Warning for solar covers and pets

Reddogdan

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2013
Mansfield, Texas
The Saturday before Christmas, or 14 year old Llaso Apso slipped into the pool and slid below the solar cover. Nobody knew it happened until I found him later. I am seriously considering removing mine as it could have done the same thing to another pet or my grandson although he is not allowed in the backyard without an adult.

Oh nooooooo. That happened to a friend of mine back home as well. So sad, and I'm very sorry for your loss. :( That must've been devastating. Those fur kids of ours just don't understand the dangers. That very issue is mentioned in one of our TFP safety pages as well Pool School - Re: Pool School Pool Safety. Unfortunately, there's no magic remedy other than constant supervision, an pet-secure perimeter, or total removal. Even some pets drown without a cover because they simply lose their bearings and can't find their way out, panic, and become exhausted. In any case, very sorry to hear about your Llaso Apso. :angel:

Sorry for the loss of your dog.

My brother fell in to a pool with a solar cover when we were kids. Luckily someone saw him and jumped in to pull him out.

The first day our current pool had the solar cover our dog thought it was solid and fell in when he tried to step on it. Luckily we were there to pull him out.

Our solution is a tensioned safety net over the pool. It keeps everyone out and gives us piece of mind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.