Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long can a pool stay dry

1. Back To Top    #1

How long can a pool stay dry

I am thinking of draining my pool and refreshing it with new water. I have a repair that may be easier with water out of the pool. I have a pebble interior. If temps here in the desert are 80's..... how long can this pool stay dry before needed to be filled back up?
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How long can a pool stay dry

Make your repair as soon as it empties, as quickly as you can, then fill back up. If the water table is high in your area, i wouldn't drain.

I saw that you are in the desert, but i have to put that water table line in there for obvious reasons.

There is no duration of time that is ok to leave a pool empty that would apply across the board. And air temp would be different than direct sunlight on plaster. As well as humidity. There is more to it than just the water table. You may be able to get a pool company to take the risk of just draining for you, and you do the work. But i wouldn't
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak (Rheem, Rudd), Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there some sort of chemical issue? Old/new water isn't really a thing otherwise (unless you're Matt Damon on Mars).
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown View Post
    Make your repair as soon as it empties, as quickly as you can, then fill back up. If the water table is high in your area, i wouldn't drain.

I saw that you are in the desert, but i have to put that water table line in there for obvious reasons.

There is no duration of time that is ok to leave a pool empty that would apply across the board. And air temp would be different than direct sunlight on plaster. As well as humidity. There is more to it than just the water table. You may be able to get a pool company to take the risk of just draining for you, and you do the work. But i wouldn't

Thanks, I definitely don't have the high water table issue as you mentioned with me being in the desert. The repair can easily be done with water in the pool, it's a light issue, but I just figured I might try to repair it while I was draining anyways. I may just hold off on that and if I do decide to drain the pool, I'll revisit the pool light later when the water is back in. Knowing my schedule, I will drain it, and then it'll take 2 weeks for me to even have time to repair the light.

As far as why Im draining, it has to do with my very high calcium levels, etc. It kills my Intellichlor with all the cleaning and I just purchased a new one, so I figured I'd start fresh. Still debating on whether to do that or not.
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If it is a light that is burned out, you can remove the fixture from the niche and there should be enough cord to bring it up onto the deck and work on it.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak (Rheem, Rudd), Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.