Black Algae? I didn't maintain FC during winter :-(

The fc test is in accurate over 10 fc, I don't know about the probe though.

This should read the pH test is not accurate with FC over 10

TA is pretty low and will need to be managed after the SLAM is complete.

Focus on FC only at this point. Try to test a few times a day and keep the FC at or above the SLAM level. Every time it drops below SLAM level, algae wins a little.

Recent pictures in the sun. Looks a lot better in the sun, but in the shade the walls look terrible.

20170201_163402.JPG
20170201_163404.JPG

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. I'm losing some steam here though. Been scrubbing about once a day and maintaining SLAM FC for about a week and a half. The sides of the walls are very slightly better, but still significant round black / green marks. I'm not sure if its still the black algae, or some metal corrosion?

How long does this process usually take? I have family coming over from out of town, and obviously they won't be able to swim :-(

I had a few pool people come over and they ALL say I need to drain and acid wash. One guy told me to re epoxy or something. One said I had to re plaster and that was like $5k!

One wanted to sell me algicide with copper or something.

Acid wash is running around $3-400 plus the cost of refilling my water. To re epoxy or paint would be $900.

I'm really getting frustrated at the minimal progress i'm seeing. The pool companies are saying the algae is in my walls and is going to come back all the time and I need to acid wash just to hold it back for a year or two until I re plaster.

The colored plaster I have is also causing problems because they say they can't use chlorine powder since it will stain my colored plaster. That is why they want to acid wash.

What do you guys think??? I'm kind of leaning towards getting the acid was for $350 and being done with this thing once and for all!

It is safe to swim if your FC is at or below shock level, your pH is in the 7's, and you can see the bottom of the deep end.

With aged plaster and if you have deep rooted black algae the process can take very long. But normally you can reduce the FC level somewhat for the extended time period. Read the Black Algae article in Pool School.

Take care.

Again, I see nothing in your pics (or description) to indicate black algae........stop following that path.

Instead, assume you have calcium deposits (scale) on your pool walls and that scale is embedded with green algae......now brush the "stains" with your bare hand.....is the pool rough to the touch or smooth? Rough would indicate scale. Tell us what you feel and we'll go from there.

Sooner or later, you will need to listen to a single source of advice. Trying to co-mingle what you are hearing is not working.

Again, I see nothing in your pics (or description) to indicate black algae........stop following that path. Assume you have calcium deposits (scale) on your pool

I think you are correct Dave! I did pour muriatic acid over some stains on my steps (only area I could directly pour the acid on where there were stains and it clouded up right away and the stains did get much better. What do I do for calcium build up?

IMG_20180329_090638.jpg

Pumice stone? But the entire walls are filled with the stains, that would take some significant labor.

I think I read that adding baking soda would help? I think I'm getting closer to solving this dilemma!

Thanks so much for the help!!!!

Scale adhered onto a pool wall can be removed by....

1. Drain and acid wash - probably the worst option but it is fast.

2. No-drain acid wash - good option but takes a few weeks often and some carful attention and understanding.

3. Dropping pH below suggested levels - takes a LONG time and requires careful attention to pH.

You can read about these three methods by googling them on this website. I personally would lower pH....but understand that fix can take a year or more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Dave,

I think i'm going to leave it as is for now. I have to budget for a new vacuum / dolphin / robot thing and also I just found out there is a suction leak in my pipes somewhere. So I'm going to worry about those things first. I can't believe I was chasing the black algae tail for a few weeks killing myself brushing the cr*p out of these stains and it wasn't even algae! Duh! I feel like an idiot.

Thanks for the help guys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.