as they apply to see if they have a minimum requirement.

Always refer to the TFP recommended levels chart (link below) and test at required intervals to keep everything looking TFP clear. Good luck!

Ok, I am just getting started now....liner is in. Pool is full. Should I add the salt first then follow the above directions (thank you again)? Any recommendations on salt? I am reading some horror stories on brands of salt...staining, etc....Morton's from Lowe's seems to have good reviews.

--Mike

Yes Mike, follow the notes above in post #2. For salt, you can get the kind you use in a water softener Morton's is good. Salt should be about 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. Some folks will also buy solar salt. For example: Morton 40-lb Salt Solar Crystals. Pool salt is also fine to use, but tends to be much more expensive. Avoid table salt, rock salt, and deicing salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.