Borate Users

Boric acid is the better method. The cost is about the same but it is MUCH easier. Boric acid is a weak acid so it changes pH very little while borax is a strong base and raises pH strongly. Accidental scaling of calcium is much more likely with borax.

It does look like Bulk Apothecary is a little cheaper than Duda Diesel, which is where I normally buy my boric acid.

Matt, my question was more about where forum users are buying their boric acid these days (the ones that use it).

The reason I ask is because I found somewhere that I can buy A LOT of boric acid from for REALLY CHEAP. Like 6 pallets of it. Way more than I can use in a lifetime but I was thinking I could save some forum members some money by selling it on here. Not in an official capacity, I mean I don't have a business selling pool chemicals, more like a friendly hook-up for us forum members. The only problem is that it's in powder form instead of granular form. So I'm trying to decide if it would be beneficial at all to buy the stuff or not if no one is going to want it. It seems like most people on here use the granular form and I don't know if they would be willing to switch to save some cash.

No to powdered form. It's way too fine and even the slightest breeze (like a cat breathing heavily) will cause it to go all over the place. It will also float on the water rather than sink and dissolve.

You want granular boric acid...period.

What if you mixed it with water inside the house and then added the slurry to the pool? That's what I do with my baking soda when making TA adjustments.

Seems like a lot of neat work to me. Your average sized pool needs 25-35lbs of boric acid to reach 50ppm B concentration. At a room temperature solubility of 57 g/L (~ 0.5 lb/gal), that’s going to be a lot of trips back and forth.

Meh.

Difference is $35 versus about $80 delivered. Not really a big deal to me. Being lazy and just tossing a few pounds of granules into the pool with a quick brush is a big deal to me. Honestly, if I were forced to use the borax/MA method where you kinda have to premix the borax in a bucket and add it slowly to the pool, I wouldn’t add borates at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whatever floats your boat. The ProTeam stuff is just a mixture of borax/boric acid to produce a pH neutral effect. Boric acid does lower pH but not typically by more than 0.2-0.3 units for a 50ppm B load. Since most people have issues with rising pH, the boric acid method works well. That said, you do have to buy large quantities of boric acid (25lbs buckets) as opposed nicely packaged bottles.

It’s kind of like liquid CYA versus granular CYA - pros & cons for both but you eventually get the same effect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.