Same here Complete newbie II with brand new pool. Please help me get started!

Mar 4, 2018
Houston, TX
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking on this site for some time learning how to manage my new pool.
A lot of GREAT INFO on this site!
Thought it was time to "Jump In" with some questions. Hope I do this posting correctly as I have never posted before.
Do you manage the PH, TA, and CH to get to a balanced CSI, and then manage your FC?
Which do you start with first if/when the balance gets out of adjustment?

My reading from today
FC-7.2
CC-.2
PH-7.6
TA-90
CH-210
CYA-50
Calculated CSI/PoolMath -0.17

TC,

Welcome to TFP.. A great place to find the answers to all your pool management questions.... :shark:

Sorry, you have been hanging around here too long, because all your numbers look pretty good to me...:p

The main key to the TFP process is to always.... always keep your FC and CYA relationship per this chart... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

The next key is keeping the pH in range, and as part of that making sure TA says above 50 or 60.. You should not change TA just to match some number on a chart.. Unless way high or way too low. Just keep after pH and TA will take a back seat..

Never let you CYA get over 50 for a non-saltwater pool, if you can help it..

Your CH is a little low but I suspect that it will come up on its own.. If you want you can bring it up to 250 but no rush.

Thanks for posting... or was that just you bragging about your good numbers...;)

Jim R.

Not bragging at all.
Wanting to make sure Im on the right path to a TFP.
Ya, my CYA is high because the PB put in a lot of stabilizer at pool startup along with chlorine pucks.
The stabilizer ended up in the cyclone filter and I emptied it out after a lot of reading on this AWESOME site.
My CYA has been a 50 for some time and I am now using liquid chlorine.
I found the FC/CYA chart some time ago and have it printed out and in my test kit along with the TFP recommended guidelines.

For the CSI am I correct in you want to always be in balance?

TC,

If you stay with the basic TFP guidelines, the CSI should be ok, but it never hurts to double check...

Any CSI between +.6 and -.6 is "ok"... +.3 and -.3 is "better" and -0 is perfect... But I really don't focus on the CSI unless it is really out of range for some weird reason.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.