Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Walmart Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Walmart Bleach

Haven't stopped by in a few weeks, but I noticed today at Walmart that they have a new label on their bleach.

The new label has a small 2 on it.

The one I've gotten for the past 3 years has a small 1 on the label.

Actually, there were jugs of both today, but more of the '2s' than '1s'.

Not sure if they are discontinuing the '1s' or not, but i checked, and the '2s' are only
    6%!!

I grabbed 5 of the 8.25% '1s' and mozied on outta there.

15K IG Plaster (1991), Pentair
    FNS 60- DE;Centurion 2.20HP, PB4 Booster Pump. spa spillover, Polaris 380, TF-100; SpeedStir​

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Walmart Bleach

Yeah, Clorox started it- a downward trend again to 6% bleach from 8%, and the generics are following suit. Perhaps Clorox makes everyone's bleach, who knows?!

Don't forget to check in the pool section in Walmart for their 10% liquid chlorine. It may be your best buy. Don't forget to check date codes though so you buy the freshest.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Noticed this last week as well. In my store, there was no 8.25% to be found, Great Value, or any other brand. Thankfully our pool isle had the liquid chlorine with bottles from February of 2018.
    18 X 34 AGP 7ft deep end, 22,300 gallons. 250lb sand filter, 2 speed 1.5 hp pump. TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Walmart near me had the pool stuff in stock in the seasonal section. They had 'Chlorinating Liquid' 10% for $3.64/gallon
    20' X 40' IG vinyl lined; 31,300 gallons; built ~30years ago
    Hayward 1HP Single Speed Pump w/Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2006,Rola-chem sodium hypo feeder/ 15 gallon tank
    Fill from soft/neutral well water, low flowrate well pump

5. Back To Top    #5

The 10% chlorine liquid is $3.64 here in Kentucky as well. The date was 009, so I will wait until they get another shipment before I go get me several jugs.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kywildcats View Post
    The 10% chlorine liquid is $3.64 here in Kentucky as well. The date was 009, so I will wait until they get another shipment before I go get me several jugs.
    So.... 009 means January 9th? Its March 14 today. Jan 9th is too old? Also, how are you sure it is the correct year.
    26k In-Ground Vinyl 38' x 18', Hayward Aqua Plus with Goldline T-Cell-15 SWG, Hayward TriStar 1.5 HP Pool Pump (2 Speed), Swimclear Cartridge filter C200s, Hayward Booster Pump (6060), 2 Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 lights
    Gemini style with jump rocks and waterfall, Taylor K-2006 / Speed Stir, Seven 4x12 'Solar Industries' Solar Panels on 2-story roof, Built 2017 in Chesapeake, Virginia. -Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by goody222 View Post
    So.... 009 means January 9th? Its March 14 today. Jan 9th is too old? Also, how are you sure it is the correct year.
    Yes, 009 means January 9th. I think it's borderline too old, or maybe I'm too picky. I have bought it less than 45 days old most times. 2018 was listed on the bottle, I'm sorry I didn't specify.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by goody222 View Post
    Yes, 009 means January 9th. I think it's borderline too old, or maybe I'm too picky. I have bought it less than 45 days old most times. 2018 was listed on the bottle, I'm sorry I didn't specify.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks for the date breakdown. good to know..... do you think that's the same for all brands?
    20'x40' vinyl liner pool, 23K gallons, filter: Hayward DE 3600 4820, 1hp single speed 1.65 V-Green VS motor, Circupool RJ-45 SWG, 1.5 inch PVC, 2 skimmers/1 main drain, 3 returns and 2 bubble jets @ stairs, and a partridge in a pair tree. testing: K-2006, Salt; K-1766, Test Strips; Aquachek 7. calculator: PoolMath

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by FLAK111 View Post
    thanks for the date breakdown. good to know..... do you think that's the same for all brands?
    Same for all brands. Julian date calendar https://www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/...n-calendar.pdf

I got a few 32 and 54 last week which was pretty good for my Walmart. They still have stuff from 2017.
    23k gal IG, plaster; IntelliPro 4 x 160 Variable Speed; STA-RITE S7M120 300 sqft cartridge filter; Intellichlor IC40 SWG; Pentair EasyTouch; Maytronics Dolphin Triton Plus robotic cleaner named "Domo" (arigato Mr. Roboto); Hot Spring Vanguard Spa, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir, SampleSizer w/Taylor Calibrated Cylinders and FlowVis Flow Meter from TFTestkits.net. Auto fill and Auto drain. Chlorine / CYA Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

Perfect. thank you!
    20'x40' vinyl liner pool, 23K gallons, filter: Hayward DE 3600 4820, 1hp single speed 1.65 V-Green VS motor, Circupool RJ-45 SWG, 1.5 inch PVC, 2 skimmers/1 main drain, 3 returns and 2 bubble jets @ stairs, and a partridge in a pair tree. testing: K-2006, Salt; K-1766, Test Strips; Aquachek 7. calculator: PoolMath

11. Back To Top    #11

I was at Home Depot yesterday, and noticed they have an Outdoor Bleach which I know is not "our bleach."
    They also have a HDX (Home Depot) Germicidal Bleach which is 8.25% for $2.99 a jug vs the $2.94 that Great Value (Walmart) was priced at.

I presume this Germicidal Bleach is fine for our pools.

Please advise if not.

15K IG Plaster (1991), Pentair
    FNS 60- DE;Centurion 2.20HP, PB4 Booster Pump. spa spillover, Polaris 380, TF-100; SpeedStir​

12. Back To Top    #12

Was buying Clorox 8.25 percent bleach at Sams before they added the extra ingredient and called it "Performance Bleach with Cloromax". Then started using Walmart or others to get the 8.25 percent, which, when it was introduced, was labeled "regular concentrated". There was a big promotion by Clorox and info saying that concentrated meant 8.25%, or 33% stronger than regular. Stopped by Walmart yesterday and the bottles of off-brand bleach still says concentrated, but it's been brought down to 6%, but the price remains the same. Tried the dollar store... same thing. The way they, Clorox, touted the "concentrated" bleach, seems a little dishonest not to disclose the change back to 6%, and still leaving "concentrated" on the label. Criminal, in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Underwater Man; 03-18-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: goof up
    My pool… 30K gunite free form, 3 ft. to 11 ft. deep, with 700 gallon spill over spa. White plaster, Jandy 60 sq. ft. DE filter, 2HP Jandy Stealth Pump, 3/4 HP booster pump, Jandy color changing lights, Jandy 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris EOS command center with in-house controls, and shortcut remote next to spa. Hayward goldline valve actuators. 2HP Polaris QT blower for spa. Dolphin Dynamic robotic cleaner. Inline Chlorinator which is used with trichlor pucks ONLY when I need to raise my CYA, which I try to keep around 30 to 40 ppm.

13. Back To Top    #13

Is the 6% great value bleach from Walmart safe to use in a pinch if the 10% pool essentials is not available?

14. Back To Top    #14

It's safe to use all the time as long as it's the plain "Cleaning Bleach", and not one of the scented or "Easy Pour" varieties. You'll just need to use almost twice as much since it's weaker is all.
    16x28 oval partially-sunken AGP, 11k gallons
    1.5hp Haworth pump, media filter, H150 heater

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks geko29, I was worried about any 'performance additives'. I've been using Walmart's 8.25 great value plain concentrated bleach for the last several years.

16. Back To Top    #16

I know this thread is about Wal Mart bleach, but I just experienced the same thing at Dollar Genera with their house brand bleach.
    This change is definitely NOT limited to Wal Mart.
    20K gal, IG vinyl, Waterfall on 2nd pump (1HP US Motor), Dolphin cleaning system, Central Arkansas, installed 1999
    2 Haywood Super Pumps, 1HP (main and waterfall pumps), Purex Triton II (TR 60) Sand Filter (replaced original 2016)

17. Back To Top    #17

I know we all are not fans of the pool store, but in Florida with a coupon that Leslies emails out regularly I get 5 gallons of 10% for $7. And it is a refill of 2.5 gallon jugs which makes it easier to transport and I am not throwing away all those 1 gallon jugs.
    18K IG Gunite Pool Florida GEM finish with attached Spa replastered May 2017. Hayward Salt System. Dolphin M500 and SolarBreeze NX. TFT-100. Hayward CX1750RE Cartridge Filter. Hayward H400FDP Propane pool heater.

18. Back To Top    #18

Have you checked pool supply stores? I just assumed they were more expensive and I kept going to multiple home depots, walmarts, and target stores. I apologize to anyone in the area that can't find bleach for their laundry!

Anyway, the best deal I found was Home Depot HDX germicidal bleach 8.25% for $3/gal, but I then called a local pool supply store (great escape) and they had 12.5% for $3/gal. And my favorite part was they had pallets and pallets of it so I could just make one stop.
    35,000 gallon outdoor pool. Plaster. Hayward sp71520 vavle Hayward S310T2 sand filter. chlorine only (no SWG). Polaris PB4-60 for robot cleaner. Pentair SF-N1-1-1 pool pump. Jandy Lite2 heater LG325N. TF-100 test kit.

19. Back To Top    #19

Man seems Leslies is not too bad of a deal at $14 out the door for 4 gal 10% bleach. across the street from me also
    Imagine/Freedom 13x23 fiberglass inground. 11,200gal. 3/4hp pentair pump. Pentair cc200 cartridge filter. Tf-100 test kit. TFP!

20. Back To Top    #20

This is the coupon that I get mailed from Leslies. Don’t know if it is available in the whole country. But it is a pretty good deal.

EE63F563-E271-4052-8259-548A25E97E87.jpg
    18K IG Gunite Pool Florida GEM finish with attached Spa replastered May 2017. Hayward Salt System. Dolphin M500 and SolarBreeze NX. TFT-100. Hayward CX1750RE Cartridge Filter. Hayward H400FDP Propane pool heater.