Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Location of salt cell

1. Back To Top    #1

Location of salt cell

Hi, we just had our 18x33 Matrix installed and Iím wondering why they placed the salt cell on the pool wall while the pump is hard plumbed 20-25 ft away.... The cable for the cell is only 15 ft and it has to connect to the timer which then has to connect to the pump, correct? It seems the cell should be located close to the other equipment. Am I wrong about this or will I need to relocate the cell? Thanks, Iím as new as they come concerning this!!
    Wilbur Matrix 18x33x54 AGP (15,700 gal) with Heavy Duty liner. Hayward 1.5hp Dual Speed Pump with Hayward S210 Sand filter. Aquatrol RJ salt chlorinator and Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40i. TF-100 with Salt test kit. Mark in Central Florida, Installed 03/2018

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Location of salt cell

The RJ model does not use a flow switch, so the cell needs to be vertical and next to the pool so that gasses can get out if the pump is off.

I would recommend the other model with the flow switch and the cell near the other equipment.

Having the cell so close to the return might cause chlorine gas to be lost, which causes pH rise and wastes chlorine.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh, okay. Seeing as it is already installed I don’t really want to undo it unless it is likely to be a problem. If I keep it as is, will I need to mount the Aquatrol box within the 15 ft reach of the cord or is it possible to get an extension or longer replacement cord?
    Last edited by Mdhkdh; 03-08-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Re-read the reply
    Wilbur Matrix 18x33x54 AGP (15,700 gal) with Heavy Duty liner. Hayward 1.5hp Dual Speed Pump with Hayward S210 Sand filter. Aquatrol RJ salt chlorinator and Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40i. TF-100 with Salt test kit. Mark in Central Florida, Installed 03/2018

4. Back To Top    #4

Some cells are available with a 25' cord.

I would go back to the installer and ask them to make it right.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

The RetroJet cell should be plugged into the power supply. That power supply should be plugged into the timer. For the RetroJet system, the cell must be installed on the pool. I think you can get cell extension cables from the manufacturer.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

if you paid for a install, proper installation comes with it, most of the time!
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener